Four wheel drive UPS MH's

That is interesting blocking out the high split in 1st thru 4th and leaving the OD split in 5th. Those transmissions have some pretty close gear steps in the first three anyway so running light like UPS does I doubt youd need to split em all anyway. I guess those are all dead and gone and recycled into hyundais by now, sure would be a great find though.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Kscarbel. I had a 1979 R686 tri-axle dump with the Dynamax Clutch.I still have some of the parts behind shed. Pretty smooth operation no pedal effort. Joe D.

UPS never minded paying for a product that saved them money, And Mack Truck's patented Dynamax wet clutch (designated CL-72 and CL-721) did.

The Dynamax clutch was an option available to all customers but it actually came to be because UPS demanded it, initially in the F-model from 1970 and later in the MH (in those days, when UPS spoke, Mack listened).

It was produced for Mack Trucks by Rockford Clutch Corp., and they lasted nearly forever.

Clutch engagement took some getting used to but I wish more customers had tried it. The long life more than offset the added purchase cost. Mack basically worked with Rockford to very successfully adapt their wet clutch technology for off-highway construction machinery to the heavy truck application.

The new Voith VIAB is a combination wet clutch and retarder. The clutch will, like Mack's Dynamax, last almost forever.

VIAB allows for wear-free starting AND braking. Watch your bottom line grow, and your accountant smile.

http://www.voith.com/en/products-services/power-transmission/turbo-retarder-clutch-viab-12877.html

• Like 2

Mark

In the early 70's CF had some of those Freightliner 4X4's running between Buffalo and Boston pulling twin 28 ft pups on the NY Thruway and Mass Pike back when the NYT regulations said that doubles had to have 2 driving axles.. UPS and everybody else was pulling 2 40 or 45 footers with twin screw tractors.

• Like 2

Brocky

Brocky,do you remember that weird set-up CF had here on the east coast? if I remember correctly it was a long wheelbase single axle tractor with a pup attached to the frame,pulling a pup behind it more like a TRUCK and trailer,but not really! It had something to do with the length laws and doubles were not yet allowed this far east. I seen a few of them on the Jersey Turnpike when I was younger..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I found a few pictures and explanation of what I was talking about,but it's "you know where" and God-forbid I don't want to piss the Hanks off and start that shit-storm again ! They are calling it a "Pennsylvania Double" if anyone wants to venture over there and check it out!...........................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Started out as kind of a long wheelbase single axle Freightshaker daycab with a fifth wheel that slid all the way forward until the lead wagon damned near touched the back of the cab.Can't remember how they actually "fastened" the now straight trucks body(trailer) to the frame,though? Maybe Velcro? It was just being introduced about that time! LOL! Anyway it ended up with a spread tandem on the now "truck". I know I have that issue here somewhere?? HMMMMMMMM????? Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA