74 Mack Rmodel Project

Yeah I don’t know what it is either. I had one crack on me. I just happened to have my hand right on it turning a corner and it cracked right under my hand. It wasn’t even that hot out it was a white 9000 way way back long time ago. 

Raneys has some retro steering wheels available.  I've been contemplating getting one for my B.  Likely better then trying to restore my old wheel. Once the steel core starts to rust, it will distort again and crack.

White version:

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/20-ivory-retro-bone-3-spoke-steering-wheel/

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Age mostly. As plastic ages it becomes brittle and actually shrinks. Then add the UV's, solar heating, hot and cold cycles and someone wrenching on it all day, cracks will form. If you watch some, you'll see gaps opening up where it's cracked. Plastic is a petroleum product and "off gasses" as it dries and cures. Hence the PVC smog that forms on the inside of you cars windows and the New Car smell it has when new. Then it smells like sweaty man ass, fuel, oils and exhaust after a while.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Age mostly. As plastic ages it becomes brittle and actually shrinks. Then add the UV's, solar heating, hot and cold cycles and someone wrenching on it all day, cracks will form. If you watch some, you'll see gaps opening up where it's cracked. Plastic is a petroleum product and "off gasses" as it dries and cures. Hence the PVC smog that forms on the inside of you cars windows and the New Car smell it has when new. Then it smells like sweaty man ass, fuel, oils and exhaust after a while.

forgot stale ciggy smell

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

l take it is going to be a slammed rat rod? /s   No! No! No!  lt's sure is coming along very nicely. Never saw one sitting down on just wheels like in this picture.     .....Hippy

On 2/10/2024 at 5:19 PM, JBushneck said:

IMG_5264.thumb.jpeg.16a435fcde0e134a6aa76c5a2f990b31.jpeg

23 hours ago, mowerman said:

I was kind of wondering that myself why he had the rims on it???????

actually on rims is a spectacular idea; not only easier to move around; no damage to concrete floor or wheel spokes. and as mentioned the lower height for door clearance but easy of working on 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...