The Mars was the big brother of the Martin PBM Mariner.

Martin designed the jet-propelled P6M Seamaster for the Navy when they wanted their own B-52 equivalent. The Air Force raised a huge fuss in congress and successfully forced an end to the program. Too bad.....brilliant aircraft.

The days of them taking off and landing on Middle River were something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackdaddy said:

tri plex and it is hard to believe looking back riding with my Dad in his 57 H hauling one big steel coil on a 32ft triaxle trailer. Going up a long grade he'd have a cigarette out the corner of his mouth and both hands on the shifters. He'd get it all the way in low and that truck would just rear up and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Now thinking about those hot muggy summers in western PA and him on the way to Newark, NJ. Tough guys then!

I learned real early how to get along with 2 sticks starting about the age of 16 in an old diamond t off road truck hot- dirty-rough riding -should i go on?   :)  maybe i should add that i ran a 220 powered emeryville up and down through your part of the country also. it had the standard 260 ac system

Edited by carlotpilot
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mackdaddy said:

tri plex and it is hard to believe looking back riding with my Dad in his 57 H hauling one big steel coil on a 32ft triaxle trailer. Going up a long grade he'd have a cigarette out the corner of his mouth and both hands on the shifters. He'd get it all the way in low and that truck would just rear up and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Now thinking about those hot muggy summers in western PA and him on the way to Newark, NJ. Tough guys then!

And I'll bet a lot of heat coming up from the radiator and engine since your feet are almost touching them.

10 hours ago, mackdaddy said:

Thought about the lead picture and curious if the H-67 was previously owned by Harry Muhlschlegal from NJ?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

11 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

did Harry pass? his Roadway H model is in Keystone truck and tractor, i just stopped there this past weekend. he also had a pristine restored  green single axle B that i have never seen since it was shown at Macungie 1 or 2 times

As far as I know he is still with us.

Five or so years ago, the green B and a New Century curtainside Trail-Eze (?) show truck trailer was purchased by Tackaberry.  Another truck was part of the deal but I can't remember what it was at the moment.

Jim

I have seen Harry at a few ATHS shows since he sold off his collection although not for the past few years. He just took a negative view towards owning restored trucks and sold them off. The Roadway H model and the KW conv both at Keystone now were and are exceptional.

8 hours ago, j hancock said:

As far as I know he is still with us.

Five or so years ago, the green B and a New Century curtainside Trail-Eze (?) show truck trailer was purchased by Tackaberry.  Another truck was part of the deal but I can't remember what it was at the moment.

I thought George bought a highbinder and Hank Doornekamp bought a Crackerbox.  There might have been three trucks on that trailer.  Mike. 

3 hours ago, yarnall said:

I thought George bought a highbinder and Hank Doornekamp bought a Crackerbox.  There might have been three trucks on that trailer.  Mike. 

Sounds good.  Harry did have a nice single axle Highbinder in red and black and no doubt George loves Binders.  And Hank is big into GM's.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...