Does a "Classic" or "Antique" truck need to be inspected in CT?

I am trying to get a 25 year old Kenworth single axle truck registered with a "Classic" license plate in CT. The last time I did this (with my 1964 Mack B61SX dump truck) I didn't have to first get the truck inspected, now the young man behind the DMV counter is saying if the GVWR of the truck is over 26,000lbs, I have to have it inspected first before they will issue the Classic/Antique plates.

Is he just blowing smoke like many tellers do at the DMV, or is this now a thing?

The state DOT has already granted me an exception to register the truck as a non-commercial vehicle without DOT numbers and I have insurance ready to go.

I agree with james j nieween. Let us know how things turn out . I just got a notice from the Ohio Dept.of public safety Bureau of Motor Vehicles that I need a U.S. Passport, or a Passport card, or a Certified Birth Certificate to renew my CDL .

That is the norm for the "Real ID" being pushed right now. All new driver's licenses are having to meet that requirement I understand.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That is the norm for the "Real ID" being pushed right now. All new driver's licenses are having to meet that requirement I understand.

The real id requirement goes into affect sometime in October of this year. In California you can still get a standard DL but would have to use a passport to travel by airplane if you don’t get the real id

Just now, Quickfarms said:

The real id requirement goes into affect sometime in October of this year. In California you can still get a standard DL but would have to use a passport to travel by airplane if you don’t get the real id

yes, that is the same here but for a CDL, (new, or renewal) you have to get the "Real ID" I'm told just last week at the IL secretary of state's office, (DMV most other places).

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2 hours ago, eddeere said:

I agree with james j nieween. Let us know how things turn out . I just got a notice from the Ohio Dept.of public safety Bureau of Motor Vehicles that I need a U.S. Passport, or a Passport card, or a Certified Birth Certificate to renew my CDL .

They also will not let you in federal buildings without the what AR calls the "enhanced" dl. It's bs for sure.

You shouldn't need the inspection. Just a vin verification. Have all your paperwork squared away and proof of ownership/insurance and registration application. I just coached someone having issues at the Danbury branch basically saying the same thing. I had them go to the Norwalk branch and they walked out with classic plates without issue. There's lots of misinformation out there within DMV. The vehicle will be used for personal non-commercial purposes, classic plates are appropriate.

The one change in CT I need to add to the above info I stated is that you need a DOT # exemption letter filled out for the application. Attached is a letter directly from CT DMV with the requirements of the letter that must be Notarized. Other than that, all remains the same as it has been for the last several years. I am amazed at the lack of knowledge that exists behind the counter at DMV offices and the variety of answers you can get from branch to branch. You can search through Title 14 of the Connecticut General Statutes to arm yourself in preparation to going there. 

VALS327, I would agree with you on that and the vehicle, mechanically, should be able to pass that. But, it is an added expense for most people at the hobby level to get one done.

Hopefully, this will help those of us who live and register in Connecticut.

IMG_0964.JPG

Edited by mattb73lt

On 3/13/2020 at 8:56 AM, eddeere said:

I had to have a birth certificate this winter to renew my cdl. Told the gal at the dmv requiring my certificate at this point is a joke. She looked puzzled and I asked her why I needed it since I have had to and continue to pass tsa background checks for my hazmat and fbi background check for my carry permit. Seems like a waste of time to me. If the fbi and tsa can’t find anything on me it’s doubtful the traveling drivers license examiner would be able to spot a fake birth certificate. One thing the government knows how to do is waste time and money. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

This isn't helping you in Connecticut but thought I might interject. In Pennsylvania there is no inspection for vehicles registered as an antique. Classic vehicles still require an annual inspection.  

One thing of note in PA. Don't get caught by the pigs (a cop) hauling anything with a vehicle registered as an antique. This past fall heard about a homeowner who had an dump truck registered as an antique that got nailed for hauling his yard waste to a dump by (LEO) Barney Fife who was bucking for sergeant.

