Baltimore Bridge accident

Freightrain

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

Someone posted a live video shot of traffic on the bridge as it got hit.  Likely from a traffic camera.  It was on FB and I can't find a link now.

I saw that too, don't remember who posted it. Sparks everywhere.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

My new to me job is at 2 small waste water treatment plants..  I am in maintenance.  These plants are ' open air'. 

Kscarbel,,  yep.... Airplanes are next..  the death toll is to much for me to handle.. 

this ship should have just brushed the pilon, not hit it head on..  

Biden will surely use this to raise prices on goods and say it will take many years to recover..    

• Like 1

on another website i visit, one of the lunitics has already posted this was a direct attack sanctioned by Trump. 

the guy is a total nut case and blames EVERYTHING on Trump. 

he claims to have proof on the sanctioning by Trump, but like all his other claims never shows anything and is always proved wrong. then than pouts and complains to site administrators that people are picking on him.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

And is it true that JB has already said the the Gov... (Us) will pay for the whole reconstruction?  Really..? Shouldn't Singapore and the shipping company be on the hook?  Too much too fast here..  it is starting to have a bad smell...  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

And is it true that JB has already said the the Gov... (Us) will pay for the whole reconstruction?  Really..? Shouldn't Singapore and the shipping company be on the hook?  Too much too fast here..  it is starting to have a bad smell...  

Well exactly, that is why shipping companies purchase insurance from Lloyd's of London.

JB saying the US taxpayer will pay for reconstruction is silly.

• Like 1

IDK, The video that other dog posted is a year and half old that happened in Russia. { In fact, Snopes was able to determine that the footage used in the posts actually showed an explosion damaging the Kerch Bridge, which links Russia and Crimea, on Oct. 8, 2022. }   There are two bridges there and the next day they had pictures of the damage from the explosion taken from the other bridge. There was no explosion on the Key bridge it just collapsed.

The video l posted here before that Red Horse suggested. He explains what happens to the control of a ship with rudder and thrust. A site l watch often is "TimBatSea" who is a tug captain. He always explains what he is about to try and do with the barge. And he will tell you which way the rudder is and why. Which prop/engine is turning in what direction and how fast and what the effect it will make on the barrage. He makes it look too easy as if he was backing out of a parking spot with his car.  My two cents, carry on.    .....Hippy     

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Kscarbel,,  yep.... Airplanes are next..  the death toll is to much for me to handle.. 

this ship should have just brushed the pilon, not hit it head on..  

Biden will surely use this to raise prices on goods and say it will take many years to recover..    

long term disruption of economics  due to the "accident" will be felt for a long time.  airplane accidents don't take out enough lives for the idiots behind these events. with election on the horizon , I'd expect a few more disruptions will take place.  according to news  ;;investigators didn't board ship for over 24 hrs. number one red flag!! 

12 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Well exactly, that is why shipping companies purchase insurance from Lloyd's of London.

JB saying the US taxpayer will pay for reconstruction is silly.

My guess is the US taxpayer will foot the bill and then the US government will try to get reimbursed from insurance / bonding companies. Again guessing here...the demo and reconstruction will start almost immediately like when the interstate bridge collapsed in Philly from that tanker fire and they rebuilt it in like 2 weeks or something. The insurance company will want to drag its feet and investigate and litigate and procrastinate to try and pass blame or hold some other entity responsible. Leaders here will find that unacceptable and at least get started with our own money. 

14 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

And the mainstream media hasn't seen the need to mention America's drinking water is under threat?

As far as I'm concerned the public water supply anywhere is always under threat. I can't believe it has never really happened (that I know of), or happen frequently enough to hear about, but poisoning a public water supply is incredibly easy if you possess a 6th grade knowledge of plumbing. Any home connected could be made into a contamination point. Shut off service valve where water service line enters home. Remove backflow preventer if one exists. Install a hose bib. Connect a chemical feed pump with enough head pressure to overcome the static pressure at the street. Start pumping some toxic chemical into the system. Once the chemical gets into the main lines it would be game over. Depending on the system particulars and time of day an attacker could probably pump 1000s of gallons of toxin into the system before anyone realized there was a problem. Depending on the system It would be incredibly hard to if not impossible to determine the location where the contaminants were introduced. If it happened on a large enough scale in enough locations society would instantly turn on public water supply. It would be mass chaos. I worked in the industry for many years and can't believe how fundamentally easy it is to poison public water and also how cavalier system operators are about how easy the systems are to breech.

19 hours ago, Red Horse said:

What I don't understand is, they managed to shut bridge down before impact but did not notify the crew that was on bridge patching potholes??  You can see their flashing yellow hazard lights as drifting ship was approaching.  3:55 just now Maryland gov is praising effort to shut down bridge access before impact.  Confirms what I'm saying .... what about repair crew????

Here is a link to the MDT Police Radio traffic, it's about 2 minutes long. You can clearly hear one officer has traffic stopped, and says "When someone relieves me. I will drive up and get the road crew off." But then it happened. Can you imagine how that officer feels now? 

• Thanks 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Here is a link to the radio traffic of the Baltimore City Fire Dept- they were initially dispatched for a "car in the water." This is 90 minutes of radio traffic that has been compressed to about 40 minutes.  From a Fire Service Standpoint- these guys all remained calm, cool and collect in the face of probably the biggest incident any of them will ever face in their careers. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

2 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

IDK, The video that other dog posted is a year and half old that happened in Russia. { In fact, Snopes was able to determine that the footage used in the posts actually showed an explosion damaging the Kerch Bridge, which links Russia and Crimea, on Oct. 8, 2022. }   There are two bridges there and the next day they had pictures of the damage from the explosion taken from the other bridge. There was no explosion on the Key bridge it just collapsed.

The video l posted here before that Red Horse suggested. He explains what happens to the control of a ship with rudder and thrust. A site l watch often is "TimBatSea" who is a tug captain. He always explains what he is about to try and do with the barge. And he will tell you which way the rudder is and why. Which prop/engine is turning in what direction and how fast and what the effect it will make on the barrage. He makes it look too easy as if he was backing out of a parking spot with his car.  My two cents, carry on.    .....Hippy     

I see now, I don't know why I didn't catch that, it clearly shows two bridges and the Key Bridge was a single bridge. It was labeled on Facebook as the Key Bridge collapse. I'm going to delete that post if I can.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

2 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

A site l watch often is "TimBatSea" who is a tug captain. He always explains what he is about to try and do with the barge. And he will tell you which way the rudder is and why. Which prop/engine is turning in what direction and how fast and what the effect it will make on the barrage. He makes it look too easy as if he was backing out of a parking spot with his car.  My two cents, carry on.    .....Hippy     

Just saw a video he just posted four hrs ago. He was headed for Baltimore before the bridge fell. Now they are at anchor waiting ten miles away from the bridge.    .....Hippy

• Like 1

Can a ships controls especially steering be controlled remotely? Why would they program something like that in? Unless it was a case like mutiny on board the ship I don't see how it could be a terror attack.

Interestingly this isn't the first time this ship has struck something, unless that's more common for ships than I realized: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Dali  

Joey, does that mean you’re ready for the short bus it’s a horrible mess but every news clip I see they do not bring up that construction crew at all. I don’t know what’s up with that. Maybe you fellas heard something about them. I’m sure they’re all gone drowned That just sucks big balls to get it while you’re working… bob

FWD

Thx for the radio info.  Explains it all.  I saw another clip that said they declared a Mayday with just 90 seconds before impact so quick action on PD in stopping traffic when they did was huge-no cars went in water just the poor souls working. Had this been a DOT crew they probably would have had radio contact but contractor crew-doubtful.

This terrible news for all, I don't know anything about ships, boats, tug boats floating in a inner tube etc

I do imagine that once you loose power the current takes control and pushes you about however mother nature wishes the current to flow

Easter is going to be very different and a sad occasion for a lot of families now

The whole situation is terrible 

Paul