Some old trucks never die

B MACK

1 hour ago, Willie dog said:

Love the fuel tank retro-fit.

Water tank to cool the brakes.    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 16.08.2016 at 8:00 PM, 41chevy said:

Water tank to cool the brakes.    Paul

Paul, I can belive to about anything you say.

But this time it seems you're kidding.

At least I see no other fuel tanks on that beast.  And who the hell cools drum brakes with water??

What is that? KW or Sterling?  Cool pictures.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

First off,the guys are right,the loggers did water cool their brakes!! There are no Cat Scales in the forests of the Pacific Northwest.pretty difficult to guess the weight of those bark covered logs especially if they get wet! U can be sure they're not grossing 80000 !Out behind the bar,I remembered the name of the place out your way I used to sell wrecked cars to,was Leetsdale Auto wrecking.

Fuel tanks mounted behind the cab were pretty common on early Kw's,Pete's and many other trucks in the northwest. The off road loggers

were mainly the ones that cooled the drums with water, but it wasn't that common.  Note the fuel tank behind the cab on this 54 Pete that

that belonged to Herrett Trucking Sunnyside , Wa. At one time it was the biggest refrigerated truck line west of the Mississippi.  I use to see

Herrett trucks all the time when I was a kid.

Truck Shop

pete_54.jpg

• Like 2

One ping only

6 hours ago, Vladislav said:

At least I see no other fuel tanks on that beast.  And who the hell cools drum brakes with water??

Look at the photo blown up, there is a good size fuel tank under the right door.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My grandpa talked about turning the water on before heading down the mountain with a load of logs. Got to remember those roads were skinny, steep with lots of switch backs. The trucks didn't have jakes and like mentioned above no scales, loads were measured by the board foot. Until jakes came around I don't think watering your drums was that rare. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

7 hours ago, Vladislav said:

for one co. although an old one   ( rio grande trucking) out of denver colo had 1963-4-5 -6 and 67 petes and kws with  jake brakes + 12 in wide watercooled mountain brakes on all their trailers and most of the tractors

• Like 1

Guys, thanks alot for the extended explanations. Always something to learn.

Paul, that Hayes is impressive. Together with the trailer and the story:)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 8/19/2016 at 6:11 PM, BillyT said:

Knew the loggers used water cooled brakes, but thought they were custom made retrofit. What year is that Hayes and approximately what would it cost?Really cool piece of equipment!!

It's a 1969 or 1970 and has been rebuild a few times, I have no idea what the HDX  cost than but to hazard a guess, probably 65 or 75 grand? It was before Signal bought them and than PAACAR bought them in the mid 1970's and closed them down.

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 5 years later...
On 8/18/2016 at 10:46 PM, 41chevy said:

Hayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07142207-52s.jpgHayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07142207-53s.jpg

Really digging up a thread here but, does anyone know who makes this tire?  I'm looking for the same tread pattern in 1100-22.  I've seen a few L cab log trucks wearing them but can never make out the tire brand.

It was an off road tread design.

And I don't think they were ever available in 11-22.

Tubeless tires are going the way of the dodo bird. A friend is in the process of converting his trucks to tubeless because he can no longer buy 24 inch tires 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

That’s very interesting Not sure if you knew this but I worked in a tire shop way back in 73 did mostly big rigs but almost all of our customers at 10:20 split rims I would only see the bigger ones on up construction equipment my mind is slipping but I would’ve sworn we had a few customers with 1200/24I can’t remember but there wasn’t that many of them even back then. … I’ll tell you what man that’s a rough way to go especially for a skinny little kid I looked like Charles Atlas after a few weeks of swinging that tire hammer

we have a very large tire retailer in the industrial park where we currently are staying until the new compound is built. 

they never had problems ordering 12-24's until about a year ago. in december Steve tried ordering a dozen, and they told him nope, no one is making them any more. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

6 hours ago, tjc transport said:

we have a very large tire retailer in the industrial park where we currently are staying until the new compound is built. 

they never had problems ordering 12-24's until about a year ago. in december Steve tried ordering a dozen, and they told him nope, no one is making them any more. 

I bought 4 new 11R -24 Summitomos last July