Does a "Classic" or "Antique" truck need to be inspected in CT?

17 hours ago, Rob said:

That is accurate on both accounts. I had Haggerty years ago and they do not allow any hauling. At that time you had to cover a trailer separately to pull with them. Gulfway allows the pulling of a trailer, but offer no cargo insurance so you can't really haul anything with the insured and it be covered. The "cargo" whether owned or not, required a separate policy.

I keep one truck on my shop policy in force at all times as it's just a phone call to my insurance broker to swap trucks to the one I'm going to operate. Never have had a problem with this over the years but I'm never operating more than one at a time and not for hire. He's independent and we survey carriers every couple of years and I really don't know whom the current provider is.

I think some of the insurance company rules have to do with state laws also. Getting info from a clerk at the state level is unreliable unless it is an official document. When I had operating authorities I had on 2 occasions been ticketed by cops that had bad info I won in court but had the expense and hassle of having to go to court. when you beat them in court because they are wrong you don't get recompense and the cop doesn't even get corrected.

When I went to get my first old truck antique plated back in 98, I asked my insurance man about it. He actually did the looking into the matter of what I could, and could not do with the registration. Most of the Illinois SOS offices had no clue so he worked with Springfield to find answers. Once that became clear I was able to get the SOS's office to process the title work for the other trucks easily. I keep eight trucks licensed citing they are so inexpensive to keep that way.

I've had my A-40 with dirt spilling over three sides being so full and the local cops wave at me as I go by. However, they all know me and I'm not doing anything for hire.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:16 PM, davehummell said:

I was told by a law officer according to the law it is lawful in pa. to haul your own personal property on an antique plated truck non commercial. In other words if i want to haul a load of dirt to my house it is legal just don't try to get paid for it. And if you show your truck you must not collect money's for showing said truck. As told to me by a police captain i can haul my hay bales home for my goats legally. 

The following is copied from a local PA Notary Website.

Antique and Classic Pennsylvania Registration Restrictions:

Both types of registration are for occasional driving. The vehicle is not meant to be used every day but there is no mileage requirement. The vehicles cannot be used for work. This means that if you have Classic or Antique plate on your pickup truck, no running to Home Depot for a load of 2x4's. If a police officer sees this, he can pull you over and take the plate.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:10 PM, HeavyGunner said:

What is your deal? Since this corona virus stuff started you’ve been making lots of odd and rude posts on different threads. That bored that you feel the need to troll BMT? Find something productive to do. More than happy to hear someone else’s view on things but not when they go straight to name calling and flaming. 

What's my DEAL? Well let me tell you (This is still America isn't IT?) since you asked. No, wait a minute, think. Perhaps, I better keep my views to myself the internet POLICE are watching! I might be displaying ODD symptoms of the Wuhan Flu and my productivity could be questioned. My social credit card could be cancelled. I could wind up exiled to a forced labor internet internment camp. So keep quiet big brother is watching.

Mack 11E.jpg

There’s no internet police. Go reread your posts. Your panicking and lashing out which helps no one. Have some concerns on things going on in the world?  Bring them up in a logical, reasonable way and no one will have a problem with it. Take a deep breath, don’t panic. We all are going to have to ride this out together whether we get along or not and I prefer getting along and helping one another. Good luck. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Here in California I have found the officers do not know every law word for word.

I have found this on both the business and personal level.

I also had an issue with the California dmv posting a copy of the vehicle code on there website in which they added titles to the sections that were not in the code as adopted by the legislature. Now the dmv website is linked to the code as adopted.

My solution is to copy the pertinent sections into a word document and carry multiple copies with my paperwork. I have found that when the officers are presented with the facts in a respectful manner they actually are ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quickfarms said:

Here in California I have found the officers do not know every law word for word.

I have found this on both the business and personal level.

I also had an issue with the California dmv posting a copy of the vehicle code on there website in which they added titles to the sections that were not in the code as adopted by the legislature. Now the dmv website is linked to the code as adopted.

My solution is to copy the pertinent sections into a word document and carry multiple copies with my paperwork. I have found that when the officers are presented with the facts in a respectful manner they actually are ok.

That is the point I'm trying to make. No one can know everything. There are good and bad people. Good and bad Doctors. Good and bad cops. Some of them you'll meet will have good and bad days. Some people you'll meet are just pricks out to bust your balls every chance they get.

Laws are different from state to state. When I bought my truck it was registered as an antique. When I transferred the title I registered it with a regular tag. To much left to interpretation or perhaps a gray area if you get pulled over. I chose to take away any risk for trouble for myself because I don't want to give anyone cause to hassle me even when you try to reason with them. You can tell some people a lot and other people not much if they have an attitude and think they know it all. Respect goes both ways.    