Mack 11E.jpg

5 hours ago, tenfive0 said:

This isn't helping you in Connecticut but thought I might interject. In Pennsylvania there is no inspection for vehicles registered as an antique. Classic vehicles still require an annual inspection.  

One thing of note in PA. Don't get caught by the pigs (a cop) hauling anything with a vehicle registered as an antique. This past fall heard about a homeowner who had an dump truck registered as an antique that got nailed for hauling his yard waste to a dump by (LEO) Barney Fife who was bucking for sergeant.

well I have Haggerty for my insurance on an antique truck and they forbid me from hauling and I am very shocked at how little an antique plate costs  in Illinois  so I'm guessing they prohibit hauling with it also

5 hours ago, Prowrench said:

well I have Haggerty for my insurance on an antique truck and they forbid me from hauling and I am very shocked at how little an antique plate costs  in Illinois  so I'm guessing they prohibit hauling with it also

That is accurate on both accounts. I had Haggerty years ago and they do not allow any hauling. At that time you had to cover a trailer separately to pull with them. Gulfway allows the pulling of a trailer, but offer no cargo insurance so you can't really haul anything with the insured and it be covered. The "cargo" whether owned or not, required a separate policy.

I keep one truck on my shop policy in force at all times as it's just a phone call to my insurance broker to swap trucks to the one I'm going to operate. Never have had a problem with this over the years but I'm never operating more than one at a time and not for hire. He's independent and we survey carriers every couple of years and I really don't know whom the current provider is.

13 hours ago, tenfive0 said:

If he displayed the same attitude, no wonder he got popped. If you're driving a rolling cobbed up POS that wouldn't pass a dumpster,  you're just asking to get stopped, ticketed and towed.

3 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

posIf he displayed the same attitude, no wonder he got popped. If you're driving a rolling cobbed up POS that wouldn't pass a dumpster,  you're just asking to get stopped, ticketed and towed.

Displayed what attitude?

I didn't mean a rolling codded up POS dumpy looking truck. I mean a nice 1969 Chevy C-30 Truck with a tilt dump body. The guy was using the truck to haul yard refuge. 

Mack 11E.jpg

17 hours ago, tenfive0 said:

31 minutes ago, tenfive0 said:

Displayed what attitude?

I didn't mean a rolling codded up POS dumpy looking truck. I mean a nice 1969 Chevy C-30 Truck with a tilt dump body. The guy was using the truck to haul yard refuge. 

Maybe by calling law officers pigs for starters. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

Why in the world would you ever describe a law enforcement officer in a derogatory way on a public forum.  The vast majority of officers conduct themselves with grace and discretion.   Some follow the letter of the law and enforce it as such.  After all it is the law.  Very few operate under the "I am a cop do as I say because I say so" point of view.  Unfortunately it is our pansy ass society that doesn't like to follow the law and they lean on the equally pansy ass media to make the loyal, brave and selfless officers that protect, us out to be... as you called them... well, we know what you called them.

Shame on you. 

Edited by General Ike
  • Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

I'm a law-abiding society page reporter for a local newspaper in transition from a male to female.

Why in the world would you ever describe anyone in a derogatory way on a public forum? My self righteous, loyal, brave and selfless hero..

Mack 11E.jpg

1 hour ago, tenfive0 said:

I'm a law-abiding society page reporter for a local newspaper in transition from a male to female.

Why in the world would you ever describe anyone in a derogatory way on a public forum?

What is your deal? Since this corona virus stuff started you’ve been making lots of odd and rude posts on different threads. That bored that you feel the need to troll BMT? Find something productive to do. More than happy to hear someone else’s view on things but not when they go straight to name calling and flaming. 

I was told by a law officer according to the law it is lawful in pa. to haul your own personal property on an antique plated truck non commercial. In other words if i want to haul a load of dirt to my house it is legal just don't try to get paid for it. And if you show your truck you must not collect money's for showing said truck. As told to me by a police captain i can haul my hay bales home for my goats legally.