Old Ralph G. Smith Photos

Not a Mack,but this Farmall picture was on the wall in Johnnys Diner as long as i can remember,i asked to borrow it so i could make a copy, i just thought it was a really neat picture!..............................Mark

You bet,Mark.Any of those old truck stop/diner pictures surrounded by the trucks of that period are cool! I don't know who's got more plates in that picture,the diner or the truck!! Ha,Ha!!

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Not a Mack,but this Farmall picture was on the wall in Johnnys Diner as long as i can remember,i asked to borrow it so i could make a copy, i just thought it was a really neat picture!..............................Mark

Mark

Nice looking' sleeper cab KB International with an old Fruehauf drop frame!

Thank's for sharing it with us.

Ron

• Like 1

Thanks guys! i also enjoy seeing old pictures like this,part of growing up in the diner capitol of world (Jersey) i guess! its been hanging up in my toyroom for years.................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

As a kid living in south central PA, I remember a few real truck stops. One was on the west side of Duncansville at the foot of Cresson mountain, one at the top of Cresson mountain (Cresson Ridge Truck Stop if I remember correctly), and Peggy's Diner (not really a truck stop but a restaurant) just south of Claysburg. Peggy's Diner is still in business today at the same location. The others have closed. Wish I had a camera then and took lots of pictures. The Post House (Greyhound bus station) in Breezywood was a neat place (closed too). Of course Breezywood itself was a neat place "back in the day". Routes 22, 30, and 220 were the major highways. Love seeing pics of old truck stops, trucks, and restaurants/businesses. You could always tell where there was good food....lots of trucks in the parking lot. Keep posting those old pics! :twothumbsup:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

As a kid living in south central PA, I remember a few real truck stops. One was on the west side of Duncansville at the foot of Cresson mountain, one at the top of Cresson mountain (Cresson Ridge Truck Stop if I remember correctly), and Peggy's Diner (not really a truck stop but a restaurant) just south of Claysburg. Peggy's Diner is still in business today at the same location. The others have closed. Wish I had a camera then and took lots of pictures. The Post House (Greyhound bus station) in Breezywood was a neat place (closed too). Of course Breezywood itself was a neat place "back in the day". Routes 22, 30, and 220 were the major highways. Love seeing pics of old truck stops, trucks, and restaurants/businesses. You could always tell where there was good food....lots of trucks in the parking lot. Keep posting those old pics! :twothumbsup:

I agree Ken,my Dad said Breezewood was quite the place back then!i have an old cigar box my Dad carried in the truck,it has a "token"in it, a little wooden coin,good for a FREE cup of coffee at the Post House!along with some S&H Greenstanps!...........Mark

Guess while we're on the subject of old Farmalls/Pictures,heres one of my Dad Circa 1965,the plate he's pointing to says "Smile, you're on Radar" which he said was really not nesessary,because his Transtar was powrered by the "Super" VT-9-0- Nothing Cummins!...........Photo Credit goes to my Mom!......Mark

Mark

Speaking of the VT903

The 400 series Brockway numbered #176 back in the pictures of our old trucks was powered by it's predecessor the V8265.

It was also a real world beater!

We had five of them and they had fuller 10B11 transmissions in them (Fullers version of the duplex),

the auxiliary stick was behind the main, Brockway's homemade shift tower, (opposite of an "F" model mack), was very awkward to shift into high range!

Would've been easier to have your co-driver stay awake, back in the bunk, and pull it back into high range when you were ready for it!

Thank God they had all that horsepower so you didn't have to shift them that much! (HA HA).

These things had two other nasty habits if I recall, the fans used to like to come loose from the engine and then propel themselves into the radiators.

Also the transmissions were notorious for coming loose from the flywheel housings!

Needless to say they didn't keep horseshoes on them for very long!

