Last week in Montana

B MACK

Whoah what kinda pelt is that!

-10 at night is the coldest it got here but the wind around here is the worst part.  Large stock tank is about froze all the way down and the small mineral tub tanks I use in the winter froze completely solid with a couple of the real cold nights. My two cows stayed under there lean-to for the majority of the cold snap. 

909AA50B-8CCE-4B24-91EC-1EF81075B23E.thumb.jpeg.93d96cc1da6cd7586939b44d5f7a7a18.jpeg

My chickens comb's got a bit of frostbite 

ACBEAF5F-4170-487E-9B53-51AFC59B0CC2.thumb.jpeg.dbd7cba644ddb3c100709545bb88a0ae.jpeg

Edited by BOBWhite
  • Like 1

I have seen some of those temperatures when I was living in Upstate New York and hauling potatoes out of Maine. Here in South Carolina last Friday and Saturday our temp went down to around 10 F (+/-) but the Wind was terrible so the wind chill factor was well below 0 F. The wind drove the cold into buildings that never froze before.

• Like 1

Brocky

So true Brocky..  I'm here 17 years, never saw 10 degrees til last Saturday...  Reminded me of up-home.. just glad it was only for 2 days, instead of weeks..  jojo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Bugger me, thats to cold for me 

-6 C is the coldest I have ever been, so thats plus 21f

And was to hard on my fingers, the Mack air start freezes up and I just hate it

Guess this makes me a bit soft 🥶

Paul

I've seen -6 (F) on bank signs...while riding my motorcycle.🤷‍♂️

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Ya, bit nip here last week in NE Ohio.  Be 55 on Friday!

Watched a YouTube channel the other day.  

He showed the thermometer at -50*.  Yowza.  Took some finesse and lots of heat to get the ol highboy running!

I remember back in the mid 80s, my 70 f100 and the slow start running 20w50 oil and the transmission having 85w140 in it and would stall the engine if you engaged the clutch.  Fun days!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Went to Big Sky one year skiing back in the mid-'90's. The actual night time temp was -35* at our condo & two days later the actual afternoon temp at the base was 40*. That's a 75* swing in 2 1/2 days. We'd shed another layer of clothes each run down the mountain & we were still sweating. I've skied in several states but for the beauty, peace & quiet hands down MT was my favorite.

• Like 1

I love living in an area where there is actually 4 distinct seasons, however, winter is my least favorite. The first snow or two are nice but after that I'm really done with it and can't stand it. I despise the cold the most. Once it gets cold out I light a coal fire and pretty much hibernate inside until mid March. I think we hit -8 and they said it felt like -30 with the wind. Today its supposed to be 51 and sunny.

IMG_1791.jpg

• Like 2

How do you get coal these days? Is it delivered by truck like a propane service would be? does your house have a working coal chute?

Some of the really old buildings around here still have coal chutes but not in use anymore. Coal is very hard to come by in Kansas. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Here in PA its still readily available from many different sources. Eastern PA has the largest reserves of anthracite in the world I think. Western PA where I'm from is all bituminous which is all but dead due to pretty much all the coal fired power plants shutting down and that generation being transitioned to natural gas heat recovery steam generators. I burn anthracite from Eastern PA. Its trucked to local supply yards. I have a small dump trailer I can pull with my pickup truck I get it in and leave it tarped in my back yard. Then I shovel it into a wheelbarrow and leave the wheelbarrow in my unfinished basement near the stove. A full wheelbarrow will last about a week maybe a little more of continuous burning. There are no coal delivery trucks around my area anymore that I know of. Maybe out East where a lot more people still heat primarily with coal are there delivery services that will come and dump or auger it into your bunker. My house is a 1950s ranch house that was originally built with and still has a forced air natural gas furnace. It was never set up to have a coal chute but like you a lot of the older homes and buildings around here still have them. I don't usually mess with it since natural gas is dirt cheap all things considered but if the weather is going to be really cold and nasty for several days in a row I will fire it up for extra heat and comfort. Or if there is an extended power outage. It will easily heat my entire house on radiation and natural convection alone but it too has its drawbacks like anything most of which is cost right now. Coal followed pretty much every other energy source up to the rooftops lately. I think last year I paid $240/ton for chestnut size anthracite. I checked back in October and it was just over $400/ton at the closest suppler to me and that was for bulk tonnage like I get. If you want it in 40# bags its probably closer to $450/ton. Luckily I had about half a ton left over from last year. I haven't bought any this season and probably won't. I'll just sparingly burn up what I have and see if things settle down next fall......probably not lol. Probably be $550/ton by then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ahhh reading anthracite company….also offer over 20,000 acres of the best offroading/atv/mx riding in america. Good old schuykill county….we def got it better over here on this side of the state 🤣

Edited by Onyx610

Pellet stove that’s what we use. Mostly the heat is better and yes, it has also gone up with everything else but according to the old lady, it’s still cheaper to run the stove, then to run the propane heater, and as I mentioned, the heat seems to be better keeps the house, warmer or less money. .. Bob

Oh, just to clear things up ha ha I am not in a mobile home. It’s a stick house  with propane. The area I am in the did not have natural gas lines when the neighborhood was built with most of our neighbors have switched to natural gas we have not… Bob