2 cycle oil in fuel

ws721

Question

I was talking to a Gentlemen the other day who said he runs 2  cycle oil in his fuel for his old 3406A. Has  anybody ever tried this?  He claims it will keep the alleregy  from forming in the fuel

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

I’ve heard of guys running atf in their fuel to help add lubricity to these new ULSD. I’ve always wondered how do you prove to the dot when they dip your tanks that it’s only atf not off-road fuel?

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

you don't 

all you can hope for is they believe you. 

which i really don't think they will, since ULSD has more lubrication than the old high sulfur ever did. 

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I’m no expert but I’ve never heard ultra low sulfur being worth a damn when it comes to lubricity. That’s why everyone really started pushing the use of fuel additives especially for older stuff.  Our county started buying biodiesel and blending it with regular diesel for lubricity reasons. Apparently it has worked. I’ve been told they don’t have near as many fuel pump problems as they used to. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876610215013879

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

Heard of ATF being used in fuel back in the day.  Wouldn't risk it now because of the color! 

I have also heard of some shops getting rid of their waste crankcase oil by putting it in the fuel tank to be burned.  Who knows what ratio of fuel to waste oil might be? 50/1 maybe?

I have being using Power Service Diesel Kleen for lubrication and as a fuel stabilizer.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

30 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Heard of ATF being used in fuel back in the day.  Wouldn't risk it now because of the color! 

I have also heard of some shops getting rid of their waste crankcase oil by putting it in the fuel tank to be burned.  Who knows what ratio of fuel to waste oil might be? 50/1 maybe?

I have being using Power Service Diesel Kleen for lubrication and as a fuel stabilizer.

We had a couple of freight shakers with Mercedes engines and they had a special spendy tool that sucked oil out then went through a machine which filtered it and put it back in the oil. 

3 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

We had a couple of freight shakers with Mercedes engines and they had a special spendy tool that sucked oil out then went through a machine which filtered it and put it back in the oil. 

Interesting!  Never heard of that.  Must be one hell of a filter!

Jim

2 hours ago, j hancock said:

Interesting!  Never heard of that.  Must be one hell of a filter!

Well at least we didn’t have to worry about loss of any performance with that engine when adding oil to the fuel. Those were by far the most gutless pos’s in our fleet and they cost us huge money to keep running. I had heard the last 3 years of owning those 2 Mercedes powered trucks they cost our company $91,000 in repairs and that is what pushed upper management to ok getting rid of them before 800,000 miles. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, JoeH said:

By allergy do you mean algae? There's a fungicide fuel treatment you can use. Kills it, but nothing's going to dissolve it. Pretreat fuel with it when you fill a truck up. 

Yes that's what I ment.  I use Lucas for the lubrication part but im wondering how best to prevent the algae?

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

15 minutes ago, ws721 said:

Yes that's what I ment.  I use Lucas for the lubrication part but im wondering how best to prevent the algae?

I haven't used this flavor of Power Service but it may help you out.  Here is some info on Bio Kleen.

I use the Power Service Diesel Kleen at fill ups for lubrication and fuel "tune up" and see no evidence of algae.  This is for a hobby truck and sits mostly.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/

Jim

I usually buy Stanadyne since that's what the pump and injector shop I use recommends. That, Power Service, and Howe's all smells like biodiesel to me. I have had to buy Power Service and Howe's before due to getting bad fuel and the next stop only carrying one or the other of those two, they seem to work alright. The extra lubricity is supposed to help prolong old pumps, especially distributor type, and from experience it really seems to help cut down on injector drip on old worn injectors.

In Ontario if they catch you I'm told it's a set fine plus you have to provide fuel receipts proving  when you last used clear fuel then they take your mileage and charge you the difference in fuel tax.

The dyed fuel enforcement program was launched in 1994 by the government of the United States. It is run by IRS. Whether it is Washington, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, or other states, the fine for illegal use of dyed diesel is $10/gallon or $1,000 per violation (a tank with red diesel), whichever is greater. For instance, if 20 gallons of such fuel are revealed in your tank, the fine will be $1,000. Two such tanks will make it double. After the first violation, each repeated one will increase a penalty by $1,000 compared to previous violation, so the total amount of penalty is very flexible. Add to that the State tax fines per gallon which is from 30 to 80 cents per gallon depending on state.  here ie a link to a tax fine chart.

http://offroadguides.com/what-is-the-fine-for-running-off-road-diesel.html

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ok, seems better to add some amount of used engine oil together with ATF. The fuel will be BLACK that way.

Locally I was told about a person running an old Mercedes car diesel on a clean ATF. Have no idea on how it could be safe for a pump but would expect plenty of carbon in the chambers. And probably smoke.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I add Walmart two (2) stroke oil to my fuel every time I fill. I only use two (2) stroke for the claim and benefit of adding lubricity. It is blue in color so there is no worries about turning my fuel red. I don't know what if anything it does to prevent algae but if it helps as the OP might indicate then so much the better.. I notice when I do not use two (2) stroke in my Chevy 6.5 Diesel the pump and top end appears to clatter or make more noise. So far I've had no adverse side effects and one thing for certain there is mileage per gallon increase using the two (2) stoke oil as an additive. I'm not condoning, advising or advocating anyone the use of two (2) stroke as a diesel fuel additive but it appears or seems to work for me. I don't have any diesel powered equipment newer then 25 years old and it might NOT BE ADVISABLE to us two stroke oil in new equipment specifically designed for to use of Low Sulfur Fuel. 

• Like 1

Mack 11E.jpg

On 7/27/2019 at 4:11 PM, Vladislav said:

Ok, seems better to add some amount of used engine oil together with ATF. The fuel will be BLACK that way.

Locally I was told about a person running an old Mercedes car diesel on a clean ATF. Have no idea on how it could be safe for a pump but would expect plenty of carbon in the chambers. And probably smoke.

ATF will actually clean the carbon  when used in any engine but full time diet, no good because ATF has a ton of friction additives to make the clutch packs  and  such work in an automatic.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:31 PM, 41chevy said:

The dyed fuel enforcement program was launched in 1994 by the government of the United States. It is run by IRS. Whether it is Washington, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, or other states, the fine for illegal use of dyed diesel is $10/gallon or $1,000 per violation (a tank with red diesel), whichever is greater. For instance, if 20 gallons of such fuel are revealed in your tank, the fine will be $1,000. Two such tanks will make it double. After the first violation, each repeated one will increase a penalty by $1,000 compared to previous violation, so the total amount of penalty is very flexible. Add to that the State tax fines per gallon which is from 30 to 80 cents per gallon depending on state.  here ie a link to a tax fine chart.

http://offroadguides.com/what-is-the-fine-for-running-off-road-diesel.html

Years back they did a sting operation in the county south of us. They waited at a Livestock auction house till the lot was full then started busting farmers. Most farms have a diesel pulling the livestock transport trailers. Not too many farm diesel pickups without red fuel in them prior to it. Then again not too many gasoline pickups on the farm without red fuel (doctored up on Marvel Mystery Oil). They all seem to have a jug. Farmer took me out in his Piper Cub one day and before we left he was putting a few spoonful in each tank for good luck. Still alive so...………..its a marvel?:thumb:

On 7/25/2019 at 6:18 PM, JoeH said:

By allergy do you mean algae? There's a fungicide fuel treatment you can use. Kills it, but nothing's going to dissolve it. Pretreat fuel with it when you fill a truck up. 

...why would you use a fungicide to treat algae?.....algae is not a fungus....