Ron

• Like 1

Ron,i would have to agree! my Dad said the 903 was a real "Power-mouse" and i quote "Did'nt have the horse to pull a damn cork out of a bottle"! he ran this IH up until late 1971 pulling produce between South Jersey and Florida. He got tired of getting "stiffed" on freight bills from shady brokers,and dealing with all the BS that goes along with pulling a reefer,decided to hang it up (produce-wise) went out an bought a brand new 1972 White-Freightliner C.O.E with a 1693 Cat,13 speed,leased on with North American Van Lines in their Electronics/ Special products fleet,he stayed leased there almost 30 years,wore out 6 more trucks! I guess thats how i got my start in the Moving & Storage Bus.,rode with Dad many a summer,folded a SHITPOT of pads! rolled up i don't know how many straps! but feel i learned from one of the best! NAVL had kinda went downhill at the time i started,so i went on with Atlas,stayed there 22 years,i have only worn out 3 trucks so-far! LOL!.....................Mark

• Like 1

Mike,

I'm not that good of a writer,

and besides that I don't know what section of the bookstore you'd find it in?

Drama, Mystery, or Comedy?

Ron

LOL! trucking can sure be a "mixed bag" thats for sure!.................Mark

Mike,

I'm not that good of a writer,

and besides that I don't know what section of the bookstore you'd find it in?

Drama, Mystery, or Comedy?

Ron

Get someone to document the information for you. Would be a great book and include a bunch of pics.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I agree Ken,my Dad said Breezewood was quite the place back then!i have an old cigar box my Dad carried in the truck,it has a "token"in it, a little wooden coin,good for a FREE cup of coffee at the Post House!along with some S&H Greenstanps!...........Mark

Used to go through Breezewood all the time in the 80's. Used to come up 522 out of Winchester, then take 70 to Breezewood and get on the turnpike. Breezewood looked like New York City at night, to me anyway, with all the motels, restaurants, truckstops, and everything was lit up. It was several years before I ever saw it in the daytime, and it didn't look nearly as impressive.

I drove a 74 Transtar with a VT903. I liked it, it would out pull most of the 290's we had...plus it sounded great.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That's a neat old pic, Mark!

I know I've been to the Post House because my Dad would never pass through Breezewood without stopping, but I can't place it. Was it on the same side of 30 as the TA? The only place I have a vivd memory of is the The former Union 76, which is now a Petro. The little lot they have where you first come in used to be the only parking they had.

Jim

That's a neat old pic, Mark!

I know I've been to the Post House because my Dad would never pass through Breezewood without stopping, but I can't place it. Was it on the same side of 30 as the TA? The only place I have a vivd memory of is the The former Union 76, which is now a Petro. The little lot they have where you first come in used to be the only parking they had.

Jim,the Post House was where the Petro is now.......................................Mark

Mark,

We used to also haul household goods, not to the extent that we hauled horses, was mostly local with an occasional long distance trip.

We were agents for Greyhound Van Lines, Smyth Greyhound, and finally had an affiliation with Interstate Van Lines before going it alone.

Our father also had a deal in the early seventies with North American.

It seems they got a contract to haul household goods of personnel of a U.S. Naval base that they were closing down in CranstonR.I. to one in Jacksonviile Fla.

I guess North American bit off a little more than they could chew and they needed a lot of help.

Somehow father got hooked up with them to do some of the work.

We used North American's trailers or Transport Pool trailers, they would already be loaded in Cranston, (by the Navy--nice pack jobs!) and had to be taken to Jacksonville.

It was a drop and hook single man operation.

This was when he bought our first 2 maxidyne powered "F" models, they were used and came from Allentown Mack.

These things were something else, never driven anything like them!

Hired a bunch of new drivers too, we were spread a little thin too!

I can think of two drivers, in particular, that had been with us for quite sometime that were doing this.

One guy was named Bill he was never in a real big hurry but was slow and steady, he had a'64 "F" model with END-864V-8 in it and a thirteen speed triplex transmission.

