Last week in Montana

B MACK

23 hours ago, 67RModel said:

You look like Robert Redford in Jeremiah Johnson. Just sayin....

That’s pretty much the way you have to dress there. I got fuel one time in Butte seventeen below zero with  the wind I started the pumps at set back on the truck with the engine running and the heater going full blast. I was freezing to death. …. Bob

57 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Oh, just to clear things up ha ha I am not in a mobile home. It’s a stick house  with propane. The area I am in the did not have natural gas lines when the neighborhood was built with most of our neighbors have switched to natural gas we have not… Bob

It took 20 years from the time we bought the house until they ran the natural Gas.. The new furnace we installed many years ago had interchangeable nozzles so it was an easy change

Brocky

Yes, I’m pretty sure most appliances are the same way. The propane seems to do a very good job, but as I said somehow, about pellet stove, feels like more comfortable heat. I don’t quite know how to explain that. Plus wife claims it’s cheaper to run. I do not know she pays all the bills and I don’t see them ordinarily….  I do remember growing up back  east  oil burner heat was very common as a kid. We just heard about coal furnace. I don’t know that I ever knew anybody that had it Bob 

This thing is almost like magic Kosi 100 pellet stove. It’s 35 years old and it heats up my entire house gets so hot in there. You have to open the door sometimes and cool the house down a bit. I have done a few repairs on it but the performance is amazing, especially for his age but the house is only 1000 square feet bob

C311C28B-0E52-49B7-8080-E56F392662F2.jpeg

I've wanted to remove the propane fireplace & put in a wood stove ever since I moved in. Stupid electronic ignitor on the propane fireplace needs power...so when the power is out, I can't use it for heat...and when the power is on, I'm not wasting my propane on a fireplace when it provides a lot more heat to the home through the furnace. Never was a priority when I was by myself...and now with a wife & small kids, we're looking to get the hell out of Illinois before the boy starts school next fall so I'm not putting out that kind of time/effort. Even the chimney/flu would have to be replaced with one rated for wood fires...just not worth it. 10 years ago, or even if we were going to stay here, perhaps. Just be a waste at this point.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

If it weren't for the kids, I'd be content to stay...but Governor Putzker & the corrupt liberal shitcago democrats running the state have mandated schools waste valuable class time on ridiculous social-justice type crap, all the while kids are "graduating" who can't read or write and are absolutely ignorant in history, science, and math. Private schools are prohibitively expensive, and home schooling just isn't possible between my wife's schedule and my own...so chances are very good they'll go to public schools. I'd rather those public schools be in a state where the emphasis is still on teaching kids reading, writing, math, science, and history rather than LGBTQRS+, BLM, gender fluidity, and whatever other liberal cause-of-the-day may come along.

The move has been in the works for about a year now...we were HOPING to be moved already. Just delays on the place we're buying. Friends bought a farm and need to build their new place, then we're buying their old place. Comes with a few acres, so we won't have to board our horses anymore...save some money that way. Mother-in-law (who has been staying here since she moved up from Texas 2-1/2 going on 3 years ago) was SUPPOSED to buy my house, but a recent health scare has my wife thinking she needs to move with us to the new place rather than live on her own here (despite it only being 20-30 minutes away). Damn near had to drag her to the hospital on Thanksgiving day, and the hospital wanted to transfer her to a "more sophisticated" hospital due to low oxygen count (apparently she's got COPD pretty bad from a lifetime of smoking) along with a bad case of the flu...but she signed a DNR, so they admitted her. Doc said another day and she probably wouldn't have made it. Anyway, she's on oxygen now...tethered to a machine in her room through a tube to her nose. Fun. So, we're back to needing to find someone dumb enough to buy a house in Illinois again. Luckily, our friends have money and it'll be seller-financed, and they want us out of Illinois, too...so they may let us move before "officially" put the house on the market (when it's NOT seriously cluttered up from too many people living in it) and not worry about paying them until this place sells. I guess we'll see...school for the boy starts in August either way. Clock is ticking.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

that sucks but it doe,,snt sound much differant than this town,,,people are pouring in here from san francisco bay area and turning it into your situation ,,,went from slow moving cowpoke red neck working folks to fast pace overpriced lib land with too many home owner associations everywhere and pushy rude people all around me now..and yes,,,old lady tells me,school system here now is just like you mentioned there  😖....bob

Paul,,,  hand built with wood at the site, as opposed to a manufactured house that is built in pieces inside a big wharehouse sized building..  Like how our trailer homes are built..  We also call these homes pre-fab houses..  kinda cool really...  they are not subject to bad weather as they are being built..  