Mack 11E.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 3/16/2020 at 6:49 PM, mattb73lt said:

The one change in CT I need to add to the above info I stated is that you need a DOT # exemption letter filled out for the application. Attached is a letter directly from CT DMV with the requirements of the letter that must be Notarized. Other than that, all remains the same as it has been for the last several years. I am amazed at the lack of knowledge that exists behind the counter at DMV offices and the variety of answers you can get from branch to branch. You can search through Title 14 of the Connecticut General Statutes to arm yourself in preparation to going there. 

VALS327, I would agree with you on that and the vehicle, mechanically, should be able to pass that. But, it is an added expense for most people at the hobby level to get one done.

Hopefully, this will help those of us who live and register in Connecticut.

IMG_0964.JPG

Hi I live in CT and trying to get around needing a CDL to haul antique tractors. If I register a semi as a classic or antique can I put a trailer on it to haul the machine non commercially

4 hours ago, ACrawler said:

Hi I live in CT and trying to get around needing a CDL to haul antique tractors. If I register a semi as a classic or antique can I put a trailer on it to haul the machine non commercially

You shouldn’t need a CDL in CT, if it’s registered as a Classic Vehicle registration. Regarding the  hauling of a trailer, that will mostly be up to your insurance carrier. Most people I know in the hobby seem to use Hagerty. That’s what I have, with no issues hauling my other cars on my flatbed. When I went with them, I fully explained my purposes and how I use my vehicles.

CTDMV is a very loosely run agency. Every time I register something there’s some issue. The B73 I just registered took two visits, even though I had all the proper paperwork the first visit. Even though I had a CT Bill of Sale, I was told I needed a signed affidavit from the person I bought it from. Well that person is long deceased, so that wasn’t happening. On my second visit the counter person brings out a set of Apportioned plates and starts asking me questions about gross weight. I specifically asked for Classic Vehicle plates. Then she says, “ You can’t carry anything on your flatbed deck with Classic plates”. At this point I told her to get her supervisor. She shows up and I ask her what is the regulation reference that prohibits me from hauling my own stuff??? They couldn’t answer that and I know of none that exists.

There was no questions about a DOT number exemption requirement.

Honestly, I have no idea how they do business or what the real requirements are, because they don’t know themselves.

It depends on what day and who you get as to what’s needed. Sad to have to say that, but it is the truth.

I would get your insurance and registration filled out as accurately as you can and move forward. It may take several visits and phone calls to accomplish, but that’s what it may take. The lack of knowledge and standardization in CT is astonishing.

• Sad 1

Ohio DMV is actually a private run business that just does the work for the state.  They have no real legal authority,  they just interpret the laws as they see them.  So they are not a person to ask for any legal questions.

Sadly you get them same run around if you call the state offices.  It's all gray area.  I was trying different avenues after I bought my truck back in 2001.  I ended up getting my CDL just so Barney Fife can't harrass me.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

14 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Oh and as for inspection, all you need now is a VIN verification. That can be done at many garages. You do not have to present the vehicle to DMV for inspection.

in todays world , thinking all/most of the DMV inspectors of days past  ( that had common knowledge of class8) have since retired . to register vehicle might be easier ; NOT counting the paperwork part.

• 3 months later...

First time user here, I am considering purchasing a medium duty dump truck for personal use hauling dirt, stone, firewood, etc to my property. I am located in CT and do not have a CDL. I am trying to stay below 26000lb GVWR for the truck that I buy but I have found a few options with 32-33k GVWR.  This vehicle would be registered with antique plates, not used for any commercial purposes, and would remain in CT.  Am I understanding correctly that I should not need a CDL even though the GVWR is above 26k?  If I got stopped and the officer chose to read the GVWR tag on the truck, is it enough that the vehicle is not registered as a commercial vehicle to avoid a ticket, even if I was loaded? This forum has been a wealth of knowledge, thank you all for your expertise!

not up to date on CT 's latest rules and regs. one thing I found a few yrs back was to put +not for hire= on my FA hino . pulled a 10 ton gooseneck trailer with two farm tractors out of Maine. was pulled on the Maine scales and the Officer never inspected any paper work once he saw the not for hire label. think it also helped when he showed interest in the old tractors.

• Like 1

This is what I would do, have proof of ownership ( bill of sale or title), proof of insurance, VIN verification and go to a DMV office. Request Classic Vehicle registration. You can get and fill out all necessary forms on the DMV website, then print them off. Offer only that information that is required, volunteer nothing else.

Once you get your plates, clearly placard the vehicle “Not For Hire”. That is not required, but it clarifies what you’re doing. CDL is not required as far as I can determine, gross weight is not a factor. Be as pleasant as possible at DMV or if ever stopped by a LEO. Attitude goes a long way during any dealings with officials.

If you want an example of how screwed up things are, look at this “Pizza Truck” I observed at a function. Clearly a Commercial Operation, company names and alcohol service in a public setting. Just because it’s a vintage vehicle doesn’t make it non-commercial.

IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0221.jpeg

On 7/25/2023 at 8:04 PM, Joey Mack said:

where in Maine?  just curious..  Jojo

10miles out of holton . 95 all the way up to exit 302 . off rte 1 - can't remember the towns name now; darn !! cabin/ farm one mile off rte 1 , beyond beautiful= no electricity. wood stove in center of cabin for 4 am coffee. I pitched a tent in the woods between some trees to lessen the possibility of moose walking over it. 

• Like 1

My experiencing has been few involved with making sure the rules are followed, know the rules when it comes to non-commercial, outside the "norm". Antiques "Should" fall under the same rules as an RV. A CDL or air brake training is not required of RV owners, and there is no "weight" on the RV plate in most cases. They are considered non commerical. this is true even on large motor coach based RV's.

Federal rules for CDL can vary from state rules. State rules can be stricter but must a least meet federal requirements.

One thing many don't know, is if your state has adopted the fed rules for a CDL, you can "self certify" intra or interstate exempt. This means you don't have to get a physical every 2 years (or one) after your professional driving days are done. If you don't re classify yourself, if you don't get a physical, your lic will be downgraded.  In Iowa, it takes a trip to the county seat to make the change.  There are some states I've been told, this is not an option, I think it was AZ or NM that adopted a stricter set of rules. That said, if it is legal in your state there should be reciprocity with all states.

Keeping and renewing a CDL might be a little more expensive than a "normal" llic but I think it is worth it. Getting yearly or bi annual DOT physicals is what makes most who had a CDL drop it when they retire.

Normal truck plates that a weight based are so to pay the road tax to keep up the roads. That is why Antique plates on something carrying a load bring special attention. Someone hauling the antiques to a show, does it really matter that 2 or three are riding on a trailer vs being driven? Of course not. Does an antique cause more wear on the road when compared to a large Motor Coach based RV? I doubt it. The problem is too many times those charged with enforcing see "Truck" and little else.

As others have said, NON-Commercial (Not just "not for hire) on the truck can help.  No prize money, no someone else paying you to take their truck on your trailer to a show.

I found the people at the main state office far more helpful than the satellite offices, that only know one thing and one way to register a truck.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help. I contacted the CT DMV main office and received the following information:

"You will need to obtain a CDL license to operate the truck, Connecticut state law requires any vehicle weighing 26,001lbs or more for the operator needs to have a CDL license even if it's for personal use"

In the CT state statutes a recreational vehicle is defined as a "camper, camp trailer, or motor home classes of vehicles", and a commercial vehicle is defined as "a vehicle designed or used to transport passengers or property".  Looks like a dump truck, whether registered as classic or not, would still be considered a commercial vehicle (not an RV) and use does not matter for licensing here in CT.  The FMCSA regulations leave it up to the state to decide whether drivers of vehicles typically requiring a CDL still need a commercial license even for personal use.  Looks like I'm sticking with something less than 26000lb, it is simply too expensive to take a CDL course and get licensed for the moderate increase in productivity a larger truck would provide in my sporadic use

You can be "not for hire" and still be commercial. Wal Mart hauling its own stuff to stores is "not for hire' but is still commercial.  A truck hauling dirt is going to be looked at as commercial.

Registered weight and GVW on the vehicle tag are two different things, a Motor Coach based RV my have a 32K or higher GVW but still be no CDL.  How your state or even the cop that pulls your over interoperates the statue may differ.  

If you want to play it safe, stay under 26K or get a CDL

Kind of irrelevant to the discussion since he is inquiring about CT. In PA there is class A, class B, and class C licenses. Also there is class A CDL and Class B CDL licenses. Technically if you operate a large motorhome with a 33,000 GVW for your pleasure you need a class B license. If your towing a trailer with your pickup that has a gvw higher than 9,999 pounds you need to obtain a class A license. obviously you need a CDL if your engaged in commerce, you drive for a living, etc. Most people don't know about this and pull their 32' 14,000 gvw travel trailers with a regular class C license they got when they turned 16. I don't think anybody cares though. The difference between the class A/B licenses versus the class A/B CDLs is the medical inspection BS, hours of service BS, Pre trip inspection BS, etc. You have to pass the same driving tests as you would a CDL to prove a level of proficiency to operate a large vehicle/combination, however, you are not subject to all the regulatory stuff CDL holders are. But like I said I don't think any law enforcement are pulling guys over towing their RVs, ATVs, or antique tractors looking to see if they have the proper noncommercial license.....

It really comes down to right or wrong what the officer thinks when he has you pulled over. Even if he is wrong, you are still on the hook until court.  Silly stuff like the tent in the back makes no difference, You and he have to deal with what is infront of them at the time.

I always tried to be sure and err on the side of caution.