74 Mack Rmodel Project

9 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Berlin Steel Construction. They were still big when I moved to town, 30 years ago. They’re still in business, but seemed to downsize the yard here.

They belong to a Bigger Corp along the East coast out of Virginia .....They called Me for a Price to haul Steel for State project's .....needing a SBE ....

• Like 1

Ed

14 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Wow, you really tore into that quickly!! If you’re that deep into it now, may is a very strong possibility.

I was thinking the same thing holy cow. This guy is not wasting any time. I didn’t realize it was gonna go about extreme.

5 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Take me over a month just of doing oil change and filter ha ha nice work bud let’s keep it going. You’re certainly off to a good start…. Bob

When you're working 14 hour days it barely leaves you the steam to take your boots off...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

I didn't notice that point till you wrote;;  it IS a centered cab . NOT  a DM steel nose.  Still it's a Mack worth maintaining (they all are ),

I also thought it was a DM at first Glance Probably because steel nose is usually offset… bob

On 12/30/2023 at 10:49 PM, Brocky said:

Vlad, There are not many"Flintstone's" up here in the States.. I vote to keep it as an original hardnose!!!

Brocky, you didn't note my post was a quote to Bob Moverman's post.

Sure steel nose is much rarer in your neck of the woods and being also a single axle the truck represens unusual configuration. So worth to keep it that way on my mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 12/31/2023 at 2:49 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

I dont think that can happen, the cowls are different shaped, the Flinstone look becomes quite appealing the longer your with them

Fiberglass is just same same after awhile :SMOKIE-RT:

Paul 

Paul, as you can see on the cab pics posted later the cowl is similar and swapping soft nose wouldn't be a trouble. But personally I mind keeping the Flintstone look better in this particular cace. My original post had another meaning being addressed to Bob's comment of no need to do any jobs to the truck.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

3 minutes ago, terry said:

Believe it's a Australian term for the hard nosed macks    terry  :MackLogo:

Terry is Correct!!!!!! Especially the R models.. I am not sure about B models???

Brocky

Just the R model with the steel front

Legend has that when the fiberglass bonnet was available Mack Australia couldn't sell them, not tough enough is what Australians thought 

Well one thing lead to another and the once famous road train operator Noel Buntine was waiting on a new truck but no bonnets or mud guards were in Australia 

Cyril Anderson tried to talk him into a fiberglass bonnet and Noel was sceptical to take one

Apparently Noel was given axe handle and told to see just how tough fiberglass was

Turned out fiberglass was really tough and the bonnet lasted, when other Australian operators saw that Buntines that did a huge amount of off road work were buying these fangled fiberglass bonnets then others started buying them

I dunno when the last Flinstone was sold to a owner operator but Im guessing in the 70s

They look like they are from the stone age compared to the fiberglass bonnet 

As a complete side note, Australia had complete fiberglass cabs for the R and the F model for a short time as well because they couldn't get cabs out here quick enough so made the locally 

The extra 3 inches in a R model was first added to fiberglass cabs to give a smooth interior and exterior

Paul

• Like 2

Excellent thanks for letting us know. Yes we all have the weather issue or at least most of us. I’m gonna try to go out and do a little work on mine this Saturday. Let’s see what happens… bob

Dash was in decent shape just needed a good cleaning and some paint refreshing. Have not found a decent original steering wheel yet so I painted one of the modern black ones. I’m sure the paint will wear off but works for now.