• Like 1

Small schools usually aren't any better and in my case it was much worse than a bigger schools. 3 overpaid a*s wad superintendent-principles ruined not just the school but countless young lives from ever going to a big collage, including me and my 2 brothers. I go to conferences and hear about the classes and opportunities the kids in bigger schools get and it's just not worth it anymore to send kids through a rural program. I don't care what they make e'm learn just let them choose the path they want to take in high-school instead of wasting there time on government required BS classes.

Our Education system is one big joke. Boils my blood just talking about it. And get this, the solution is not to throw more money at it! Can you believe it!?

it all goes into the administrators pockets anyways. 

1 hour ago, BOBWhite said:

Small schools usually aren't any better and in my case it was much worse than a bigger schools. 3 overpaid a*s wad superintendent-principles ruined not just the school but countless young lives from ever going to a big collage, including me and my 2 brothers. I go to conferences and hear about the classes and opportunities the kids in bigger schools get and it's just not worth it anymore to send kids through a rural program. I don't care what they make e'm learn just let them choose the path they want to take in high-school instead of wasting there time on government required BS classes.

Our Education system is one big joke. Boils my blood just talking about it. And get this, the solution is not to throw more money at it! Can you believe it!?

it all goes into the administrators pockets anyways. 

Bob  I think it’s pretty much the same way everywhere or most  everywhere this nation has slowly turned into the laughingstock of the globe this place certainly needs a lot of help. Yes, it also makes me sick schools and teachers are right there with our hero soldiers. Right at the bottom of the list… and Joey I’m sure you will read this. Thanks for your explanation of my regular house. Ha ha… Bob. 

• Like 1

Power blew out New Year’s Eve 6 o’clock just got it back last night around 10 My power generator is busted and I have been putting off fixing it. That was a big mistake. Miserable holiday time off… would have been happier working … Bob

Bob that’s the worst when the generator don’t work . my dad has an old 60 kw military generator with a 6 cyl white in it lost power in the last storm we had it was like - 10 out fires right up and no voltage I swapped in his 20 kw kohler with a yanmar worker for 2 hours and it took a shit had to get him a rental one from work got home to start my generator it’s a 150 kw with a 3306 cat  and couldn’t get it to start either  I guess we all need to be more prepared 

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

The other day when it was -33, it was a nice sunny day with no wind. You had to dress for it, but it was actually pleasant to be outside.  And the sun has some heat in it, it made some dandy icicles.   That same day, Elk Park which is just north of Butte on Interstate 15 had an ambient air temp of -50.  Montana has a few records. The coldest ambient temp in the lower 48states was -70 at Rogers Pass in 1954, the greatest temperature change in a 24-hour period was 103 degrees at Loma, north of Great Falls in the 1970s, (it was minus 54 degrees at 9am and 24 hours later it was 49 degrees above.     I like those electric free fans on top of your coal burner. they work pretty well; I have one on my wood burner.

thumbnail_IMG_20221222_150746215.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20221225_153814694.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 11:20 PM, Terry T said:

Went to Big Sky one year skiing back in the mid-'90's. The actual night time temp was -35* at our condo & two days later the actual afternoon temp at the base was 40*. That's a 75* swing in 2 1/2 days. We'd shed another layer of clothes each run down the mountain & we were still sweating. I've skied in several states but for the beauty, peace & quiet hands down MT was my favorite.

I've always said Montana was the prettiest place I've ever been.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 1/2/2023 at 5:48 PM, Mean Green said:

Bob that’s the worst when the generator don’t work . my dad has an old 60 kw military generator with a 6 cyl white in it lost power in the last storm we had it was like - 10 out fires right up and no voltage I swapped in his 20 kw kohler with a yanmar worker for 2 hours and it took a shit had to get him a rental one from work got home to start my generator it’s a 150 kw with a 3306 cat  and couldn’t get it to start either  I guess we all need to be more prepared 

Sorry I missed this one. Yes, next time and that happens I will definitely have everything I need. It’s kind of like everybody’s changing their windshield wipers in the middle of a rainstorm. Bob

• Haha 1