The cherry picker was a unique looking rig. They were high because they had a flat floor. They didn't sell that well. I understood they had steering problems. However they had a good blood line in the H-63 and 67 as you can see above in the black and red one. If you look at the G model the light area appears to be the same as the H-67.

• Like 1

An eye-catcher!

As for Tonny Champion it would be much cooler to paint it original way indeed.

I'm not familiar with what Ron will say on that matter this time, but in older discussion he stated that's the same truck.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

There are as many ways to paint a truck as there are truck owners,but I'm particularly fond of the old " east coast" style of panel striping especially on older trucks! Would have to see it on a late model aerodyne tractor,but I don't think it would look as good! The Sheehan truck looks good!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brocky said:

Ron

Is that picture of 141 the same tractor that is in Tony Champion's collection??? It is a sharp looking unit and I wish Tony had painted his up as original..

Ralph Smith #146 went on a boat ride.  Here is the previous conversation.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/31980-h-60t-in-australia/

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Have a question for you "cornbinder" experts...A contractor I worked for had an international tandem dump late 50s, long hood like a Hendrickson, checker plate fenders big gas v8 5 and 4 tranny I'm thinking it was a 549 cu in is that the biggest gas engine International made,? Just curious,didn't think they'd let Ford outdo them with the 534!!

Billy

I am NOT an IH expert, But yes the big IH gas job was a 549 c.i. engine and depending on the weather they would run with a 220 Cummins.. Until they got to a gas station, then they would have to stop for more gas!!!

The truck you are describing would have been an R-220 or 230. Withe the steel diamond plate it cold have had a "M" prefix?? Here is a link to the ones BMT member Hurst Scrambler is restoring.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/44928-international-r-model/?page=1

• Like 1

Brocky

Ron

Is that picture of 141 the same tractor that is in Tony Champion's collection??? It is a sharp looking unit and I wish Tony had painted his up as original..

No #141 was an H-61 diesel,

the one Tony has is #146 which was an H-60 with an EN464 Thermodyne gas engine in it.

There were 10 of them in all.

6 H-61s, 1 H-60, and 3 H-613s, they were all originally painted the same as #141

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyT said:

Have a question for you "cornbinder" experts...A contractor I worked for had an international tandem dump late 50s, long hood like a Hendrickson, checker plate fenders big gas v8 5 and 4 tranny I'm thinking it was a 549 cu in is that the biggest gas engine International made,? Just curious,didn't think they'd let Ford outdo them with the 534!!

549 was the big one . freind of mine here has an emeryville with one in it

5 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

549 was the big one . freind of mine here has an emeryville with one in it

My grandfather had 3 emeryvilles. My dad always said the one was supposed to be his.  A real large car.    Had a 238 and rubber block suspension.    They where all long gone before me.  

1 hour ago, Hobert62 said:

My grandfather had 3 emeryvilles. My dad always said the one was supposed to be his.  A real large car.    Had a 238 and rubber block suspension.    They where all long gone before me.  

over the years i have owned 6 of those old horses they were a trip to drive all had 220 cummins  all but one had 10 spd roadrangers  i also had one h model mack . that one did`nt get very far i bought it from a moving co in cal .seemed to run ok .we got it all ready to come back east i started out in long beach got to west covina and she threw a rod out the side of the block so that one wound up back at where i bought it

Edited by carlotpilot

Small world carlotpilot! I had some relatives in West Covina back in the50s thanx all you guys for the info! A 501 6banger must have had enough torque to pull stumps! When I first started hauling cars and they were gradually switching to diesel,we had a couple f750 Ford gas jobs,one was a 477, the other a 534 they were senior driver trucks, as they would out perform the 238 Detroit's we were switching to! I drove them both,ran like raped apes,but averaged 4 mpg! Speaking of big gas jobs there was a steel hauler running out of Braddock pa with one of those long nose "Jimmys" with a v12 gas burner and a compound (probably 5and4) in the early 70s!

• Like 1

On 10/30/2016 at 2:54 PM, BillyT said:

A 501 6banger must have had enough torque to pull stumps!

yea, there was nothing i could not do with that beast. it was in an old "L " series tandem wrecker with a quad box. had a 6 inch straight pipe stack on it, and sounded like a diesel.

name on the back of the truck was G.B.M.F.

i used it to pick up broke down tractor trailers for the town police. guys used to freak out when they heard a gas wrecker was coming for them..... until they heard/saw me rolling up on site.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 10/29/2016 at 4:58 PM, Brocky said:

Billy

I am NOT an IH expert, But yes the big IH gas job was a 549 c.i. engine and depending on the weather they would run with a 220 Cummins.. Until they got to a gas station, then they would have to stop for more gas!!!

The truck you are describing would have been an R-220 or 230. Withe the steel diamond plate it cold have had a "M" prefix?? Here is a link to the ones BMT member Hurst Scrambler is restoring.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/44928-international-r-model/?page=1

R-230.  I'm not sure of what an "M" was but I think they had a shorter hood-the typical R model cab and diamond plate fenders but a different look.  Attached is a picture of Dave Mauro's F-230-done with the usual attention to detail as was the case with all of his trucks.  Last one Dave did before he lost his battle with cancer.

IMG_0899.JPG

IHurst scrambler, that truck pictured,was very similar to the one my boss had,but his truck had very few deluxe accessories(horns mirrors bumper chrome luberfiner etc) was brutal "all business" was that color though! The 534 powered f750 car hauler I drove had the first "steering assist" When it sensed a gas station it " steered" right into it!😁 just realized that Smith H model is pulling a horse van, Reminded me of the horse trailer my buddy used to pull,was a 60s era Diamond T Cabover with a Cummins and a 12 speed spicer,the rectangular Cabover like UPS had. Very rare combo I think! Chester Sayre was the company out of western PA.Hauled thoroughbred horses.

14 hours ago, hurstscrambler said:

I'm not positive, in fact this  is really a guess, but I believe the "M" indicates Gas as opposed to "D" for diesel.  BTW, thanks for posting that pic, what a beautiful truck.   Andy

Andy, Thx for that info- seems to me the truck had a slightly different look but maybe I was confusing it with another binder.

By the way it dawned on me after I posted it, but that shot was taken outside the church.  Note black bunting on grill. great guy who went too soon.