The other guy's name was Jim, he had '68 Brockway with an 8V-71 318 Detroit in it and believe it or not a TO905 fuller, yes that's a five speed overdrive transmission!

These things should have never been built this way but Brockway unfortunately would build it just about anyway you wanted it, at least they did for our father.

My brothers and I, to this day say, the Mack Co. would never have built them.

Anyway once you got these things launched, which wasn't always easy, they would flat out fly.

You know if you have a truck that will run 78-80 miles you can probably find somebody who will run it that fast.

Bill and Jim used to leave Cranston, R.I. together they wouldn't stay together long before Jim would run away from Bill.

Bill usually caught up with him around Dunn, N.C., the only problem was Bill was still heading south and Jim was northbound!

Ron

Great story Ron! i owe you a raincheck too! all out of likes!.............................Mark

• Like 1

Mark,

We used to also haul household goods, not to the extent that we hauled horses, was mostly local with an occasional long distance trip.

We were agents for Greyhound Van Lines, Smyth Greyhound, and finally had an affiliation with Interstate Van Lines before going it alone.

Our father also had a deal in the early seventies with North American.

It seems they got a contract to haul household goods of personnel of a U.S. Naval base that they were closing down in CranstonR.I. to one in Jacksonviile Fla.

I guess North American bit off a little more than they could chew and they needed a lot of help.

Somehow father got hooked up with them to do some of the work.

We used North American's trailers or Transport Pool trailers, they would already be loaded in Cranston, (by the Navy--nice pack jobs!) and had to be taken to Jacksonville.

It was a drop and hook single man operation.

This was when he bought our first 2 maxidyne powered "F" models, they were used and came from Allentown Mack.

These things were something else, never driven anything like them!

Hired a bunch of new drivers too, we were spread a little thin too!

I can think of two drivers, in particular, that had been with us for quite sometime that were doing this.

One guy was named Bill he was never in a real big hurry but was slow and steady, he had a'64 "F" model with END-864V-8 in it and a thirteen speed triplex transmission.

The other guy's name was Jim, he had '68 Brockway with an 8V-71 318 Detroit in it and believe it or not a TO905 fuller, yes that's a five speed overdrive transmission!

These things should have never been built this way but Brockway unfortunately would build it just about anyway you wanted it, at least they did for our father.

My brothers and I, to this day say, the Mack Co. would never have built them.

Anyway once you got these things launched, which wasn't always easy, they would flat out fly.

You know if you have a truck that will run 78-80 miles you can probably find somebody who will run it that fast.

Bill and Jim used to leave Cranston, R.I. together they wouldn't stay together long before Jim would run away from Bill.

Bill usually caught up with him around Dunn, N.C., the only problem was Bill was still heading south and Jim was northbound!

Ron

For somebody that's not that good of a writer,that looked pretty good to me.That story would be good for almost 1 chapter alone.

• Like 1

Ron

The typing is the hard part.. Our ATHS chapter is attempting to make me a writer out of a dumb butt truck driver!!

A lot of it is the same ole BS, you just have to put it in print.

All you need is a computer that will type as you talk to it, then sit back and tell your stories. With the picture to go with the story in your hand it would be easy to tell the story.

Brocky

Brocky

It might have been Union 76 but I think it is Pilot now. Post House sits on the hill on the south side of 30 just east of 70. Can't remember where TA is located.

This is the only pic I could find.

Jim,the Post House was where the Petro is now.......................................Mark

Nice post card!

I would've swore that the 76 was now a Petro but it is in fact a Pilot. Maybe the green Perkins Restaurant sign threw me off. If Post House was on that same property then I haven't been there. I only remember it as a 76. I just found it on Bing maps. It appears to be closed, but I 've definitley eaten there. The Driveway going in is actually a public road-Post House Rd in fact.

The TA is where the 4 lane connector from the toll booths ends at Rt 30. If you take that ramp too fast, you'll drop about 20 feet and land and find yourself in line at the fuel pumps.

Jim