One armed bandit for a while

Licensed to kill

I'm guilty Paul,,   I remove the guards,  because they are in the way of getting the job done..  Yes they MAY stop the exploded disc,  but??  Yep... I/We... take 'em off...  :) 

• Like 2

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to sound as if comparing which was worse ( they're both serious injuries )  Most of us on here have had some injury but those two were pretty bad. Thing with all of them is when it does happen, it's seconds.  Everyone thinks when seeing pictures like those..... then a few weeks later we become complacent and back to old bad habits.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Licensed to kill said:

I have a brand new Milwaukie grinder that I bought just a couple days before this happened, still in the box. When I put the box in the shop I was thinking about how the first thing was to take the guard off like I always do and, to be honest, probably still will. They just get in the way. HOWEVER, the reason this was as bad as it is is that I was using an 8" disc on a 5" grinder AND (and this is the most important part) I was using a cutoff disk to grind. HUGE NO NO as they are not designed for any side forces (and they suck as a grinding disk anyways as they have little abrasive on the side surfaces). 

Those guards do just get in the way. I feel like if something is gonna happen those won’t have much affect. However I could be wrong too. It’s just a risk I’m willing to take I guess. I should really practice wearing gloves and safety glasses more often. It’s always “ahh this will only take a sec” well it takes less than a sec for what happened to you to happen….Pry happened so quick you didn’t even feel it until you looked down….We tend to get lazy with safety and using the right tool for the job. Like you were…grinding with a cut off disc. I’ve done it too, once it again it was “I only have a little more to do.” Then stuff like that happens to us and now the job got that much longer, expensive, or almost cost you your life….

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 2

By the way I’ve known a guy to sever all his ligaments in his fingers when he decided to stab a fillet knife into a cutting board and ran his hand down the whole length of the blade when the hand slipped off the handle. He made a full recovery. Also a guy that rolled his side by side and severed most of his arm. He pry got majority if not all strength and motion back. So you should be good! The human body is amazing at healing!

Edited by Onyx610

We all do stupid shit and we will continue to, it’s life. You just have to make sure you learn from the first time, and if you don’t…. well then there’s a place for you haha…. You just had the balls to post your mess up and it’s appreciated!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

its 39 seconds but the last 15 is when it happened..  let me know if it works

AF1QipOGPO5jEttzV1C9PX-WOTZ2ZRkEbib2KehVjBq_.url 224 B · 1 download

I will have to look up on the computer tomorrow. Doesn’t seem to like it on the I phone. 

• Haha 1

Dunno about seeing more when removing guards or guards getting in the way

Very occasionally,  maybe one or two percent of the jobs I do I remove the guard but it always goes straight back on

Check out my youtube channel if you dont believe me, lots and lots of unexciting grinding going on amd all with the guards on

Anyway, am wishing you a speedy recovery 

Paul 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

LTK..... How are you doing today?  How many stitches did it take to close the hole?  

I'm fine thanks. More of a nuisance than anything. Do not know how many stitches, it is in a splint and wrapped in a tensor bandage.  

• Like 1
  • Like 1