Old Ralph G. Smith Photos

36 is a beautiful rig!

That was my grandfather's truck it was a BM

Father's truck was #35

Funny story:

Grandfather wanted to buy two more trucks he thought they should both be BM's a little cheaper with a smaller motor.

Father thought they should both be BX's a little more expensive but with a bigger motor.

This was how they compromised-----#35 was a BX and #36 was a BM!

Supposedly #35 was always used to haul War Admiral the horse that lost to Seabiscuit in the great match race.

Ironically the trainer of Seabiscuit was a man by the name Tom Smith which is also the name of one of my brothers.

Ron

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing those,which was the first Mack in the fleet??

Thank's Mike

To be honest with you I don't really know.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anybody around who would.

I think Father said that we used to have some AB's but I can't ever remember seeing pictures of them?

Ron

Excellant post and pictures Ron! i have always been interested in the history of your families company,i really liked the color scheme and paint on the trucks,the red,tan, and white very distinctive and eye-catching! if possible,i would like to see some of the trucks with the "horse shoe" surrounding the grille,i bought an old calendar at a yard sale in Jersey before we moved,had a great picture of an F-model,loading horses,kinda parked on an angle,but have since lost it!....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Thank you! great pictures the F-model in the last row,left side, is very similar to the one i remember,except it was pulling the older style van (like the one behind the Brockway) looks like the same setting/background maybe the calendar pictures were taken at the same place/time? wish i still had it (the calendar) that picture was destined for the wall in my toy room!...................................Mark

Is that a recabbed BM or BX tractor hooked to the milk trailer?Very interesting truck. Would you mind if I posted the Brockway pics on the Brockway site?

That Brockway kinda reminds me of your wrecker.................................Mark

Is that a recabbed BM or BX tractor hooked to the milk trailer?Very interesting truck. Would you mind if I posted the Brockway pics on the Brockway site?

Good eye Mike

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that !

As for posting the Brockways on the Brockway site, let me check with my lawyer first!!!

We talked it over and thought it would be alright to do it just this once!!!

Ron

P.S.

I know I don't have to say this because I think we all have common sense on here but that last part was a joke!

Very nice pictures & story,Ron! Very distinctive colors and the famous "horseshoe" on front! Talked to a former horse carrier here in N. Illinois, and he remembered the "Ralph G. Smith" trucks. Thanks for sharing with us! :clock_logo:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Growing up in the heart of horse country in New Jersey (imagine that) I fondly remember the F-models with the horseshoe grille. It seemed that every horse pullman was a Ralph G. Smith or a Brook Ledge from Oley.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)