MH engine air intake snorkel, yes or no?

Greetings fellow Lodge members, just need your opinion here.....

the air intake on my E9 gets in the way of everything, it lays on top of the 'V' from back of cab and splays out to lay on top of my radiator, PITA when trying to work...

so, my 89 MH E9-500 parts truck came with the back of the cab snorkel type air intake and the steel supports for a twin exhaust just like mine..... hmmmmm

I have been told by a reasonable source that the ram air effect from the snorkel is better than the 'slot' over the radiator.

now, this is for a restored truck, not for show, not for more power, not to look "Aussie".... but when I look through my collection of MH photos and factory brochures there are very few trucks with the snorkel... why was that???

assuming I go ahead with the mod.... the intake cyclonic or swirl inducing housing (and I know one of you will tell me the official name for it) has what looks like a decal on it, looks like a sideways letter "T", was that factory and what did it say??... also, I know it to be black, but gloss or semi-gloss??

thanks for the help

BC Mack

IMG_10541.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

Edited by BC Mack
  • Like 1

Donaldson and Maradyne made scoops.  Maybe others?  I believe Donaldson was the Ram Air Moisture Eliminator and are the ones pictured below.

I would probably go with satin black.

Have fun and go for two!

1985 Magnum.jpg

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

It seems I'm turning into an archaeologist with this mini-project, today I took to painting the parts so I dis-assembled the vortex intake... as I took it apart I was trying to find a clue as to who the manufacturer was, a part number, whatever... nada... so I figured the painted over decal may have something, it came off in one piece with a heatgun and some solvents got the coat off black paint off... hey presto... 

so... learned gentlemen.... who made "Power Ram" air intakes????? 

as said before, it's been hard to find pictures of an MH with a snorkel (other than Oz trucks and pimped up show trucks)... can't say I've seen every photo of an MH but this was the only photo I found which interestingly is also a Canadian truck, my parts truck origin is in Quebec

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/chris_hall/kingsway/ch_kingsway_mack_ultra_liner.jpg

we don't DO Hanks here, so you'll have to DIY

the vortex chamber and "weather vane spinner" is new to me, I can only figure that it assists in expelling ingested water... anyone want to sound out on how this works...!!!

I still cannot figure out if this is a factory option, dealer option or just an aftermarket thing...

see what tomorrow brings...

BC Mack

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

• Like 2

As far as the vortex things goes, I was lead to believe it's for removing water. 

My dad over the years has 7 cab over Kenworth's. 5 of them didn't have them, 2 of them did. No correlation to engine or year. So it's anyone's guess. 

I dunno my ass from my elbow as you would all know 
I dont believe they make anymore power but remove solids as in water and dust 

If anything if not fitted right they make less power as a vacuum can be created at the rear of the cab and a lot of COE Kenworths and no doubt some other brands shifted the intakes to up near the front of the cab to eliminate this 

Paul

• Like 2

"Snorkel Air Intake", in lieu of "Frontal Air Intake", was a factory option.

Included was a Donaldson Air Ram Moisture Eliminator.

Ryder Truck Rental chose the option on a majority of their MH Ultra-Liner purchases.

The option was paired with a 13-inch Donaldson air cleaner on non-sleeper cabs (CA60), and a 16-inch Donaldson air cleaner on sleeper cabs (CAS62).

The optional was available with Mack 6-cylinder, Mack V-8, Cummins and Caterpillar powertrains.

The option was not available on MH642/643 models with Detroit Diesel power.

The option had a retail price of US$562 for the CA60 cab with a weight addition of 47 pounds.

The option had a retail price of US$753 for the CAS62 cab with a weight addition of 54 pounds.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

"Snorkel Air Intake", in lieu of "Frontal Air Intake", was a factory option.

Included was a Donaldson Air Ram Moisture Eliminator.

Ryder Truck Rental chose the option on a majority of their MH Ultra-Liner purchases.

The option was paired with a 13-inch Donaldson air cleaner on non-sleeper cabs (CA60), and a 16-inch Donaldson air cleaner on sleeper cabs (CAS62).

The optional was available with Mack 6-cylinder, Mack V-8, Cummins and Caterpillar powertrains.

The option was not available on MH642/643 models with Detroit Diesel power.

The option had a retail price of US$562 for the CA60 cab with a weight addition of 47 pounds.

The option had a retail price of US$753 for the CAS62 cab with a weight addition of 54 pounds.

KSC

thanks for the info

pic below is of a truck I was thinking of buying last year, it has the snorkel as you describe with the Donaldson intake, but mine is an all aluminum unit hence my "conclusion" it is a Maradyne...

BC Mack

nanaimo06.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

finally got some time to finish this off, turned out ok, may try later to move it up a couple of inches by rotating the air cleaner but it will do just fine for now...

spare tire left on top of the frame while I design a side frame mount behind the right fuel tank, all I need is another project..!!

road tested and nothing fell off..!!!

BC Mack

IMG_11913.JPG

IMG_11915.JPG

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Hobert.... I have a simple design in mind that copies a common tire carrier seen more in eu and uk.... maybe drivers there still know how to change a flat without a cellphone..!!!   a trailer tire basket still involves a struggle in-out

have added photos showing the basis on the design, has a built in winch which I may make detachable, it also serves as a step.

Swishy... agreed, by rotating the air cleaner so the intake is horizontal will raise the tube 2-3 inches... the parts are oem from 1989 and I went with the old rub marks for position.

BC Mack

spare tire carrier example.jpg

rc2 stripes sample 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought of your MH when I was at a local show and saw this snorkel on this F model. I estimate the bottom of his snorkel sits 14 inches above his cab. He thinks that it is factory. It may need to sit that high to get into the air flow coming over the top of the cab. If it is too low it will be in a negative pressure area but I do not know how much that would affect engine performance.

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

• Like 1

The snorkel looks very good:thumb:

For the spare tyre bracket I just can't spot the area quite enough to put a wheel at the right of the chassis. From my screen it looks a tyre can't get in between the right tank and the FR wheels.

For the bracket itself which I also have in plans I got an idea. Should note I looked over 5-6 variants of them off European trucks at a junk yard (DAF, Scania, Volvo, MAN, MB) and found out all they have wheel mounting bolts arranged for European pattern. So American wheel required modification to be attached (what I saw on some Macks at shows in The Netherlands. The other day I bought a battery box bracked off late 90's Mack DM. It was attached at the right just below the cab. Consists of two steel plates of a shape of triangle with flanges bent at the bottom. Like many other chassis-mounted brackets. Seeing that part I realized I can use those two side plates. Just welding a pair of steel strips to them at the bottom, drilling 4 holes of the size American wheel has for and a spare wheel bracket is done. The last point would be a small winch to lift a wheel in place.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

MH Fred.... yes, maybe a little fine tuning down the road, maybe a new tube too as this was off an 89 and a little worn in places

Vlad... since you are on the other side of the Atlantic you will get to see far more trucks carry a spare tire (tyre) on the tractor side frame and not on the trailer, so you understand my thoughts... another spot is between the frame rails tucked up under the back of the truck but you've got to be sure the trailer legs will clear.. we did that to the Volvo F88's, but it wouldn't work with the MH short overhang... also, on my MH wheelbase I have to move the right tank forward 2-3" to fit a lo-profile 24.5 42" tire, but with an 11R I would need more room and would probably install a shorter fuel tank.

BC Mack

MH Fred.... yes, maybe a little fine tuning down the road, maybe a new tube too as this was off an 89 and a little worn in places

Vlad... since you are on the other side of the Atlantic you will get to see far more trucks carry a spare tire (tyre) on the tractor side frame and not on the trailer, so you understand my thoughts... another spot is between the frame rails tucked up under the back of the truck but you've got to be sure the trailer legs will clear.. we did that to the Volvo F88's, but it wouldn't work with the MH short overhang... also, on my MH wheelbase I have to move the right tank forward 2-3" to fit a lo-profile 24.5 42" tire, but with an 11R I would need more room and would probably install a shorter fuel tank.

BC Mack

Sean, from what I see on the pic shortening/swapping the tank is the only way. For that reason I kept one of my R's tanks stock length while adding a quoter meter to the other when did re-skin. Will put the spare on the right rail in my case. Les safe taking it off being on a shoulder.

For the spare wheel arrangement the most trailer in the streets here are European made, rode on 6 385/65 supersingles as US folks call them. So people have a tractor spare on the tractor chassis and one or two trailer spares under the trailer's floor.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2017 at 9:11 PM, BC Mack said:

Greetings fellow Lodge members, just need your opinion here.....

the air intake on my E9 gets in the way of everything, it lays on top of the 'V' from back of cab and splays out to lay on top of my radiator, PITA when trying to work...

so, my 89 MH E9-500 parts truck came with the back of the cab snorkel type air intake and the steel supports for a twin exhaust just like mine..... hmmmmm

I have been told by a reasonable source that the ram air effect from the snorkel is better than the 'slot' over the radiator.

now, this is for a restored truck, not for show, not for more power, not to look "Aussie".... but when I look through my collection of MH photos and factory brochures there are very few trucks with the snorkel... why was that???

assuming I go ahead with the mod.... the intake cyclonic or swirl inducing housing (and I know one of you will tell me the official name for it) has what looks like a decal on it, looks like a sideways letter "T", was that factory and what did it say??... also, I know it to be black, but gloss or semi-gloss??

thanks for the help

BC Mack

IMG_10541.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

As a fellow Canuck.....this was actually something that was also regularly installed at the dealer/branch side after delivery due to a lot of complaints with customers in MH E9 powered units that ran across the prairies in Canada. With a side wind customers felt the engine was not getting enough air into the under cab intake. Complaints were of both lack of power and black smoke. A good number of MH E9 powered units out of Toronto that hauled out west had this snorkel intake installed by the branch after delivery. It helped a bit, but not a lot. The under cab intake was thought to be too far under the cab in a side wind to suck a proper volume under load in. Doesn't mean it was the answer, but lots were installed as requested.

• Like 1

I thought that a snorkel ment it was a 633 unless special order?  It does clean up the engine though. I'm going to put a snorkel on my 9670 this winter. A to clean up the engine area and B to get the air filter away from the hot engine and C just cuz I want dual air filters and like the look of 2 snorkels.  Ole Truck driver told years ago, he said  "Boy, a diesel needs 2 things to run. Fuel & air. And air is free so give it all it wants!"

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!