Mack R-410X Dump Truck

7 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Any idea what kind of torque and hp those engines put out?  

210 HP and 372 on torque.

7 hours ago, Prowrench said:

Looks like a big block MoPar 🧐 with a lousville bumper I wonder is this factory?

Mopar engine legit in a Mack R410.  Front bumper, not so much.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

That hood cracks me up. It's fiberglass, but is set up with the foldup sides you see on steel hoods.  You flip those sides up and the motor is 4 feet down below the hood! Lol that hood is useless like that.

my bet is at one time in it's life it wore a snow plow out front and the doors were cut in the hood because it would not flip open with the plow on to check oil or other fluids. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

With that motor in that truck I doubt it could handle a 7.5 foot plow.  But it's possible, no holes for plow lights on the fenders because the engine can't handle anything bigger than a pickup truck plow which would ride below the factory headlights anyways, or would have its own light bar. That'd make a decent yard truck for someone that just needs to putt putt around moving dirt on their acreage. That's what we use our U685T for. Run it like once every 5 years for projects on our property. It's days plowing snow are long gone unless I replace the whole cab and redo all the airlines brakes and tires and hydraulics.

Edited by JoeH

Neat truck, I always thought the R-410's were a preview of what Mack would have been like under Chrysler ownership!

The 413's were among the best truck gas V-8's.  Very much different than the passenger car-light truck 383's, 400's, and 440's. 

Wasn't there a R-400 very early on that had a Magnadyne flathead 6 in it?

Edited by RoadwayR

30 minutes ago, RoadwayR said:

Wasn't there a R-400 very early on that had a Magnadyne flathead 6 in it?

That would have been an R-402 with a flathead.  Offered between 1966-1968 with 219 built.

The Dog would have been a real dog!

• Like 2

Jim

The hood might be OEM to the truck. 

It was cut with a jigsaw by Bucky the Beaver and is a little rough vs what a factory fiberglass hood with correct molded access panels for snow plow duty.

7 minutes ago, KKERGALL said:

Hood and bumper not original. Later model hood with openings not sure what bumper is from. Town of Newington, CT had several of these. 

Jim

413 was an animal in those R400's. we had a few R402's with the junk 401 an duplexes and one R410SX, baby 18 speed double over quad and 44 rears and was told that it would run like its ass was on fire, could outrun a B61 or the T800 Ford we had with a 534 gas. was no match for a 549 International tho. this was the late 60's when gas was still cheap

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 10:37 PM, Maddog13407 said:

413 was an animal in those R400's. we had a few R402's with the junk 401 an duplexes and one R410SX, baby 18 speed double over quad and 44 rears and was told that it would run like its ass was on fire, could outrun a B61 or the T800 Ford we had with a 534 gas. was no match for a 549 International tho. this was the late 60's when gas was still cheap

If your Ford was a T-800 it was not a 534.  

21 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

477 I think actually? 

Matt-If T-800 not a Super Duty (401, 477,534)  If it was a 477 would have been a T-850 or T-950-and 477's were not known as being dogs.   Depending on year I think a T-800 would have been a 391-which would explain why it was a dog compared to say a 549.

I drove a Fleetstar once that had a 537 V-8 in it, sort of an improved 549 I guess.  Truck had a 5X4 in it, geared really short.  I wasn't the best at driving a 5X4, but I could make it pull pretty hard.  

Don't know what the issues were, but I remember hearing the big International V-8's were not the most reliable big gassers.

The company I work for had a bunch of 534 Fords back in the day.  Last one I remember seeing was a 70-something LT-900.  I never got a chance to drive it, but never heard anything bad about it.  I know by then the 534's didn't make a whole lot of power due to emissions, which was why they were dropped a couple of years after the Lima 429 came out.  The 429's were great, only problems I ever saw with those were the cams going flat and the oil pump pickups falling off.  Even that wasn't much of an issue if the driver shut it off quick enough.

Outside of the 413/EN414, my favorite big gassers were the GMC 401 and 478 V-6's.  That 702 V-12 must have really been a monster.  

Always wanted to drive a REO V-8, heard they were pretty good.

Edited by RoadwayR

I lived near some gravel pits in the 60s so remember seeing a lot of those gas powered tandem dumps. The V8s made some melodious music, but they weren't all that fast, as most has only mid 200s horsepower. Short lived too, as by the 70s they'd been mostly replaced by diesels which went faster with less drama.