Two-Stroke Detroit Diesel Fans Looking For Others...

I have a Hahn fire truck with a 671 and a 5 speed and a Hamerly fire truck with an 8V71 and an allison automatic. I like the sound of the 671 much better and it is much more fun to drive because of the 5 speed.

Mike

Hi,

We're huge Two-Stroke Detroit Diesel fans and looking to see some others that are too. So far, we have a 3-53N, a 4-71N an 8V71N and a 6v92TA. If you have some, we'd love to hear about them! :D

Ben

A two stroke diesel engine? Never heard of such a thing.......

I have a couple; a 6-71, and a 12V-71T getting ready to set into a truck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I just bought a 79 International with a 6-71 and it needs a fuel pump - I am getting ready to find out more than I want to about one of them. Do you know a site where I can get info about them? I hate to spring for a service manual when I am going to just sell the truck.

For some reason, I have bought several trucks with Detroits in them the last few months - is this some sort of habit forming?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think that the only fuel pump on the 71 series is a external mounted transfer pump the rest of the fuel delivery is done with the rack and injectors

I removed the engine cover in the cab and it looks to me like the fuel pump/transfer pump is driven off the back side of the blower? I think it is held on with three bolts - I have checked all the lines from there back, and I am not getting fuel pulled up past the pump. I bought the truck at a auction. The truck ran fine, but developed "shyness" when it came time for it to run across the sale ramp. It would not run and they sold it that way. I hope it is a simple fix. No fuel - no run.

I bought one like this one time and all that was wrong was the emergency shut off was tripped - no such luck with this one.

Any other detroit advice?

I removed the engine cover in the cab and it looks to me like the fuel pump/transfer pump is driven off the back side of the blower? I think it is held on with three bolts - I have checked all the lines from there back, and I am not getting fuel pulled up past the pump. I bought the truck at a auction. The truck ran fine, but developed "shyness" when it came time for it to run across the sale ramp. It would not run and they sold it that way. I hope it is a simple fix. No fuel - no run.

I bought one like this one time and all that was wrong was the emergency shut off was tripped - no such luck with this one.

A slight hole in the fuel suction line from the tank, and clogged fuel filters will stop a Detroit easily. Those pumps do not make much pressure and use a restrictor fitting in the fuel rail, (cast into cylinder head) to keep the unit injectors with a positive fuel pressure so they fill.

The pumps pull right off after removing the three retaining bolts. They are driven by one of the blower shafts by a fork type arrangement are easily to reinstall.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A slight hole in the fuel suction line from the tank, and clogged fuel filters will stop a Detroit easily. Those pumps do not make much pressure and use a restrictor fitting in the fuel rail, (cast into cylinder head) to keep the unit injectors with a positive fuel pressure so they fill.

The pumps pull right off after removing the three retaining bolts. They are driven by one of the blower shafts by a fork type arrangement are easily to reinstall.

Rob

A bad fuel line or clog is the one of the first things I check any more. I learned that the hard way after my tub grinder would not run. It has a six cylinder John Deere and I could not get fuel to feed the thing. We replaced the fuel pump, burned up a starter and battery from too much cranking, and pulled out a lot of hair. Finally, I un hooked the feed line and blew air from a dump truck down it and KABLOOM, the plug shot into the tank and blew the fuel cap off. We primed it, and it took right off. Oh wait - is that one of those dumb shit things you should not admit?

I have some detroit advise,in a pinch,when attached to a chain,they can be used as a means to keep a boat stationary,commonly called an "anchor" i believe............Mark
  • Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

We have had the 6-71,8v-71,8v-92, series 60 Detroits, all have been extremely reliable in fire service application, and like anything else if you take care of it- it will take care of you. My 1982 Hahn has the 8V71 is 30 years old and runs great. I would go with Rob's advice- check the fuel line(s), filter(s) and make sure they are clear and clean, the detroit is not a complex system.

I know I'm gonna take some fire for this (esp. from Mark) I was a big Cummins guy when I was still wet beheind the ears, then in 1971 I went to work for Colonial Sand & Stone out of NYC, from 1962 they started powering there trucks with Detroit's (there is a picture of the corn binder I used to drive,on this site some place) 238's in there mixers 262's in the 15yd mixer trucks and 318's an V12-71 in there tractors and 149's in ther Tug's. I have never in my life seen a motor take what ever you could throw at it an still keep running!! We would drive them trucks in traffic,stop an go stop an go and then pull on a job site an mix your load (engine up against the gov. for about 20 or 30 min.) Not a Cummins no way!! every 2 or 3 years or so the pan came down on those trucks and they did the rods and mains in em and if you didn't you put windows in the side of the block!! In the winter, I don't care how cold it got, those Jimmy's would start with just a shot of starting fluid! From that time on I was sold on Detroit, and even today I power my trucks with them (series 60 an the new DD- 15) I don't know if any of you guys have ever seen one of these: but I drove a Crane Carrier tractor for Colonial that looked like an RS700L Mack!! It had a V8-71 318 with an I-beam frame, all the cross-members were welded in place: CCC called it there Uni-Frame, even the CCC mixer frames were built like that! What A sharp lookin truck it was RTO 9515 an 4.11 rears, not to many guys could keep up with us! say what you want but if you knew how to keep those 318's between 18 an 2,200 an drove em like ya stole em and not like a Cummins or a Cat.... Nobody in your HP class was gonna catch ya!!

