One armed bandit for a while

Licensed to kill

Had a cutting disk explode yesterday and I got an owie on my left forearm. Cut the tendons, nerves and artery so I have no movement or feeling in my outer hand and outer two fingers. Got repaired last night and just waiting for the wife to pick me up from the hospital. Doc says o have to wear a splint of 6 weeks but it will take 1-2 years to get feeling back if ever. Bummer but good thing I am right handed. Could have been MUCH worse. F1AB1704-778C-4589-AD2A-7A431C6843A6.thumb.jpeg.e3374d2e9b9ce111a00cc7cb8f304d16.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

been there done that; not to that extent. have a 2 1/2 in scar on right leg from cut off wheel that ripped through HD coveralls  and pants. so many time the disc shield is in the way and I/we take it off. i use the super thin cut off wheels  many times ;;not good. seeing all these unfortunate injuries I don't think I want to be a mechanic when I grow up.  too late now ;but in the dangerous project with cut off wheels I wear a pair of welding gloves. hopes your recovery in speedy.

• Like 1

Yeah, I had one of those thin cut off wheels split on me too..  It went between my left fingers and chopped my thumb open, cut 2 other fingers, ricochet off the floor and stab me in the back of my thigh...  my hand was pouring blood and leg had blood running down to the floor.  It was a mess,  But NO WHERE near as bad as LTK's.. Thanks for the cool pic. OD...  jojo

You should be good to go in a few years. Probably just suck when it gets cold out. Those things have always been a fear of mine. Now seeing a picture of what it can do really adds to it. Good luck to you, atleast it wasn’t your face…..

LTK,,,   I was just thinking about you...   How are you doing?  Did your doctor prescribe some Canadian Mist?  That picture is hard to look at, when I try to put myself in your shoes, during that 1 second when ....   Best of luck to you....  jojo

5 hours ago, Mark T said:

Yikes.  I don't know which picture was worse. That one or Joey's burn.   Hope you recover as fast and best as possible .  

I feel bad for both '''BUT people this is NOT a competition we want to encourage .  if a new topic is started  let it be of unfortunate accidents of the PAST . not hey i can beat that . just sayin. I know I can contribute to this topic after 50 plus yrs ( we won't go there though)> grandson won't wear gloves today using a cut off wheel. " what does an old man know " 

i never saw one do that much damage. 

but i have seen close calls. that is why i never use "death wheels" 

cutting torch, or plasma cutter the past 17 years since i ran out of oxygen and never refilled the bottle. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I've had those discs fly apart on me when the pieces start bouncing of things around me it gives you quite the scare. I am really sorry that you got hit that hard with the disc parts, I hope it heals up and the dr. is wrong, and you get all your recovery much quicker. Somedays it doesn't pay to get out of bed.

• Like 2

My main motivation for sharing this experience was as a reminder to all of the dangers of power tools in general and cutting discs in particular ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE BEING USED INCORRECTLY. we rarely learn from our successes. learning comes from failure unfortunately. The example I always use is gassing up a car while smoking a cigarette. just because someone has done it several times does not mean that it is safe. Its that one time that the fumes ignite that they learn that it is not. In regards to this vs Joeys burn, IMO, the pain that Joey experienced would have been worse than this 10 fold. BURNS ARE PAINFULL. I have yet to need to take a pain killer. OTOH, the burn was likely in no way life threatening whereas, if I was alone, being 30 minutes from the nearest hospital and no way to drive and stanch the bleeding (severed artery) I would have surely bled out. I am home now in a splint feeling useless but can still do some stuff but will need help. I had a long list of things to do this winter, not the least of which was trying finish up my B61 but..........I guess we will see. Splint is supposed to be off in 6 weeks and there is still 3-4 months of winter after that. won't have time to do all I wanted so have a few weeks to prioritize. how my hand feels after the split comes off may be a factor in what still gets done and what will have to wait. Thanks for all the well wishes, I'm sure all will be fine in the end, just a "bump in the road".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Omg....Wow!  Glad you pulled through that.

Any time I install a death wheel I ALWAYS point it away from anything and hit the power.  Give it the chance to explode in a known safe direction.  Even after I use one i still try to play it safe when hitting the power.

Everyone always removes the guard....well because it's always in the way.  I have seen blades go into legs, but this is a first for an arm(this bad).

Buddy nipped his thumb joint with a grinder wheel.  Didn't think much about it.  A day later it was still hurting.  Few days later it was still bad.  Here it got infected.  Ended up in the hospital for 3 days and had surgery to clean it out.  Took months to heal and had to get shots to keep it healthy.  Darn near lost it.  You never know.

I put my left thumb joint into a bandsaw blade many years ago.  Some masking tape and I was good to go.  Lol.  Took years for me to be able to bend it.  Joint looks bad now compared to right hand.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

LTK...   I read your post..   You make good points about tool usage..  I know you will follow Doc's instructions, and get fixed up...  Yes my burns were very painful and took 2 weeks to be able to walk with out crutches,,   What I re-learned is,,,,,   Dont take your body parts for 'granted'..  You are obviuosly a tough ASS Canadian..  God Bless You ! ...  jojo