Old Mack trucks in iran (please help to find model)

hello to all.

i am saeid, from iran. there are some mack trucks in iran(known as War mack) like NR and EXBX . You can see b85 badge on them. But at that time Mack b85 was not produced in America!!

I did a lot of searching and could not find its model.. I heard from a driver that their model is "LM2DM," but I'm not sure it is correct.

We know that during World War II american trucks used iran roads to transfer cargo to russia.
But I do not know that these macks are same trucks or re-entered.

Please help me to find model.

thanks.

2012-07-02-821-1024x576.thumb.jpg.378b20

jangi2.thumb.jpg.f18dae4f23db63932f93902

4311784799_57258cef95_b.thumb.jpg.54c085

32302013-09-10-12.jpg.5ca682a7caaad5c593

IMG-20150808-WA0118.jpg.1bb7de164a7f6279

fp1s_photo1001-600x450.jpg.f9110a788c53f

56dc84d1264da_IranianMack001.jpg.e4cf5f1

HM-201361448232366931400921907.6168.jpg.

up317661390601156_image69.thumb.jpg.f628

56dc8e688ffe7_mackjangi.thumb.jpg.a6b09d

IMG00349-20140315-1356.thumb.jpg.c546081

jangi1.thumb.jpg.fa8004207db432897bd327f

B57UlKUjp.1.jpg.d20d34597e657aeab4e97c6d

Edited by Saeid kholdi
adding some photo

Welcome to the group. They look like parts from all three models with later model fuel tanks and such.  Look like Iran built cabs. Could they have been rebuild by the MACK Trucks Iranian Factory branch  "Iran-Kaveh" before 1979?   Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On ۱۳۹۴/۱۲/۱۶ ه‍.ش. at 1:00 AM, 41chevy said:

Welcome to the group. They look like parts from all three models with later model fuel tanks and such.  Look like Iran built cabs. Could they have been rebuild by the MACK Trucks Iranian Factory branch  "Iran-Kaveh" before 1979?   Paul

thanx my friend.

It really so astonishing that we see lots of this Mack models in iran, but no documents and resource is available about these.

some owners may upgrade their truck parts to newer models. such as gearbox, engine, differential, and fuel tanks.

but cabin and chassis doesn't change .

for example, this is a 1950 mack with original color:

thumb-1316849733023-dsc_0795.jpg.4eb298e

On ۱۳۹۴/۱۲/۱۶ ه‍.ش. at 11:07 PM, thomastractorsvc said:

Those are some neat old trucks.  I do not know if those were military exports or some other export trucks but they sure are in good shape and neat to see they are still in use.  I like the looks of first green one with the add on sleeper. 

yes iranian people love mack trucks. because of this truck's service to the roads , our older drivers known it "Golden engine" !

in some cities such as Tabriz you will see a lot of this model mack near modern Mercedes benz actors or volvo fh12 !

tabriz_28.jpg.05857f2016481c870e4b30c9e4

Edited by Saeid kholdi
  • Like 2

The EXBX were mainly British and Commonwealth trucks 260 built in 1940 only

The NR 16548 built from 1940 to 1945

The LM 2391 built from 1940 to 1956

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Welcome

Thanks for the additional pictures.  I really like to see old trucks working.  Here in the US some upgrade truck components and suspension but most find it cost prohibitive to keep working trucks that old.  Also the safety laws make an old truck that works a "Police Magnet"  I bought a 1968 F model from a guy for that reason.  He used it on the Farm and although it was safe it looked to old and the truck cops always pulled him over so after getting stopped a few times in one one week he decided to stop running it.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

these are some great photos of older Mack trucks  hot rodded and still working 

Oh yeah and welcome to the dog house

here is some videos from you tube I came across a while ago I dunno if others have already seen these so forgive me if you have 

Paul

• Like 1

On ۱۳۹۴/۱۲/۱۸ ه‍.ش. at 7:18 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

these are some great photos of older Mack trucks  hot rodded and still working 

Oh yeah and welcome to the dog house

here is some videos from you tube I came across a while ago I dunno if others have already seen these so forgive me if you have 

Paul

hi paul and thanx for your videos. yes these are really like a 32 hot rod ! lol. just a choptop need (joke :)) )

-------------------------------------------------------------------

finally i think these old macks produced custom for iran, because of : uniqe roof, door style, glass, and engine hood that we dont see in other models !

According to Mack owner maybe "LM2DM" is correct.

so what the means of LM2DM ?

an old iranian proverb says The smoke rises from the stump :

IMG-20150211-WA0012.thumb.jpg.1734fcacd2

IMG-20150522-WA0107.thumb.jpg.b74c928f88

IMG-20150627-WA0196.jpg.13c9276ba513e4a5

Edited by Saeid kholdi
  • Like 2

Hi and welcome to the site!

Thank you for posting so many good quality pictures of these trucks. I keep my eye on them for a while but still have no serious info about. Was hoping I could get it from some native Iranian person who are difficult to meet in my neighbourhood. And now I'm too surprized you aren't lucky on learning that either.

As far as I've figured out those Macks are unicue, have their own special design. I can tell for sure they were basicaly built as WW2 military NR model. NR's were assembled in Iran and than drove to Russia together with other American trucks loaded with military supply materials to fight Germans.

But the style and the number of the produced NR's are good known facts. And as far as I know the plant wich provided their assembly (from PKD - partly knocked down form) was taken apart and also shipped to Russia in early 1945.

So those Iranian trucks were produced after the war and seem to me as another story than WW2 NR's. Too probably there was some contract of some Iranian company or the goernment and Mack trucks to build a factory. Too probably some components could be supplied from the States and some produced locally. 

The most interesting to me fact about those Macks is that they utilized many parts of the style exactly the same as military NR-model had, not of the commercial Macks wich were produced those days. The front fenders, front axle beam, 24 inch hubs and tall tyres all look the same as on a NR. The cab is too interesting thing. It sure was produced locally and had it's own original design. But it doesn't look similar top any of Mack commercial cabs. Instead of that it too looks like was made as a conversion of WW2 military style open cab wich was utilized on NR model Macks.

Although the relations to NR-model can not be seen along all the truck. Front grill, hood sides style look and some other parts copied (or were used off) a L-model Mack with a special "hard nose" desing as folks on here call it. Interesting that NR-model used the "soft nose".

You said the hood script is B85. It seems to me those trucks were built the same years as B-model and some of them could be built using B85 components (power plant) but had their own old style sheet metal. Too interesting point some driver told about LM2DM. The fact it that a NR-model frame is about similar to the frames used in L-models. Worth to tell a NR actually was a militarized version of the commercial L-series Mack. And the most correct way to determine the chassis is to track down its serial number. All factory NR's had it starting from NR4D. If the driver meant LM2D(M) was his truck's model it too might mean his truck had that marking on the frame rail. And both on the tag in the cab if there was any. L means L-model, LM - heavy series of a L, 2D - two drive axles. I currently have no idea what the additional "M" meant but it could easily be some speciality to that frame or the truck.

That's all of my thoughts on the matter. Would be too like to learn more from Iranian truck lover. The chassis number markings and some repair manuals or parts lists are a potential way to go.

Vlad

P.S. Some pics of NR-model and the last one is trucks on the Iranian corridor transporting goodies to Russia.

Iranian Corridor_06.jpg

lucas0003_resize.jpg

lucas0002_resize.jpg

Vnukovo.04.2013.00406_resize.JPG

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On ۱۳۹۴/۱۲/۱۸ ه‍.ش. at 7:21 PM, Vladislav said:

Hi and welcome to the site!

Thank you for posting so many good quality pictures of these trucks. I keep my eye on them for a while but still have no serious info about. Was hoping I could get it from some native Iranian person who are difficult to meet in my neighbourhood. And now I'm too surprized you aren't lucky on learning that either.

As far as I've figured out those Macks are unicue, have their own special design. I can tell for sure they were basicaly built as WW2 military NR model. NR's were assembled in Iran and than drove to Russia together with other American trucks loaded with military supply materials to fight Germans.

But the style and the number of the produced NR's are good known facts. And as far as I know the plant wich provided their assembly (from PKD - partly knocked down form) was taken apart and also shipped to Russia in early 1945.

So those Iranian trucks were produced after the war and seem to me as another story than WW2 NR's. Too probably there was some contract of some Iranian company or the goernment and Mack trucks to build a factory. Too probably some components could be supplied from the States and some produced locally. 

The most interesting to me fact about those Macks is that they utilized many parts of the style exactly the same as military NR-model had, not of the commercial Macks wich were produced those days. The front fenders, front axle beam, 24 inch hubs and tall tyres all look the same as on a NR. The cab is too interesting thing. It sure was produced locally and had it's own original design. But it doesn't look similar top any of Mack commercial cabs. Instead of that it too looks like was made as a conversion of WW2 military style open cab wich was utilized on NR model Macks.

Although the relations to NR-model can not be seen along all the truck. Front grill, hood sides style look and some other parts copied (or were used off) a L-model Mack with a special "hard nose" desing as folks on here call it. Interesting that NR-model used the "soft nose".

You said the hood script is B85. It seems to me those trucks were built the same years as B-model and some of them could be built using B85 components (power plant) but had their own old style sheet metal. Too interesting point some driver told about LM2DM. The fact it that a NR-model frame is about similar to the frames used in L-models. Worth to tell a NR actually was a militarized version of the commercial L-series Mack. And the most correct way to determine the chassis is to track down its serial number. All factory NR's had it starting from NR4D. If the driver meant LM2D(M) was his truck's model it too might mean his truck had that marking on the frame rail. And both on the tag in the cab if there was any. L means L-model, LM - heavy series of a L, 2D - two drive axles. I currently have no idea what the additional "M" meant but it could easily be some speciality to that frame or the truck.

That's all of my thoughts on the matter. Would be too like to learn more from Iranian truck lover. The chassis number markings and some repair manuals or parts lists are a potential way to go.