Thanks Guys

BULLHUSK

When I went to work for H.H.Moore in 1979 I was hauling chips to Covington from Dillwyn,Va. for Westvaco. There was an older fellow there called "hard rock" and he told me once that they sent some trucks up to Rupert,W.V. one winter to haul off of the Westvaco wood yard there. That's the yard Burns hauls from. He said one night it got so cold that every truck they had up there quit running during the night, even with them idled up, except for one- that was the one truck they had with a 318 Detroit in it, the rest were Cummins.

Hard Rock said they got some fuel conditioner from Burns,he didn't know what it was, "some stuff they had in a barrell" and they didn't have any more trouble. None of Burns' trucks ever quit either and they were making fun of H.H.'s drivers for "bringing those Internationals up there to do a Mack's job".

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Man I hear you Ernie on easy starting things! In years past I've had no less than eight Detroit Diesel powered gensets to maintain. All are very easy starting. It's been a wide variety with all between 2-53 through 16V-92. These without a doubt are the smoothest engines in that application available unless using a turbin. In this application a bearing roll in at 1000 hours is adviseable as they go from sitting weeks at zero speed to either 1200, or 1800 rpm in about three seconds and assuming full facility electical load within 15 seconds maximum! There is no time allowed for prelube or engine cranking to build oil pressure. As soon as the governors acheive engine operating speed, the electical load it thrown upon them. Coolant temperatures are kept at 100 degrees at all times however.

Now most of the gensets have been replaced by Kohler built units using John Deere diesels, and GM gassers in all variants.

Rob

loud, obnoxious, oil-dripping, smoke-blowing, shaking 2-cycle mechanical assholes.

POS overgrown lawn-boys.........

Sounds like an affair of the heart.

Rob

I know I'm gonna take some fire for this (esp. from Mark) I was a big Cummins guy when I was still wet beheind the ears, then in 1971 I went to work for Colonial Sand & Stone out of NYC, from 1962 they started powering there trucks with Detroit's (there is a picture of the corn binder I used to drive,on this site some place) 238's in there mixers 262's in the 15yd mixer trucks and 318's an V12-71 in there tractors and 149's in ther Tug's. I have never in my life seen a motor take what ever you could throw at it an still keep running!! We would drive them trucks in traffic,stop an go stop an go and then pull on a job site an mix your load (engine up against the gov. for about 20 or 30 min.) Not a Cummins no way!! every 2 or 3 years or so the pan came down on those trucks and they did the rods and mains in em and if you didn't you put windows in the side of the block!! In the winter, I don't care how cold it got, those Jimmy's would start with just a shot of starting fluid! From that time on I was sold on Detroit, and even today I power my trucks with them (series 60 an the new DD- 15) I don't know if any of you guys have ever seen one of these: but I drove a Crane Carrier tractor for Colonial that looked like an RS700L Mack!! It had a V8-71 318 with an I-beam frame, all the cross-members were welded in place: CCC called it there Uni-Frame, even the CCC mixer frames were built like that! What A sharp lookin truck it was RTO 9515 an 4.11 rears, not to many guys could keep up with us! say what you want but if you knew how to keep those 318's between 18 an 2,200 an drove em like ya stole em and not like a Cummins or a Cat.... Nobody in your HP class was gonna catch ya!!

Thanks Guys

BULLHUSK

CCC here in Tulsa built a fleet of trucks back in late 60s for a company here using same frame but the Rmodel cab and hood.

glenn akers

I have chopped up a lot of CCC garbage trucks - those things are stout! Big heavy thick frames, with thick wall pipe crossmembers every couple of feet. The wiring harness, cab, and the other proprietary items seem well planned and better laid out for maintenance than some brands.

I have cut up some from the insurance company that had been wrecked or burned while still close to new. They still had the original tires on them and several times the tires are only rated for 50 mph or less. Yeah right - I am sure the driveaway company that delivered them and the fine truck drivers they put on them at the city kept them under that speed.

Thanks Guys

BULLHUSK

Nah! just funnin' Ernie! i have seen those CCC trucks you talked about,there is a small repair shop down the road from me that has an R-model hood sitting on the ground with the CCC emblem on it,don't know where the rest of the truck is,i have never been up close to look around. When i started at Atlas Van Lines years ago,one of the first company trucks i was assigned to was a White Road Commander (Road Commode) it had a 6V-92,10 speed,single axle with a 3:55 rear,it was a pretty good truck,and your right,it was about the ONLY truck we had at the time that would start in the winter! (R-model included) without being plugged in. Cant mistake the sound of a 318 either!..........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Nah! just funnin' Ernie! i have seen those CCC trucks you talked about,there is a small repair shop down the road from me that has an R-model hood sitting on the ground with the CCC emblem on it,don't know where the rest of the truck is,i have never been up close to look around. When i started at Atlas Van Lines years ago,one of the first company trucks i was assigned to was a White Road Commander (Road Commode) it had a 6V-92,10 speed,single axle with a 3:55 rear,it was a pretty good truck,and your right,it was about the ONLY truck we had at the time that would start in the winter! (R-model included) without being plugged in. Cant mistake the sound of a 318 either!..........................Mark

Mark,

Funny thing about a Cummins, my cousin had a International (Donald Duck) that had a V8E-265 Cummins, I think they were pre 903's? well that was another truck that would start up in cold weather!! I sure wish I could find one of those CCC (imitation Macks) they rode and pulled good!! And they were real E/Z to work on! It's all good my friend

Ernie DS AKA BULLHUSK

Thanks for all the replys guys, I'm glad to see we're not the only DD fans on here. You're right about fast starting,I started our 6V92TA when it was 35 degrees outside with no starting fluid at all, and it fired right up.

Keep 'Em Screamin',

Ben

Edited by JumperAndSon
post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j