Smaller engines generally too...maybe cost was a factor? A 53 (odd number) would have been a diesel however and to my knowledge there was only so many options there, all of which would have been available on the 61 and 81 series trucks...was there a weight difference? Interesting question. Thinking out loud here...Can you elaborate Bigdogtrucker?

Thanks

Now that I think of it White was getting into the mixer market with the non Autocar cab 9000. Maybe the B53 offered a lighter chasis weight to compete with the White

9000. I know Material Service out of Chicago had a bunch of those White 9000's. B models still are in service. White 9000's are Japaneese cars.

• Like 1

The B53 was introduced in 1962 and was promoted as a weight saving concrete mixer chassis. 2625 units were built.

END 673, END 673B, END 673C offered in the B53, difference of a few H.P and Torque.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It was the forerunner of the DM-600.

There was a B-50 made in the 1950's but not for a long time. I think it was a standard model between the B-40 and B-60 series. Possibly it was dropped because of weak sales.

B-50 , 1953 to 1955 , 233 made all left as 'T' tractor chassis' all powered by EN 431A Gas 147h.p. @ 2500 & 350 lbs. torque @ 1400

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

At one time I had 4 of them,all bought new by same company,2 1964's B53S1893 & 1894 and 2 1965's B53S3336(no longer have this one) and 3337,something else alot of B53's had was the rotary fuel pump instead of the traditional inline pump,the fuel tank was different,some were aluminum square step tanks,everyone I've ever seen has power steering.Alot of them also had the TRTX670 overgear trans.

• Like 1

Superdog - just noticed that your little blurb thing says you have 165 Macks. Really?!? That's amazing! Do you have a photo album of them posted somewhere? Would love to see the variety that you have. I've seen a couple other good size collections on the East Coast (Yaworski Bros, Kemps in NH), but having that many must be truck heaven!

• Like 1

Otherdog has a B-53 Mixer maybe he'll shoot some specs to us. Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Superdog - just noticed that your little blurb thing says you have 165 Macks. Really?!? That's amazing! Do you have a photo album of them posted somewhere? Would love to see the variety that you have. I've seen a couple other good size collections on the East Coast (Yaworski Bros, Kemps in NH), but having that many must be truck heaven!

I have some in my gallery and have alot of them in the BMT Registry,,maybe while I'm laid up I'll work on making an album.

• Like 2

most B53s i have seen all had a Rockwell front axle and some even had Timkin rears on 3 leaf walking beams. they were definitely an oddball truck.

Oddball yes,but a good truck. I'm not going to name names,but I had someone that sells alot of old Macks tell me once the only thing B53's were good for was to cut up for for the power steering and sheet metal. That didn't impress me much.

Thanks for the pictures....but what a shame to see these trucks sitting around in this state when if nothing else they could be working daily, or someone that likes B models could be giving them the 'love' they deserve.

I see by the way you worded you comment it could be taken that He STILL uses them...but the pictures would suggest otherwise.A lot of these B models seem to fall into the 'You don't know what you got till it's gone' category.