Old Ralph G. Smith Photos

Nice post card!

I would've swore that the 76 was now a Petro but it is in fact a Pilot. Maybe the green Perkins Restaurant sign threw me off. If Post House was on that same property then I haven't been there. I only remember it as a 76. I just found it on Bing maps. It appears to be closed, but I 've definitley eaten there. The Driveway going in is actually a public road-Post House Rd in fact.

The TA is where the 4 lane connector from the toll booths ends at Rt 30. If you take that ramp too fast, you'll drop about 20 feet and land and find yourself in line at the fuel pumps.

TA - you are talking about Gateway Travel Center. I did not remember it is TA (I am an old fart).

To access the Post House you veer to the left of Post House Road just past Pilot. I believe Post House Road deadends at a farmer's residence.

Hmm, I thought the Post House was still standing. It closed in 2004. Next time I go to Breezywood I will have to take a "detour" and take some pics.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

TA - you are talking about Gateway Travel Center. I did not remember it is TA (I am an old fart).

To access the Post House you veer to the left of Post House Road just past Pilot. I believe Post House Road deadends at a farmer's residence.

Hmm, I thought the Post House was still standing. It closed in 2004. Next time I go to Breezywood I will have to take a "detour" and take some pics.

The Gateway! Thank you, that's what i've been trying to remember for 2 days.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The Gateway! Thank you, that's what i've been trying to remember for 2 days.

Glad I could be of assistance! Wasn't a HoJos originally on that site? I might make a thead about Route 30 (and 22 and 220) trucks and stops. Just wish I had taken pics "back in the day".

Ron - now if you had some pics of your trucks in B'wood or any stops along Route 30.

Ken

Glad I could be of assistance! Wasn't a HoJos originally on that site? I might make a thead about Route 30 (and 22 and 220) trucks and stops. Just wish I had taken pics "back in the day".

Ron - now if you had some pics of your trucks in B'wood or any stops along Route 30.

I had a picture of that place up on the mountain on rt. 30, where the sign said "see seven states". I think I gave them to Big Jim. The place has been torn down now.

Ken

I don't have any, but who knows there might be some floating around somewhere!

Ron

I had a picture of that place up on the mountain on rt. 30, where the sign said "see seven states". I think I gave them to Big Jim. The place has been torn down now.

Are you thinking of the Grand View Ship Hotel on the west side of Schellsburg? If so, it burnt many years ago and yes has since been torn down. I remember visiting there on Sunday's. It was an impressive place (at least for a kid).

Or you thinking of the "trinket" shop on top of the hill overlooking Breezewood? That place and the land was excavated for the PA turnpike tunnel bypass.

Ken

Are you thinking of the Grand View Ship Hotel on the west side of Schellsburg? If so, it burnt many years ago and yes has since been torn down. I remember visiting there on Sunday's. It was an impressive place (at least for a kid).

Or you thinking of the "trinket" shop on top of the hill overlooking Breezewood? That place and the land was excavated for the PA turnpike tunnel bypass.

No, it was west of Breezewood, on the right if going east,in a curve on the mountain. I was thinking Noah's Ark, the ship must be it. Gotta watch the video now.

That's the place. I thought it was 7 states, but it's 3 states and 7 counties. Thanks, that's a great video there- it was later Noah's Ark. I'm watching it now.

Nice post card!

I would've swore that the 76 was now a Petro but it is in fact a Pilot. Maybe the green Perkins Restaurant sign threw me off. If Post House was on that same property then I haven't been there. I only remember it as a 76. I just found it on Bing maps. It appears to be closed, but I 've definitley eaten there. The Driveway going in is actually a public road-Post House Rd in fact.

The TA is where the 4 lane connector from the toll booths ends at Rt 30. If you take that ramp too fast, you'll drop about 20 feet and land and find yourself in line at the fuel pumps.

Yup thats exactly right! Gateway still has some pretty good food,lot of PA Dutch recipes..........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Ken,the local Philly PBS station did a series of videos titled "Things that are'nt there anymore" covering most of PA and South Jersey,that hotel was one of the things included,along with a few places from my area that are long gone.........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.