VOLVO .......... What ....... are they good for

15 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

You ain’t a kidding. Just about everyone of our Coronado 122sd’s gauges quit working, hit a bump and sometimes they work again. Constantly fighting after treatment problems and dummy lights and  derating. I miss my old 379 with the 3406E, it just never seemed to give any problems to us. Put new bearings in the bottom end at 700,000mi and just keep going. 

Our new 122SD needed a whole new gauge module at, I think it was 20,000 KM. But other than that and all the Cummins ISX problems it was a lot less suicide inducing than my 4900 Star. It was built by disgruntled drug addicts I think.

I don’t try to settle arguments on this site because they are too much fun to read, but I think most of what your arguing is generally true.

Volvo did commit murder to Mack, first killed its pride.  

Volvo is a good manufacturer, in a throw away world, or they would naturally dissolve. 

Our Volvo off-road is the lowest cost per hour machines we currently run. Partly because they are primitive. Are you aware they still use color coding in VOE? 100% color coded, candy stripe, wiring in my Volvo’s. It’s like 1970 all over. No ridiculous piles of white wires with microscopic ink numbering, that wipe off, which you can’t read anyway. LOVE IT!!!! XXXOOO-Volvo.

Toyota are phenomenal, William Deming was a genius. 

Old stuff is better in many ways(Class 8 and down). You shouldn’t have to live in fear of running out of warranty like we do now days. I drive all vehicles that have no tire pressure monitors and only one has ABS. I pulled the ABS fuse on my new(er) Dodge so I could actually stop in winter and it wouldn't start. I can’t stand being lead around by the nose, especially by an engineer. 

It’s debateable......but believe modern lubricants applied to the six, seventh and eighth decades of the 20th century may have produced 200K-300K mile cars. 

Nobody would argue......”modern appliances Suck!”

Edited by Mack Technician

3 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Nobody would argue......”modern appliances Suck!”

We bought a $900 Speed Queen top load washer machine this past summer. I told the guy I don't care if its noisy, I don't care if it wasted water.   I just want it to last and get our cloth clean.  He said this is exactly what I want.   It is built good, it does use quite a bit of water, its not real noisy, but the peice of shit doesn't even get fresh mud out of cloth!

Edited by Hobert62

4 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

We bought a $900 Speed Queen top load washer machine this past summer. I told the guy I don't care if its noisy, I don't care if it wasted water.   I just want it to last and get our cloth clean.  He said this is exactly what I want.   It is built good, it does use quite a bit of water, its not real noisy, but the peice of shit doesn't even get fresh mud out of cloth!

Is that similar to “commercial grade”, like you would see at the local laundromat? I’m shopping for what you thought you were getting.........simple, water sucking, low efficiency, semi-effective, repairable unit. 

$1,100 side load Kenmore I have died in 6 years, ECU burn-out. I diagnosed it and installed a new ECU. A code came onto screen that didn’t exist, even on-line. I called the company, lady said “did you install an ECU? That code means the other computers can’t communicate with new hardware, we have to come to your home and reprogram all three so it communicates”. Into the trash it went, sent new ECU home.

What a racket home appliances have become!  I am nursing a couple older models along right now.  Don't like the new and "improved" models out there.

The salesman sure didn't appreciate me laughing uncontrollably when he was trying to promote a fridge with a camera inside for "inventory control"!

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I had old Kenmore washing and dryers handed down from my GRANDPARENTS. Then a couple years back I fell for the sales pitch that if I buy new Enerstar rated ones I would save a fortune on my electric bill.

So bought new ones and they needed repairs before warranty ran and out and on a regular basis after that. And my power bill every month is still the same.

I'm to the point now I don't even repair anything. Haul it to the dump and buy a new one.

My friend who was an appliance repair man quit doing it and drives truck now. He told me...if you break a drawer in your fridge....throw the fridge out and buy a new one because you can't get parts for most of them. Pretty sad.

And I try different brands every time I replace. All the same junk.

2 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Is that similar to “commercial grade”, like you would see at the local laundromat? I’m shopping for what you thought you were getting.........simple, water sucking, low efficiency, semi-effective, repairable unit. 

I supposed to be a home version of the commercial grade machine like at hotels and laundromats.  Built to last 25 years.   After I figured how to keep the lid open I discovered the problem.    The drum and agitator are connected and only spin together so nothing actually washes anything it just sloshes around.   

That being said ours is only a few month old.  I'll sell it to you for 1/2 price

Edited by Hobert62
  • Haha 1

A lot of the problem is they're computerizing stuff that don't need to be, like washing machines. To add insult to injury, the computers don't really improve energy efficiency, they're just a gee-wiz gadget added as a selling point. I've had similar experience with legacy analog appliances- got old appliances included with my current house and they've yet to break down, and got the 20+ year old appliances from my old house in the storeroom for spares. Our electric utility is offering a $50 bounty on pre-Energy Star appliances, but I ain't givin' mine up!

I can only offer this.....while calling a few major outlets for aftermarket parts I asked each parts person the same question "What washers and dryers offer the best parts availability". I talked a few women and one man. The man was clueless as to any differences. The women all said "Whirlpool" without much time to think. One Gal said whirlpool will go back to the 80's.  

6 hours ago, j hancock said:

What a racket home appliances have become!  I am nursing a couple older models along right now.  Don't like the new and "improved" models out there.

The salesman sure didn't appreciate me laughing uncontrollably when he was trying to promote a fridge with a camera inside for "inventory control"!

My wife hates the appliances that I got before she was in the picture and wants nothing more than a new whiz bang refrigerator and front loading washer and dryer. I’m doing my damnedest to hang on to them but it’s hard when the crappy plastic shelves are cracked down drooping and they want $300 to replace them in a 12 year old refrigerator. Luckily on the washer and dryer front my wife has watched all of her friends who jumped right on the front loader bandwagon go through many repair woes on theirs. So for now the commercial grade plain Jane models that we have that have never gave us a problem look pretty good

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:17 AM, Hobert62 said:

I have that same unit.... When the warranty expires do an online search for adjusting the fill level so that it fills to the top. It is fantastic.... As far as other appliances go we have had good luck with our Wolf and Subzero appliances. They are good American made units, but you pay a heavy premium for that.

23 hours ago, ekennedy21 said:

I have that same unit.... When the warranty expires do an online search for adjusting the fill level so that it fills to the top. It is fantastic.... As far as other appliances go we have had good luck with our Wolf and Subzero appliances. They are good American made units, but you pay a heavy premium for that.

Ours Is a 2018 model, it does fill to the top.      My research found out that the 2018 is new compared to older models.   Ours doesn't have a transmission the tub and agitator are hooked together and spin together not in opposite directions to wash anything.  Just sloshes the water around.   

2 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

if you Are REALLY interested  I will explain how it works :)

This is the way I learned.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

they`re not for makin noise they are for clothes washing` in a tub of hot water .set that thing in the tub grab whatever you`re washing and scrub em on the rough side of the board.  the old ones that my mom used were zinc plated tin not glass   back breakin job if you`ve got lots of laundry

Edited by carlotpilot

12 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

they`re not for makin noise they are for clothes washing` in a tub of hot water .set that thing in the tub grab whatever you`re washing and scrub em on the rough side of the board.  the old ones that my mom used were zinc plated tin not glass   back breakin job if you`ve got lots of laundry

Don't forget the cotton sack with the Bluing.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE