89 Superliner 350/15 Speed

1958 F.W.D.

It has an Oakville door tag ?  I thought the Oakville Superliners were glider kits but if it were a glider it would have RW700GK ?  but it has RW713  all the Oakville Superliner Gliders I've seen had GK behind the model .  I know they built Complete R models there but I thought the Superliners from there were glider kits . Did they build complete Superliners in Oakville too ? 

Prior to 1987, production of Allentown glider kits was outsourced for many years to Allentown-based R.D. Knorr Industries, a long time supplier. Note that only glider kits came with Kysor Mini Brute heater/AC units. Complete trucks came, at first with Signet, and by 1986? with Red Dot (like this truck).

In 1987, Curcio wanted to shift Allentown glider kit production from Knorr to Macungie. I don't recall the outcome.

20 hours ago, BAD DOG said:

It has an Oakville door tag ?  I thought the Oakville Superliners were glider kits but if it were a glider it would have RW700GK ?  but it has RW713  all the Oakville Superliner Gliders I've seen had GK behind the model .  I know they built Complete R models there but I thought the Superliners from there were glider kits . Did they build complete Superliners in Oakville too ? 

As I remember from the talks on here they did. I have a couple of Oakwille RW VIN plate pic's saved somewhere. Just can't find them right now.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

16 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Prior to 1987, production of Allentown glider kits was outsourced for many years to Allentown-based R.D. Knorr Industries, a long time supplier. Note that only glider kits came with Kysor Mini Brute heater/AC units. Complete trucks came, at first with Signet, and by 1986? with Red Dot (like this truck).

In 1987, Curcio wanted to shift Allentown glider kit production from Knorr to Macungie. I don't recall the outcome.

Any idea which was a better heater?  Oh and somebody should start making rd glider kits again.  volvo never would ...but whoever did could sell a pile of them

8 minutes ago, 6368 said:

Any idea which was a better heater?  Oh and somebody should start making rd glider kits again.  volvo never would ...but whoever did could sell a pile of them

I always felt the Red Dot unit was better than the Kysor "Mini Brute" installed in R/U/DM glider kits by R.D. Knorr. And certainly due to far wider usage, Red Dot parts enjoyed better availability.

On 11/17/2016 at 8:22 PM, BAD DOG said:

I know of one that was an RW713 with a V8 and big bunk. The guy lit it on fire and now all that's left is the frame which my one buddy has and the motor which another buddy has. I have the door tag. The truck was beautiful before he burned it. It was dark grey with a red frame and level 4 red interior. He went to JAIL!

Josh:MackLogo:

Edited by Yoos Brothers Construction

19 hours ago, IH Farms 2 said:

It's a glider from what I can tell the vin starts with a 2m  instead of a 1m.

This truck has been for sale for over 2 years at least in various places

VIN starting from 2 means the truck was made in Canada.

At least a Mack truck.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, j hancock said:

The first 3 digits of the VIN is 2M2.  First 2 is Canada and M2 is for Mack Incomplete.

Incomplete??

It seems strange to me since all 5 SGT R's imported to Russia had their VIN's starting from 2M2N.

It might be VIN coding system was a bit different for the US and Canada Macks.

My R's don't look like they ever were gliders.

Cabs have VIN plates stating the trucks as R688ST what means six wheel tractor. Moreover, there are paper tags in the door openings with info typed onto.

They also contein VIN, the manufacturing date, tyre sizes and weight raitings for both front and REAR axles. The vehicle type is typed as "tractor R688ST".

Seems to me as too many characteristics to be applied to a glider. I still do not pretend on to be an expert though.

I don't know much about the numbering system for VIN's . The only thing I can add is that I have 3 Oakville built trucks that start with 2M2 , and I know they were not gliders because I've known 2 of them since new , and have there original build sheets.   

I do know that the 10th digit ( a letter , should be a "J"  in Vladislav's 1988 )  represents the year. 

• Like 1

Keith 

Sorry for getting this thread off track :unsure:  We might have to start a new thread on decoding a VIN 

Vlad, is it possible that your truck is a 1989 model year ??    

Model Year Character Codes

As shown above, the 10th character of the VIN indicates its model year.

• A: 1980 or 2010
  • B: 1981 or 2011
  • C: 1982 or 2012
  • D: 1983 or 2013
  • E: 1984 or 2014
  • F: 1985 or 2015
  • G: 1986 or 2016
  • H: 1987 or 2017
  • J: 1988
  • K: 1989
  • L: 1990
  • M: 1991
  • N: 1992
  • P: 1993
  • R: 1994
  • S: 1995
  • T: 1996
  • V: 1997
  • W: 1998
  • X: 1999
  • Y: 2000
  • 1: 2001
  • 2: 2002
  • 3: 2003
  • 4: 2004
  • 5: 2005
  • 6: 2006
  • 7: 2007
  • 8: 2008
  • 9: 2009

Country of Origin Character Codes

The 1st character in a car's vehicle identification number indicates the country in which it was manufactured.

Some of the country codes include:

• 1, 4, 5: United States
  • 2: Canada
  • 3A-37: Mexico
  • J: Japan
  • VF-VR: France
  • 9: Brazil
  • WA-W0: West Germany
  • S: Great Britian
  •  

• Like 1

Keith 

Wow!

Plenty of interesting info on here, as usually. Thanks for posting.

Snowdog - my R-model(s) has the manufacturing date as 09.1988 marked on at least two factory tags. One on the door and another on the door opening (paper print under plasitc lamination).

Unfortunately I haven't got factory records for them. Once I contacted Watts (long ago) and a parts guy said me he couldn't identify the truck. I than sent him the second truck's VIN and he had no luck again. Then he said he contacted Mack museum and they didn't have the records either. They requested the tags and I sent pics of them back. No luck in the end. Since then I found two more VINs of the other SGT R's (a lot of 5 was imported to Russia). Should request the museum myself. But it's a trouble for me to make donation to them so I keep this deal for better times so far.

Oo, seems like I have an idea on the year coding mistake. It might mean the letter in VIN indicates a MODEL year, not a calendar one. You know the most producents swap models in September after re-organize production lines in August when the most workers have a rest. So if my truck was made in September it might carry 1989 VIN. Just an idea though.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

I have some ugly news for you VLAD. ....your truck which sounds like it was a Canadian build.

Most of the Canadian build trucks had the records stored at Toronto Branch after the Oakville plant was shut down in 1993.

Most of those files were destroyed in the late 90's when The Toronto Branch was moved and no one wanted to cover the cost of shipping the Canadian records to the museum in PA.  they were thrown out with the trash.  Sad really.

Mack corporate shut Toronto Branch down in late 2001 

Edited by bbigrig
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2016 at 2:36 PM, Vladislav said:

Incomplete??

It seems strange to me since all 5 SGT R's imported to Russia had their VIN's starting from 2M2N.

M2 incomplete is a knocked down unit with parts crated that needed to be installed at point of entry. Generally the parts not installed are front bumper assembly, mirror units, top pipe(s) on exhaust stack(s) and sometimes outer rear tires. Incomplete units also pay  lower export / import duties.    Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE