Old Ralph G. Smith Photos

Nice! Anybody make any phone calls?

I called him tonight. Told him I wasn't interested in buying it, but wanted to talk about it. After about 10 minutes he said it was being exported...to Canada. He didn't say exported. He said he bought it about 20 years ago and had to send the Horseshoe back after he got it. I didn't know that they had horseshoes on the H models. He said the Smith's were real nice guys to deal with. I asked him what he was smoking. Ok, I didn't say that. Anyway, he has a bunch of Macks that he would sell, H63, F model, B model. None of them sound great, but maybe something to start with or get parts off of. He is working on a B model for himself. Mike

• Like 2

I called him tonight. Told him I wasn't interested in buying it, but wanted to talk about it. After about 10 minutes he said it was being exported...to Canada. He didn't say exported. He said he bought it about 20 years ago and had to send the Horseshoe back after he got it. I didn't know that they had horseshoes on the H models. He said the Smith's were real nice guys to deal with. I asked him what he was smoking. Ok, I didn't say that. Anyway, he has a bunch of Macks that he would sell, H63, F model, B model. None of them sound great, but maybe something to start with or get parts off of. He is working on a B model for himself. Mike

Mike

We put horseshoes on the H-67's but could never figure out how to put one on an H-61.

We also had a lease operator with an IH Emeryville that was painted our colors and had a horseshoe mounted on it. This was a special horseshoe- it was cut into three

separate pieces ---- a bottom and two sides, the bottom was fixed and the two sides tilted with the cab---only way it would work!!!

Ron

Mike

We put horseshoes on the H-67's but could never figure out how to put one on an H-61.

We also had a lease operator with an IH Emeryville that was painted our colors and had a horseshoe mounted on it. This was a special horseshoe- it was cut into three

separate pieces ---- a bottom and two sides, the bottom was fixed and the two sides tilted with the cab---only way it would work!!!

Ron

I never knew you guys used Owner-Operators,thought they were all company owned trucks/trailers.were those horseshoes made out of aluminum?.....................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark

We had several leased operators through the years.

The guy that had the IH Emeryville started at our place with an IH sightliner then had a G-75 Mack and ended up with the Emeryville.

After that he drove one of our cabover Brockways with a 318 Detroit in it .

The horseshoes were made out of cast aluminum and were made for us by Belgrade Wagon Works in Philadelphia, the people who did most of our paint, body work, and trailer repairs in the sixties.

A few of the horseshoes were broken and had to be repaired over the years but we only ever really lost one!

During the month of August the New York Racing Association (NYRA) shifts all their racing to Saratoga Springs, NY about 30 miles north of Albany.

So during the month of August we used to keep a spare tractor at a garage in Saratoga in case we had a problem.

Well one night I guess someone thought it would make for a really cool souvenir and took it right off the front of #199 it was never found!!

Ron

• Like 1

post-8482-0-18345300-1360942996_thumb.jppost-8482-0-47429600-1360943013_thumb.jppost-8482-0-50883500-1360943029_thumb.jppost-8482-0-17493800-1360943123_thumb.jp

Anybody ever hear of a Brinton Truck?,

Made in Philadelphia

Truck at the bottom Iattachicon.gifRalph G Smith Original Photos046.jpgattachicon.gifRalph G Smith Original Photos045.jpg believe is a Pierce Arrow

Ron

Here our pictures of an original sales brochure for Brinton Trucks

I kinda like the truck they used for the brochure!!!

Ron

• Like 2

Thanks for the pictures and sharing your family's trucking history. The early trucks with the vestibule type body caught my eye. We had a local trucking company that had a Brockway with the same type of body. I always wondered who made the body. I believe this truck was sold to someone in the Boston area.

img0959re.jpg

• Like 1

Boyertown Body Works another great company from Boyertown no longer in existence. I worked for Boyertown Casket Company for over 11 years until they were closed down in 1987.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

• 2 weeks later...

I hear ya,Mike! How lucky Ron was for growing up around them! Gene Olson has a nice H-60 at his place. Real clean and straight,too!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Neat picture Al ! does it say where it was taken?....................................Mark

No it doesn't,Mark.In fact the caption includes these words,"...Sadly,the location has been lost to history." The picture is in the Shell Oil subchapter,showing the different Shell Truck Stops.Its a cool book showing the old "choke & pukes", and the "mom & pop" operations and their transformation to the Super-Stops of today.Bought it used on Amazon for like $11.00! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

No it doesn't,Mark.In fact the caption includes these words,"...Sadly,the location has been lost to history." The picture is in the Shell Oil subchapter,showing the different Shell Truck Stops.Its a cool book showing the old "choke & pukes", and the "mom & pop" operations and their transformation to the Super-Stops of today.Bought it used on Amazon for like $11.00! Al

Answered my next question! LOL!..............................................Mark

• Like 2

Not a Mack,but this Farmall picture was on the wall in Johnnys Diner as long as i can remember,i asked to borrow it so i could make a copy, i just thought it was a really neat picture!..............................Mark

post-5836-0-95637300-1362322845_thumb.jp

• Like 1

David Pearson E-mailed a copy this picture to me in October 2009.

That's where I got the information from, he stated that it was taken somewhere in Ohio in 1955.

Ron

Ah-Ha! Well thanks for sharing it with us,Ron. The book was published in 2011 by Icognografix.Guess that was one tidbit of info they missed.