One armed bandit for a while

Licensed to kill

4 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Dunno about seeing more when removing guards or guards getting in the way

Very occasionally,  maybe one or two percent of the jobs I do I remove the guard but it always goes straight back on

I'm with you, Paul..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

22 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

at 71 , first thing I do before any project is question myself== now how is this going to hurt me?? the body (mine anyhow) gets to the point it just can't take any more. that's not counting the grownin old crap''knees ,hips, back and what ever else still has a little feelings left.  grinder guard always came off more for a clearance issue. many of us see the ole timers spending their time  in the parks feeding the ducks; I spend my time looking at all /most of the 50 plus yrs of "battle scars" of equipment maintenance. I wear ear cover even when cutting the grass now; don't know why only one works 

👏🏻

As I get older I notice I bleed easier, longer, and cuts take alot longer to heal. I’m 34 so not quite to your level yet….

Edited by Onyx610
Spellz

Screw the 'level'...    You were thrown to the wolves' 7 years ago...   seem's to me, you have a very smart brain...  I guess, like a 'Sponge'...   we talked, I know...    jojo😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2022 at 10:15 AM, Joey Mack said:

LTK..... How are you doing today?  How many stitches did it take to close the hole?  

I’m fine thanks. More of a nuisance than anything. I do not know how many stitches, it is in a splint all wrapped up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the surgeon yesterday. Everything is coming along well. Two more weeks in the splint then 6 weeks of rehab to regain strength. Told him I plan to be snowmobiling by mid Jan and he said that should be doable. He is confident that I will get the feeling back in my finger in about year and a half. Since I am on the injured list and can' t do much, I decided now would be a good time get my eyes fixed (fix everything while I am in the shop for repairs anyways) so while in the city to see the surgeon, I had refractive lense replacement surgery done so I can ditch those annoying bi-focals. No more glasses for this cowboy. My post op testing (done the day after the surgery) showed 20/20 vision close up and intermediate and better than 20/20 for distance. Truly amazing. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

A beautiful young nurse that works naked would ensure that one never misses an appointment. 

Yes but it doesn't help the high blood pressure reading at all! A mini skirt (yes a few years ago) and a Med card exam don't go well together. Till the doctor figured out what was going on. LOL!    .....Hippy

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

refractive lense

never heard of such things, as long as they work I guess and sounds like they do 

Paul

It actually cataract surgery. They remove the natural lense and replace it with an artificial one. I do not have cataracts but wanted to see clearly without glasses. Not only can I see but now, I never WILL get cataracts. 1000 years from now, if someone digs me up the will find a skeleton with two plastic discs in the eye sockets. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

A beautiful young nurse that works naked would ensure that one never misses an appointment. 

Gotta be careful with that. Sometimes , from what I understand that can lead to swollen glands and loss of rational thought.

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2022 at 12:32 PM, Freightrain said:

Omg....Wow!  Glad you pulled through that.

Any time I install a death wheel I ALWAYS point it away from anything and hit the power.  Give it the chance to explode in a known safe direction.  Even after I use one i still try to play it safe when hitting the power.

Everyone always removes the guard....well because it's always in the way.  I have seen blades go into legs, but this is a first for an arm(this bad).

Buddy nipped his thumb joint with a grinder wheel.  Didn't think much about it.  A day later it was still hurting.  Few days later it was still bad.  Here it got infected.  Ended up in the hospital for 3 days and had surgery to clean it out.  Took months to heal and had to get shots to keep it healthy.  Darn near lost it.  You never know.

I put my left thumb joint into a bandsaw blade many years ago.  Some masking tape and I was good to go.  Lol.  Took years for me to be able to bend it.  Joint looks bad now compared to right hand.

I can't help but remember this one whenever I hear about a bandsaw incident.  Sorry, no pictures.  Well, maybe NOT that sorry.

Anyway, we had an operator running an automated vertical bandsaw, slotting tapered mounting bushings.  These bushings sat on a locating fixture, and the operator presses the Cycle Start button.  The saw table would rapid advance to the point where the OD of the bushing would almost touch the saw blade.  Then, it would feed slowly through the wall of the bushing.  The saw would then rapid across the bore of the bushing, and approach the other side.  This wall would then be cut partially through.  The table would then retract and the operator could swap out the part for a new one.  Repeat ad nauseum.

On one cycle, as the blade emerged from the first wall, he stuck his finger in the bore of the bushing and tried to remove it...before it was finished.  With the finger securely in the hole in the bushing, the saw rapid advanced to the other side.  The blade split his index finger from the tip to the first joint.  We called the ambulance.  They came and got him.  It was several days before he came back.

Once back, our safety committee asked him to explain exactly what happened, so they could try to improve the situation.  He did a fantastic job of explaining exactly what he did, even pointing out what he did wrong.

Problem is, when he demonstrated what he did wrong, he took it a little too far.  Using the index finger on the OTHER hand...yep, you guessed it...he actually DID IT AGAIN!  We called the ambulance...again.  When he returned this time, we kept him far away from things that cut.  To this day, that guy has 2 perfectly matched, longitudinally-split forefingers.  I'm sure the joints are not perfect either.

LTK, glad you are on the way back.  And kudos for having the guts to tell what really happened.  Best of luck in the recovery.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."