So 'Mater blew a piston....

711 pistons and rings maybe a little hard to find, they are a little bigger than a 673 engine, a running 711 or even a running 237 is a gamble on how long it will run, there are a ton of B models out there repowerd with the 237. 237 parts will be more common. I guess it all boils down if you want it original.    terry

• Like 1

That sucks.  It is a tough call.  You will have a lot of money into rebuilding it. Might be cheaper and more reliable to put something newer in it.  

$800 is a lot for those pistons but  I paid $1000 for 6 pistons for an EN540. They are for my father's B66 that I wanted to keep gas powered.  

Mike.  

• Like 1

Up grade to the later power and Mater will be good to go for a ton of years  more.   Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Time to find a 237.  Believe me you won't regret that change!!  I grin from ear to ear when I get behind the wheel of my truck now knowing it has some balls to it.

Have these guys upgrade your stock clutch material: http://dwclutch.com/     I had $300 in getting mine rebuilt last winter when I put my 237 in.  I will say it is a bit chattery at times but very drive-able.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I drove a DM dump for about 10 years with a 237 and a quad, had no problems, but I was the only driver, just don't lug it like a 5 or 6 speed, keep the rpm's up you will be fine, also don't be shy about using lo-lo in the quad.    terry

I was terrified about my triplex, but I have found that it does fine overall.  Yes, I still drive it like a Thermodyne, keep it above 1500 rpm and nothing sounds like it is complaining. 

Some have said that a 237 won't pull higher RPM(up to 2100)very well, but mine is awesome.  No complaints at all.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I doubt if turning a Maxidine 2100 will hurt it.. The ones I drove for Matlack in the early 70's turned 2100 at 65 MPH and we ran them that way on the NYS Thruway and I-81.. Also Matlack's had the Switzer(sp) double turbo's mounted on the exhaust stack behind the cab to unload pneumatic cement trailers and when you did it was a NO LOAD 2100 for an hour at a time!!

• Like 1

Brocky

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Wobblin-Goblin said:

One way or another, I will do what I have to, to keep this truck on the road.

Where are you located? I'm in MN and my cousin has a motor here with a 5 speed bolted to it. Motor has less than 100,000 on it. I can't remember if it's a 237 or 300. But I know hes not married to it. 

8 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Where are you located? I'm in MN and my cousin has a motor here with a 5 speed bolted to it. Motor has less than 100,000 on it. I can't remember if it's a 237 or 300. But I know hes not married to it. 

I'm from CT. I spent a little time researching switching over to a 237 or 300 and found out rear ends would have to be swapped, too, if I went that route. As much as I would like the extra power of a Maxidyne under the hood, I'm not sure I'd want to add that much work to the job (of getting it back on the road) unless there were no other options.

Having said that, thank you for mentioning it and don't take this as me saying "no," I'm saying "I'm not that desperate...yet." :)

1 hour ago, Wobblin-Goblin said:

I'm from CT. I spent a little time researching switching over to a 237 or 300 and found out rear ends would have to be swapped, too, if I went that route. As much as I would like the extra power of a Maxidyne under the hood, I'm not sure I'd want to add that much work to the job (of getting it back on the road) unless there were no other options.

Having said that, thank you for mentioning it and don't take this as me saying "no," I'm saying "I'm not that desperate...yet." :)

I think you have to change rears only if you went with a different transmission, a 237 works real good in place of a 711 or 673 engine.   terry:D

• Like 2

Just now, Freightrain said:

I keep trying to pawn off my ol 673, but you are quite a trip away.

Drain all the oil and antifreeze out of it and put it on a pallet and ship it to him. I do it all the time biggest thing is not to have anything dripping out of it.