1999 Mack Mid-Liner MS200P

Mike5999

Hello. I have a 1999 Mack Mid-Liner MS200P with 450,000 miles on it and it smokes like hell. It overheated once and thats when it started to smoke. The engine service like IS ON. Can if be glowplugs. I have to leave ignition on for a couple of mins or itll kill the batter cranking or need starter fluid. Thanks. Please help

The starting aid or glow plug system on the CS/MS trucks from the late 90's if I remember correctly have an injector and a heater element in the forward side of the intake manifold. It was one of the most useless starting aids I have ever come across. Look into disconnecting it if you get a chance if your problem is only on start up. The Midliner "ACE" (advanced combustion engines) had some silly stuff on them as Renaults first shot in North America at putting a computer on a mechanical RVI engine. Those engines don't have a glow plug in every cylinder like most medium duty Diesel engines of the 90's did. Sounds like a head gasket which we had a couple fail at around those miles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply. i will check that next time i flip the cab. what does the starting aid look like?

Follow the intake manifold on the driver side of the motor all the way to the front of the manifold (where the Manifold meets the hose that comes from the charge air cooler) The starting aid will have a clear plastic fuel line attached to what looks like an injector. right beside it will be a glow plug looking unit with an electrical connection on an eyelet connector. if your issue is only start up related as I do recall that series smoking bad on start up due to this starting aid. Its a fuel injector that injects fuel into the intake at the front of the manifold and its heated in the manifold by the glow plug (stuuuupid system) With that many miles you could have more wrong.

Good luck.

Follow the intake manifold on the driver side of the motor all the way to the front of the manifold (where the Manifold meets the hose that comes from the charge air cooler) The starting aid will have a clear plastic fuel line attached to what looks like an injector. right beside it will be a glow plug looking unit with an electrical connection on an eyelet connector. if your issue is only start up related as I do recall that series smoking bad on start up due to this starting aid. Its a fuel injector that injects fuel into the intake at the front of the manifold and its heated in the manifold by the glow plug (stuuuupid system) With that many miles you could have more wrong.

Good luck.

i am having trouble finding this. is it on top the middle of the engine i see there are a couple of connectors with a hose right there. is that it ? also can this cause the truck not to start up without starter fluid or battery jump?

You may want to have Your midliner scaned for codes. If your check engine light is on, it was very common to have your timing event sensor fail. The sensor is located on the injection pump drive gear in the top of the timing cover infront of the driverside mounted injection pump if I remember correctly. Check out your codes first and work backwards from there. I believe that engine worked on V-Mac I or II supported pro-link readers. That series of motor is ACE which has a computer for certain sensors.

• Like 1

You may want to have Your midliner scaned for codes. If your check engine light is on, it was very common to have your timing event sensor fail. The sensor is located on the injection pump drive gear in the top of the timing cover infront of the driverside mounted injection pump if I remember correctly. Check out your codes first and work backwards from there. I believe that engine worked on V-Mac I or II supported pro-link readers. That series of motor is ACE which has a computer for certain sensors.

ya ill get it checked for codes. the only problem is that the truck is sitting down and is not registered to the state. i have to try to get a mechanic out to check it. also dose anyone know the heating source of diesel in this truck. glowplug or intake heater or none. thanks

ya ill get it checked for codes. the only problem is that the truck is sitting down and is not registered to the state. i have to try to get a mechanic out to check it. also dose anyone know the heating source of diesel in this truck. glowplug or intake heater or none. thanks

Ok.....I made a Boo Boo. The starting aides were no longer installed with introduction of the Midliner RVI "ACE" engines.

The ACE series engines we had at the fleet I worked at had no starting aides. RVI engines in Midliners never had in cylinder or precombustion chamber glow plugs. The 1992 and up to 1996 Midliners used that glow plug in the intake setup.

Get the codes checked first, go from there.

• Like 1

Ok.....I made a Boo Boo. The starting aides were no longer installed with introduction of the Midliner RVI "ACE" engines.

The ACE series engines we had at the fleet I worked at had no starting aides. RVI engines in Midliners never had in cylinder or precombustion chamber glow plugs. The 1992 and up to 1996 Midliners used that glow plug in the intake setup.

Get the codes checked first, go from there.

its ok we all make mistakes. thanks alot for the help tho.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...