Longest lasting battery? Brand and length

I have a John deere 4720 that was purchased in 04 That still has It's original John deere battery, it isn't used but in the summer and seems to be ready each spring, with no special treatment. I have bought a few batteries from Tractor Supply that lasted only 14 months for another JD I have. I've bought several Optima Batteries and have been very pleased with them, the only problems I have had, are one that was charged for five days, "I didn't know the timer was broken on my charger", ruined, but it was 8 years old. and a red top Optima that was drained many times dead from a bad alternator. I was curious what length of time other's have had ? What battery they recommend? I use to be a Delco fan, till I had several bust or crack around the post spilling acid everywhere. Thanks Kevin

I bought a new 1996 Ford F-150 in January of 1996 and the Motorcraft battery that came in it is still in use! That's 17 years of service! I put the battery in a 1970 International Scout with snowplow and sold it a couple of months ago. Aside from that, I have been pleased with Interstate batteries.

I use JD batteries in my JD tractors, Bulldog brand (not Mack) currently in the MH, and Delco in my GM vehicles. I still have the OE battery in my Grand Cherokee, not sure what brand to use for replacement. I keep battery maintainers on all my "seasonal use" vehicles, that seems to help them last longer. I don't want to jinx myself but the batteries in one tractor are OLD. I think Exide makes JD batteries and East Penn (Deka) makes Mack. When I buy a battery, I look at CCA, price, warranty, and US made.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

All my old trucks have Exide I was getting about 3 to 4 years out of a set.About 15 yeras ago I bought battery tenders [ thats the brand name ] I replaced 12 batteries in 1999 and they are sitll like new.I pay about $42,00 for the battery tenders but I am way ahead with the price of new batteries.Also alot of guys told me I would need a tender for each battery,I use one tender for all the batterys and have no problem.My Superliner with the V-8 has 4 batteries and one tender no problem.In the past I have used different trickle chargers no luck untill I went with the battery tender brand.I get the on line at T P Tools they seem to be the best price I have found.O'rilleys sells them but they get $69.00 each I bought some last year from TP if you by 3 or more you get a better price and I paid about $42.00 each for them.

All my old trucks have Exide I was getting about 3 to 4 years out of a set.About 15 yeras ago I bought battery tenders [ thats the brand name ] I replaced 12 batteries in 1999 and they are sitll like new.I pay about $42,00 for the battery tenders but I am way ahead with the price of new batteries.Also alot of guys told me I would need a tender for each battery,I use one tender for all the batterys and have no problem.My Superliner with the V-8 has 4 batteries and one tender no problem.In the past I have used different trickle chargers no luck untill I went with the battery tender brand.I get the on line at T P Tools they seem to be the best price I have found.O'rilleys sells them but they get $69.00 each I bought some last year from TP if you by 3 or more you get a better price and I paid about $42.00 each for them.

I use Sears Diehard battery maintainers. I only had 1 or 2 Sears go bad in 20+ years. You can buy them on sale for $20. Cheaper than replacing batteries.

Amazon usually has good prices on Battery Tender brands.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Plenty of good advice here but I like what farmer52 said. I just purchased a new Deka for my New Holland tractor so dont yet know how it will hold up. I purchased it at a local farm store. When shopping for anything I always look for the made in USA on it, the Deka is proudly marked. if anything you buy is not marked USA you can bet that it is not. Good idea to keep our American made Macks pure?

The DieHard battery in my '92 Ranger is the same one that was in it when I bought it in August '06. The battery that was in my F250 died & I needed a new one on my way out of town for a buddy's wedding....Bumper to Bumper was open....they sell Exide batteries. The first one lasted 6 months. The second, I got 8 months out of it. The third one was another 6 months. I decided that although Bumper to Bumper would give me another free battery in exchange, I'd rather spend the money on a DieHard at Sears. 3 years later, it is still going strong. In the Mack, the batteries that were in it when I bought it died. I found the best price and ended up with Continental brand batteries. Less than a year and one had a catastrophic failure....sounded like a shotgun going off. Luckily, I was able to disconnect the blown up battery and run the rest of the day on just 2. Mack delivered some Bulldog brand batteries to the house for me and I put 'em in when I got home. 14 months later, they started quitting. When the first one died, I disconnected it and ordered some DieHard batteries from Sears. 2 weeks later, the other two died...and Sears STILL didn't have my new batteries in....so I cancelled the order and got 3 more batteries from a different Mack dealer. These are Exides. Not happy about it, but I needed them and couldn't keep waiting on Sears to come through. Sure, DieHard batteries are not going to be the cheapest you'll find....but they seem to keep working for a while.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

motorcraft batteries are great. caterpillar batteries last 7-8 years in our equipment. best battery we know .

Have to agree on Caterpillar, I use my heavy equipment rarely and my D7E has been as long as 2 years without stating and fire right up, but after 7 years, i know too buy new ones as its 24 volts and both have to be in great shape to start.

bought some that have a teal tah on the top they are named HiTech's. got them from my local Mack dealer when i started driivng my B61 4 years ago. they are the hottest battery i think i ever seen. never looks at the crankin amps but i put one in a B42 and it spun the little flathead over faster than anything i have ever seen lol

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Never noticed much difference between the brands, but assuming the charging system is operating properly, what usually does in a battery prematurely is the lack of a tie down to keep it from bouncing around.

I use Battery Minder brand maintainers and they seem to work very well to keep the tractors, dump trailer, and fire trucks charged.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

A little trick to extend the life of the battery is putting a piece of rubber under the battery and have a good hold down. I usually use an old piece of heavy conveyor belt of double up an old mud flap. It helps take the shock going down the road. It also does not let the flaking of the lead on the plates inside the battery fall to the bottom and cause it to short inside.