I wonder if any Mack historians know why the C Model Mack was ever produced. The B model was done in 1965-66. and the U &R models came started in 1965-66. It seems as though Mack was trying to use up B model parts and L cabs. The L cab should have been utilized more on the B's to compete with Whites A Car drivers cab.

9 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

I wonder if any Mack historians know why the C Model Mack was ever produced. The B model was done in 1965-66. and the U &R models came started in 1965-66. It seems as though Mack was trying to use up B model parts and L cabs. The L cab should have been utilized more on the B's to compete with Whites A Car drivers cab.

When I sit in an L cab I say..."and what was the advantage of a B cab?"  Oh yeah-it was more aerodynamic!

• Like 1

You know now that I think of it Mack dropped the ball with the C model and the B-67. They should have met the 92 in BBC limit with the C-600 instead of the B-67. The C-600 would have been much better competition to the White 9000's of the time. Actually the L cab with the B front end looked very tuff looking (like a Mack should). Actually this may be an idea for a new thread. "Where and when did Mack drop the ball over the years" 🙂

Edited by james j neiweem

Why do so many LTL freight trucks from the 60s, 70s, and 80s have the front bumper cut off on the ends? You only really see it on the fleet trucks from that time. Was it a weight and/or cost saving measure? It always jumps out at me and I don't know why companies did it.

I have seen this question before and the answer given then was for then working in deep snow, now given how little snow driving experience I have I couldnt tell you if this was true or not

I guess it has merrit though

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul

the snow thing was for a snow plow mount. 

you remove the front bumper and mount a heavy steel plate in it's place for the plow mount. 

the plow would hit the bumper if it was full length. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Im pretty sure that was on a Australian truck forum so theres a good chance that who ever gave that answer had as much experience at driving in snow as I do 

Paul

Well I doubt most of us have ever had to worry about hitting a kangaroo 🦘 so you've got that on us

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2021 at 7:14 PM, alex g said:

Well I doubt most of us have ever had to worry about hitting a kangaroo 🦘 so you've got that on us

no, wo don't have to worry about roos.

instead we have stupid people playing on the dark sections of highways at night dressed in dark clothes.

they are even dumber than roos, who at least know to get out of the way of vehicles coming at them.  

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Yes the bumper cutoffs were to save the front tires. Most of the trucks at the time had bumpers real close to the tires. Most bumpers now are some sort of plastic. Probably not a tire killer. I am thinking the Mack Anthem is a three piece bumper. Might look pretty retro if the corner bumpers were removed.