Vlad

Thank you dear friend for full answer and useful comments.
I think that you've solved some problems. your talk about B85 , PKD, and others are so near to truth.
I've already had some such thought in my mind but I did not dare to say it. But i am so glad to hear these from you.

First of all I have a question. do you know NR Mack returned to America or stay in Iran?

By displaying these photos we can get new results !

an old 40' mack (with original hood and gril) that we have not seen these models recent years ! so why not today??

12645.jpg.75d8a2f8edb1fa7a811494d0572183

another old photo that shows a old mack with a different hood side with NR and Iranian Mack:

1551.jpg.8a54469564571728d2f76de8a5b7766

56df0bd02c375_1(2).jpg.a081a3c3979d12463

it is amazing !

56df08d11ac0a_--.jpg.2b8ade830e531d77589

today, and a mack interior in iran ! green, like a NR interior.. and dashbord's bulge look like B model :

58g_photo0999-600x450.jpg.af5b640da60e39

another and different :

thumb-1316849739381-dsc_0797.jpg.5a6a03720150730_102214.thumb.jpg.2fa78dcde9219c

an old pictures from 1942 :

star! it seems L Mack was a military truck too!

2.jpg.3f251283b8fb7fce7c1db712df3f3f1a.j

star! perhaps it is military too. but it seems roof is unusual and painted in other color ! perhaps it was a NR and roof was welded !

4.jpg.4c148717169cdc9e357b104c2d826165.j

nice! but in old photos from 1940' and pehaps 50' those unknown cabin are fewer !

one hypothesis :

according to your talk and my though, and mack's corage in iran's roads, i think after ww2 in iran small workshop created for convert NR cabin to public cabin for cilivian and people use. also simpleness body, roof, window, columns, and hood side are a proof for small workshop entity for cabin conversation.

on the other side, commercial american mack imported to iran (PKD) and workshop made simply cabin for their.
so after ww2 cabin of all models quietly converted to IranianMade cabin ! and we didnt see a NR cabin today !
but it is just a hypothesis !

here is some photos that shows a few old macks stayed more original than others :
Look at fenders, light's stand, and hood side!

P1090264.thumb.jpg.a7cf4874d58bd6d6f5f15

and this hood side :
2012-07-02-821-1024x576.thumb.jpg.f21b6d

in dashboard photos one of those have a different dashboard's door, like a B model ! also hood side look like B model !
so i think it is possible that these cabin had a relation to B models !

i think our though is very near to truth ! i wish to find the real truth...
Edited by Saeid kholdi

Those old black and white photos are pretty interesting and amazing!

Actually here in Russia info on trucks wich were supplied under Lend-Lease during WW2 is far from to be called "clear". I try for a long while and still have no answer on how military Macks came to the country. There were many ways for Lend-Lease supplies including Polar conwoys, Iranian corridor and Far East way through the port of Vladivostok. As far as I know many trucks (including Macks) came as a PKD form. But if any were driven from Iran they should be complete running units. And maybe some were used in different areas before. No official data in open sources on the number of NR's supplied to Russia during the war either. 

Looking the old pictures you posted I can tell for sure some of the trucks were original military NR's and some were not. Original military style open cab was not a thing people had a need to build a copy of. So I suppose all the trucks with flat rectangular two-piece windscreen were original military ones. Including the first shot, the truck at the right from the L-model and the one with the broken axle. The last one has also original left side fuel tank. But there was nothing of hood emblems or shutters on the military Macks and it means they were added later. And I'm sure those parts came from no other place but America. It seems to me there was some deal on Macks imported from the US to Iran wich had no relation with supplies to Russia. And L-models together with later production examples came to Iran along that entertainment. You know the factory "Iran-Kaveh" produced R-models for some time (with local-built cabs again!). Too probably the trucks we are talking about were early products of that facility. It's my idea (again) and I (again!!) would be too likely to learn more facts about.

Interesting point - Mack with the wrecker body (or crane) has front wheel drive hubs. And those hubs look pretty much the same as the ones wich were used together with Timken-Detroit front drive axle on military Macks model NM. 

• Like 1

As for the cabs a military open one wasn't quite comfortable and warm for everyday driving so home made roofs were added in many cases. Many cabs were just swapped with different full-metal ones from other trucks. Sometimes you could see a "top level" rebuild done with imported from the US factory L-model cab. It fits "right in" because the early versions of NR's were equipped with them originally.

Talking about the cabs on the later series trucks, not the ones wich were Lend-Lease supplies, there was a quite common practice to import just a chassis with a cowl to save costs and use local-built cabs. That was pretty common in Europe, generally in Holland and France. That's the reason many of old European Macks look so strange.

The first two pics - NR's in Russia, the third - factory closed cab NR, the next ones - different cab swaps.

Moscow 50s.jpg

Moscow 60s.jpg

macknr6.jpg

IMG_9565-border.jpg

060311MackNR14ziemail-border.jpg

416338mackNR14fgcordier.jpg

47278-nr-mack.jpg

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

British,  Australian both ran early early NR and BX MACKs that both had the same heavy duty radiator and shutters. Common Wealth spares?

NR 1940.jpg

mack bx.jpg

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE