Spectacular R model up for auction

There were certainly better engine transmission options available in that year. The wheelbase is a tad short. I am not sure this is easily fixable without swapping out the engine and transmission, but that kills the low mileage aspect. Yes the 5 speed needed another gear or gears between 4th and fifth.

Edited by james j neiweem
  • Like 2

I spent many a mile in F's and R's 237 and 5 speeds in the 70's and I never liked the 5 speed transmission. When I got in a 10 speed road ranger WOW and when I got to drive a 13 speed teamed up with a 350 Cummins I really liked that setup.

• Like 1

i remember that truck. it was always washed before being put back in the garage. 

and there were only a handful of drivers qualified to drive it. 

Freehold is only about 20 miles south of me.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Can’t tell if has air ride cab? noticed it doesn’t have the water filter & I don’t see the canister type oil filter (can’t remember exactly what they call it). It is too short really, wonder what axle rating it is?

Edited by 1965

Picture 21, never seen an air tank like that, also looks like it might have a little bubble on door. Sure wished it was closer to me, don’t see them that clean around me but I’m sure it will be way out of my budget anyways

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve L said:

There’s a lot of wear on the gear stick for such low miles

I am sure its been over 100,000 once that happens the numbers are not straight across they are usually a little off like that one is But yes I agree with Paul I would just  EnJoy the damn thing but of course if you’ve got something in mind to put it in  service I am sure these other fellows are thinking of working it and what they would need to put it on a job … bob

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve L said:

There’s a lot of wear on the gear stick for such low miles

I'd be curious to know How many Hours the Engine's Done..??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

32 minutes ago, Jeff M said:

Looks like 1258 on the tach

That would depend on if it had a PTO pump mounted?? The shift lever wear is probably because all were short trips!! Probably not into 5th that often??

Brocky

Why does it have econodyne on the hood?

I’ve seen several trucks like this, 300 maxidyne & 5spd, all Mack truck gold dogs with econodyne on hood. I think I’ve only seen 1 truck ever that had maxidyne on hood.

• Like 1

Maybe the gear knob got a lot of polishing haha! But really it is a beautiful truck that I would love and be proud to own. Regards the gold/silver ornaments, I had a 72. 237 6 speed maxidyne (all Mack) gold emblem, then a 81. 320 12 speed coolpower (all Mack) the last new Mack I purchased was a 87 maxidyne 300 12 speed (all Mack) that had silver emblems. So Mack’s we’re not consistent with the emblems. I was in Mack’s workshop 67-72 and back then all thermodynes were silver emblems and maxidynes were gold, that obviously went haywire. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1965 said:

I’ve seen several trucks like this, 300 maxidyne & 5spd, all Mack truck gold dogs with econodyne on hood. I think I’ve only seen 1 truck ever that had maxidyne on hood.

To the year it was built (85-88?) it should be R690 with that 300hp EM6. Mack put Econodyne badges on those trucks for some reason. And silver dogs. But to me it seems they were Maxidynes by the mean.

Beautiful truck. The lever looks worn over its top indeed but overall condition of the interior looks much fresher than 100K miles.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

6 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

Agree. I am one that believes that the owner has the right to do as he/she pleases but get dismayed when they choose to modify a pristine example. I'm also into Model A fords and often see guys buy a REAL nice stock car (usually restored) and proceed to chop, channel and hotrod it. To my way of thinking that is what you do with cars that already need a lot of work anyways. To their way of thinking it's cheaper and easier to start with a pristine car than start with a wreck. I get that and, like i said, they have the right to do as they please but it still saddens me somewhat. 

De Jure the owner has the right to do whatever he want, it's true. But actually there's a thing which is called cultural value or historical value. In some cases it is protected by law. For example you can not modify a historical building no matter you own it or not. Not sure how it works in the States but in my country it occures for the most buildings in a city historical center. Or for example you're not allowed to farm or build in a national park. A bit different case since you can't buy a land there but the same matter. So my point of view is an owner of an artifact which has any special value, historical, cultural or artificial, should feel resopnsibility for keeping his object of property in a certain condition regarding it's special value. It's not a law in the particular case but we all love the things we own or deal with for fun. So it seems like our very care to preserve them since WE need them existing and bringing fun, no one else.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

12 hours ago, 1965 said:

I have wondered the same . My 1989 DM 690 has a 300 maxidyne with an econodyne emblem on the hood.  

• Like 1

Keith