Stock or not???  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your vintage Macks?

• FACTORY STOCK
    • MODERN UPGRADES THROUGHOUT

I agree if mods are done in good taste I'm all for it.I have been working on my R model at a friends shop who has a couple of Petes.It's funny the non old truck owners think the more chrome the better I have kept it tasteful in my opinion with minimal extra lights only 4 extra per side under the bunk and a factory MACK chrome bumper.I have said before you can ruin the look if you go overboard.

stock is preferred. few upgrades like SEATBELTS are nice, makes me feel a little more cozy with that big HARD 22 inch sheering wheel not going thru my gut. tasteful upgrades are nice, radial tires and the such. dont need 500 chicken lights or a bunch of chrome on my truck. also like the old school period correct painted on graphics.

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I prefer the period correct finish and detail, any upgrade that is done so long as its from the era a truck was on the road makes it for me. I have seen old truck made up to the comforts of today and they look great but not what i am looking for. For example my truck here has a bumper off a 68 DM on it period correct but thats about it.

post-13513-0-16343800-1359771722_thumb.j

• Like 2

I like the period correct improvements,but I am not opposed to preserving a restoration with say an air ride suspension set up,but keeping the original look.......my 2 cents!

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

But you still have to admit that Andy Zary's B-61 is one of the sharpest trucks at any truck show.

And a tribute to a man that was able to drive one old B for 2.5 million miles.I can't even remember who many B's I've owned . But of one thing I'm certain that none had 2.5million+ miles on them. My father in- law drove a B Model when they were new and he never appreciated anything much more than he did when I put an ENDT673C and air power steering in his B-61.

But you still have to admit that Andy Zary's B-61 is one of the sharpest trucks at any truck show.

And a tribute to a man that was able to drive one old B for 2.5 million miles.I can't even remember who many B's I've owned . But of one thing I'm certain that none had 2.5million+ miles on them. My father in- law drove a B Model when they were new and he never appreciated anything much more than he did when I put an ENDT673C and air power steering in his B-61.

It is a beauty.Seen it at Walcott a few years back.Liked the Mercury bunk and the look from it's OVERDRIVE cover & spread in June of '76, better though.Hey,after 2.5 million miles in a B model,he can do what ever he wants to it! I bet your father-in-law felt like he was in "high cotton" with 250hp & power steering! :bulldog3:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I've never really been one to worry about what a truck LOOKS like, as long as it does the job its there to do. If it is a "classic" truck that only goes to truck shows, cruise nights, and parades, then it should remain period-correct. However, if you're working the truck, any improvements that can be made to the functionality of the truck are fine in my book.....more power under the hood, stronger transmission capable of handling the bigger powerplant, and stouter axles, suspension, and brake upgrades....after all, a working truck ain't gonna stay a working truck very long if it can't keep doing the job.

Personally, I'd love to stuff an E9 into an old B-model....of course there would probably have to be some sheet metal modifications to make it fit under the hood. Add air ride to the cab, bolt a T31821 behind the E9, and an Airlink suspension from Raydan...

...OK, back to reality.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I guess I have covered up my old original character that my B model had, but when I bought it 5 years ago, it's exterior had been repainted by it's former owner. I'm sinking money into what is mine for now and know that i'll never get the money back. I'm not concerned if another truck owner likes it or not. I'm the one that will have to live with what I do to it. As long as I can be satisfyed, that is all that matters to me. When i'm done with playing Vintage Truck Driver with it, then i'll sell it and let the other guy do as he likes with it. And I won't allow it to interrupt my sleep any. I like the period correct, vintage, original trucks, but also like for others to strut their stuff as to what they like to add to their trucks. I voted for bone stock original vintage trucks. And am glad there is an all custom class of trucks also, but would not want to compete with them in any show, and should not have to. Just be glad Obama has not confiscated all of them and sent them to the scrap yards for metal yet.

mike

• Like 1

Interesting thread. After my vote of “modern upgrades” and seeing I am in a drastic minority I feel like I should explain my personal thoughts. I respect and appreciate the comments above and agree with most, especially “it depends on the truck” and “if you are working the truck”. I personally really like the look of the B model and would love to find one and fix it up with a more of a resto-mod inspiration. To me, that doesn't mean adding chrome and lights. It means that if I like the look and would want to keep the “look” but I would like to have it with a re-powered modern engine and transmission, air ride, AC, dynamat, power steering and other modern features. I plan on using the truck (privately, not commercially) so I need power/performance also meaning it must go faster than the standard 65mph of a period correct stock truck.

I very much respect the folks restoring these vehicles so I will be careful not to choose a rare or low production option to modify IE: firetruck or sleeper. I am very aware you can never take them back to the original!

Just my thoughts,

Drew

AC? I removed the AC from my "modern" truck....no way in hell I'd add it to a classic. My power steering gearbox has had the seals replaced several times and it STILL leaks. If I could find a manual steering gearbox that would bolt on easy enough for a reasonable price, I'd ditch that too.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Plan for the Superliner...clean, polished working truck look...a few tastefull clearance light additions...maybe LED light replacements...something a proud owner would do to his working truck...for the B...I am thinking as close as I could get it to be period correct...just my opinion...like to see most mods others do...everybody has an opinion!

I've always been a fan of the hand-crafted personalizations an individual might make for themselves to make the truck work better for them, too....stuff that was never mass produced and might even be a little rough around the edges....as long as it does what it was intended to do.

Stock , I like some little updates but not too much , anyway when you own and drive a vintage Mack you do not need all those gizmo's around you ara noticed on the spot , people know that you are a "Connaisseur" .

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale