Got Milk?

j hancock

Used to have those delivering milk and one from Dugan's Bakery delivering bread when I was young. Nice.   Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 0:48 PM, 41chevy said:

Used to have those delivering milk and one from Dugan's Bakery delivering bread when I was young. Nice.   Paul

Born in Yonkers.   Remember Dugan's bakery and Dellwood dairy both delivered to our house with Divco trucks.  Driver could swing seat out of the way and move vehicle from stop to stop with hand controls standing up to save time. That set up would never be allowed today.  Very cool vehicles. 

• Like 1

I also recall we living with my grandparents when a baby. And remember those trucks coming to the house with bottled milk. The man had on a white uniform and billed hat. Most of my old neighborhood houses are gone. The airport bought them because of noise abatement. Most of my growing up days was a mile from the airport. Oh yea, the milk company was Jersey Farms.It has been out of business for many years.

• Like 1

I was just young enough to remember the milk man, the bread man coming on Saturday morning.   I still remember the good days when mom would buy some maple rolls and we would heat them up!!  Yum.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Schneiders Dairy, Near Whitehall pa served the whole south hills of Pittsburgh Pa! Delivered all the dairy products plus bread,orange juice, and the maple rolls! We had one of those galvanized boxes, had about a half inch of insulation inside. My buddy's dad next door drove about a 15 ft reefer old cornbinder,brought it home every night,did his deliveries in the am.Meadow Gold Dairy. There was a big Isalys dairy plant on the north side of Pittsburgh,Where the Klondike bar originated! The milkman wore a white uniform with a billed cap and a little bow tie! Like the old Texaco gas station guys wore!

• Like 1

Another era gone by. My dad worked  in the packaging  industry in the '50's -'70's. I  remember him working on machines that  would  be putting  milk into plastic jugs ( as we know it today). He came home and told us that soon we could be buying our milk at a gas station. That was 1967. Those Divco's got parked eventually,as we DID buy our milk at a gas station. Some areas continued on a smaller scale,but nothing like it was. I sure do miss the taste of  the  milk in those glass 1/2 gallon bottles,though. Even though those nasty plastic  bottles  did put groceries  on the table.       Al  

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

My dad was the milkman fir a couple of years in the mid sixties. He went back to building houses and from the Divco to an Autocar dump.

I used to drive by the Divco dealer (Whittemore Truck Sales Brockton Ma) twice a day going to and from work in the early eighties. They still had a bunch of used ones there for sale and ones being repaired.

Went to our son and daughter in law''s house Saturday and noticed they had a milk box by the garage door, home milk delivery alive still.

• Like 1

On April 6, 2017 at 0:33 PM, Mike said:

I used to get teased when a baby how I got my red hair. I would tell them, I got it from the milk man. It stirred up a many laughs from people. 

My grandfather was a milk man for his grandfathers dairy and he has a red beard when he grows one....        But that dosent explain my red hair.   

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

used to have two dairies in walking distance of my house as a little kid ,and both were on my side of the street so I could go any time , one had a big soda fountain   and sold bread and milk and packaged ice cream . the other was a bottler and delivery but the had an out let for Ice cream and sodas plus bread butter cottage cheese eggs . the best was the old one quart bottles with the bulb on top for the cream and the cardboard disc stopper(now they are pokyman) . Back before the school lunch push started you could buy white milk or chocolate in little 1/2 pint  glass bottles . the dairy used Divco trucks and there shop backed up to my friends back yard I watched them repair many trucks through the windows .

Edited by gxbxc
  • Like 2

Schneiders Dairy, Near Whitehall pa served the whole south hills of Pittsburgh Pa! Delivered all the dairy products plus bread,orange juice, and the maple rolls! We had one of those galvanized boxes, had about a half inch of insulation inside. My buddy's dad next door drove about a 15 ft reefer old cornbinder,brought it home every night,did his deliveries in the am.Meadow Gold Dairy. There was a big Isalys dairy plant on the north side of Pittsburgh,Where the Klondike bar originated! The milkman wore a white uniform with a billed cap and a little bow tie! Like the old Texaco gas station guys wore!.who would have.ever thought they would be building street rods out of the old utilitarian Divco trucks?! When I owned a hotshot rig we used to haul the little "mail jeeps" by Grumman Industries in Marcy PA. Weren't really jeeps but we're referred to as such! The Divco subject got me thinking about the many "purpose built"  light and medium vehicles of the past like the "metro" vans and the old "checker" cabs which used a GM chassis and running gear. I believe private individuals could buy the Checker marathon which was the "civilian" version of the taxicab!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BillyT said:

The Divco subject got me thinking about the many "purpose built"  light and medium vehicles of the past like the "metro" vans and the old "checker" cabs which used a GM chassis and running gear. I believe private individuals could buy the Checker marathon which was the "civilian" version of the taxicab!

Funny you mentioned the old Checker Marathon. l just saw one in Concord NH last week. lt was in sad looking shape but still going under it's own power!  Hippy...........

• Like 1

aaaaaaah the good ole days.....here in reno recently a couple of the big grocery chains decided to let people place thier grocery list on line....and they will fill your order and deliver it to your house...i think its a fabulous idea,,,,especially for older folks that cant more around so well.....just like the old corner stores used to do....:thumb:...bob

46 minutes ago, mowerman said:

aaaaaaah the good ole days.....here in reno recently a couple of the big grocery chains decided to let people place thier grocery list on line....and they will fill your order and deliver it to your house...i think its a fabulous idea,,,,especially for older folks that cant more around so well.....just like the old corner stores used to do....:thumb:...bob

Giant food stores out of Carlise Pa started offering that as well from some of their stores too.