Mike,

It was bought used in either '55 or '56, and was originally a demonstrator unit.

It was an honest to God H-60 with an EN464.

Weird specs.----- Heavy front axle, 67 series duplex transmission(and believe it not or not a 9 speed), and a CRD117 rear!, not to mention the squirrel cage motor!

I'm not quite sure but I thought at one time the poor thing was badly overheated and the block and or heads were cracked and had to be replaced?

This would blow the theory that this truck has the original motor #'s, but then again, as I said, I'm not exactly sure as what the extent of the damage was.

I can personally vouch for the fact that it had a 464 in it, if you had ever driven it you wouldn't soon forget!

It definitely lived up to the nickname it acquired at our place----- "The Gutless Bitch"

Ron

Be something if it did turn out to be one of your families old trucks! its my understanding H-Models of any type are a real rarity in Australia..........kinda hard to make out,but looks like it could be whats left your paint scheme in the first picture?..........Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

only 2 H's made it into Australia as new trucks and one of them is the green H 67 in the above picture. note the words on the bumper about left hand drive. Must of changed the laws as today you cannot haul legally with left hand drive there..........so I am told.

Be something if it did turn out to be one of your families old trucks! its my understanding H-Models of any type are a real rarity in Australia..........kinda hard to make out,but looks like it could be whats left your paint scheme in the first picture?..........Mark

Mark,

The first picture is #146, I know that for sure.

That was the last paint scheme she wore, I think our father was trying to go for some sort of "All American" paint scheme?

My brothers and I never really liked it, this was when it got it's last nickname "The Barber Pole"

I found this picture somewhere on BMT stating that it was taken at Yaworskis.

Then either on the same thread or somewhere else on here it was stated that it was exported to Australia.

Then again I saw the picture of the restored H-60 in Australia and given the rarity of the species that started my mind to wondering!!

Could this be the long lost "Gutless Bitch" #146?

Ron

• Like 2

On another note, we bought two used F-786T's from Horner Mack in, I think it was 1981.

They originally had 20" wheels on them and we wanted to change them to 22"'s. to match the rest of the fleet.

They were to new to find used front wheels for so we had to buy four new ones.

For the rear wheels we bought two used ones from our neighbors and good friends at Glennons Milk Service, another long time West Chester family business.

And the other two came off the rear of #146.

I remember kidding with my brother Tommie when we taking the wheels off of #146 and then putting them on the rear of one of these

"300" series Maxidynes. These things aren't going to know what hit them with all this power going through them!

Definitely a lot more than they were ever used to in their entire life!!!!!

Ron

maybe not good for an over the road tractor but my grandfathers B62SX's with 464's and 72 series 20 speed quads were some brutes in the mud. would walk a B61 like it was standing still to. they stuck with big gas power up here in Ny for the longest time because the old diesels wouldn't start for shit in the winter and the gas jobs had more grunt. least the bigger overhead gas engines did. the little 401's were boat anchors.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's really come full circle.

In another thread there was a data sheet for the H-60ST version of that truck. If you said the single axle was gutless, I could just imagine two driven axles.

• Like 1

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

Wow, that's really come full circle.

In another thread there was a data sheet for the H-60ST version of that truck. If you said the single axle was gutless, I could just imagine two driven axles.

Chuck,

I've got those brochures too!

H60ST, H62ST, can't believe they ever made such things!!

I think they would've been better off making H70's and H72's they would theoretically have had the EN707 in them!

Ron

The verdict is in!

Great news everybody--that pretty blue H-60T from down under is indeed the long lost "Gutless Bitch" #146.

When I think of the times I used to get stuck driving this on local moving jobs, and that was easy, some of my older brothers got stuck driving it long distance.

I never thought after we got rid of it that I'd ever be happy to know of it's whereabouts again,

But I'm tickled to death!

Aint it funny how time changes the way you look at things!!!

Ron

Great news Ron! funny how something from your past (that you didn't think you really missed) shows up again and changes everything! really neat that it ended up being the same truck! I bet the new owner has a million questions,history,etc.?...............Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

If Tony had knew the history of the truck before he started on it I betcha he would have done it up in the Smith livery colors. He loves the history of the trucks he restores and shares it with everyone. Great guy!

Seems like a real nice guy,

Thanks for all your help with the contact information.

When I heard from him last night and he confirmed my suspicions I was tickled to death!

Thanks again.

Ron

There is a restored H-60T in Australia which I believe came from Yaworsky's in New England.

That was last whereabouts of our old H-60T.

I am trying to verify if this restored H-60T is our old unit #146.

#146's chassis # is H-60T1043.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ronattachicon.gifpost-7036-0-75736500-1346508559_thumb.jpgattachicon.gif5108437949_f70224ff56_b.jpgattachicon.gifpost-5920-127362047276_thumb.jpg

Great job on these photos. It restored very beautiful.

• Like 1