CB Radio Range

JakeCheez

Hey I've got a cobra 29 lcd with a 1000 watt antenna. My range is about 30 feet. I don't understand, cause all the other trucks in our site can talk for miles. I have called cobra and I got it tuned in right, it just doesn't put out at good range.

Someone told me it's cause I drive a Mack and I need to ground out the antenna wire.............

Any ideas?

Is the cable in good shape?

Not real sure, but maybe a good ground from the antenna to chassis might help. You would think that the shield in the cable would ground it back to the radio and would work fine?

What brand antenna? could be faulty? Tried a SWR meter on it?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

i havnt tried a SWR meter on it (not sure what that is). The antenna is mounted on the mirror and the cable is brand new, It runs straight from my antenna to the radio with no wear, tears or bends. not sure the brand......... My doors are steel, but some guy says they are rubber mounted on macks, so thats why I need to ground it at the back of the radio.......Seems weird to me.

I thought all CH models had a Maxiglass cab and doors? I have a ground wire on the ch I drive with the hardware mounted on a bar on the back of the cab that holds up the spring that holds the hoses out of the way. The Macks @ UPS have the best cb reception over the other brands. Make a ground wire. Also check for a ground strap that may be broken on your truck.

Is the mike gain turned all the way up? Mike gain is how loud u are.  Is it a cobra 29 ltd? It should have a built in swr meter if so.  Did u put the antenna mount together right? The plastic piece goes on top the aluminum mount,( common mistake) if this is not right the radio will not function right at all.  There is many things it can be.....

The antenna is a firestick and it is mounted through a hole in my mirror cross bar. the cable connects directly to the antenna.

I know the doors are steel, because I have magnets on them.

The radio is a 29lx with the swr switch on it. I can be heard by other radios, I just don't recieve anything........

and I was told that multiple antennas look cool, but don't do anything. Not sure if there is any truth to that-

2 antinnas will be more domanet but in a smaller area,where a single one will get out farther but not as strong...

to origanal post...make sure plastic washer is between airal an braket,..an run a 16 gage ground wire from braket to radio an from radio to fram,..ch cab is mounted on rubber bushing for cab suspision an air bags...if this dont fix you up,..then take your radio to good cb shop an get it tuned,some times the inturnal adjustments are off from factory...

The antenna is a firestick and it is mounted through a hole in my mirror cross bar. the cable connects directly to the antenna.

I know the doors are steel, because I have magnets on them.

The radio is a 29lx with the swr switch on it. I can be heard by other radios, I just don't recieve anything........

what about the rf gain? is that turned all the way clockwise?..if it's getting out but you can't hear- sometimes you overlook the simple things.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

2 antinnas will be more domanet but in a smaller area,where a single one will get out farther but not as strong...

to origanal post...make sure plastic washer is between airal an braket,..an run a 16 gage ground wire from braket to radio an from radio to fram,..ch cab is mounted on rubber bushing for cab suspision an air bags...if this dont fix you up,..then take your radio to good cb shop an get it tuned,some times the inturnal adjustments are off from factory...

Could be something wrong with the mic,does the needle move all the way to the right when you talk,I have no ground wires on my radio or antenna in my cl and the doors are not steel,radio works good but might work better if I ground it,have to try it...

Don't bother with a dual antenna system. They are only effective if spaced about 9 feet apart and create a directional radiation pattern that favors fore-aft reception. They also need to have a specific coax cable length to keep the impedences matched.

Just buy a quality 1/4 wave whip antenna.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Oops-

I meant to say this is what I'll be doing today (if I don't freeze first @ -30).

The gain is all the way to the right, but the dyna mic is only halfway. Not sure what that is......

the dynamike is just another name for mic. gain, the rf gain will let you hear more when turned all the way to the right, even static. you just have to set that and the squelch knob where you like it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.