New here! B60T project

I took my air cleaner to my local motor shop I use and had them hot tank the body.  Crystal clean and was ready for fresh paint.  I recall most manuals show the cleaner being submerged in fuel to wash it out.  

As for oil?  I just use my 15w40 rotella I use in the engine.  Fill to the line on the side of the bottom pan.

• Thanks 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

3 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I took my air cleaner to my local motor shop I use and had them hot tank the body.  Crystal clean and was ready for fresh paint.  I recall most manuals show the cleaner being submerged in fuel to wash it out.  

As for oil?  I just use my 15w40 rotella I use in the engine.  Fill to the line on the side of the bottom pan.

Thank you for these ideas!

I've been following your progress religiously. It is going to be spectacular when it's done. great job both of you. The seats turned out great. My wife bought an industrial sewing machine to do the interior of her Model A and is still learning and getting accessories and the like that she needs. Her projects are piling up. She did the seat in a little shriners Model T that I am rebuilding for the grandkids as a first project but has the seats to do in 3 B-61's now as well as the seats for my '31 model A delivery and then whole interior for her '28 model A sedan. Oh, a coupe of snowmobile seats as well. She's gonna be busy. Thanks for the regular updates. They are much appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

I've been following your progress religiously. It is going to be spectacular when it's done. great job both of you. The seats turned out great. My wife bought an industrial sewing machine to do the interior of her Model A and is still learning and getting accessories and the like that she needs. Her projects are piling up. She did the seat in a little shriners Model T that I am rebuilding for the grandkids as a first project but has the seats to do in 3 B-61's now as well as the seats for my '31 model A delivery and then whole interior for her '28 model A sedan. Oh, a coupe of snowmobile seats as well. She's gonna be busy. Thanks for the regular updates. They are much appreciated. 

Ah!  Thanks so much!  I know it won't look like much until we get the body work done, but for anyone who has engaged in any kind of restoration, I think you can appreciate the hundreds of hours that go into these projects!  I'm still getting my old industrial Juki machine in good working order.  I actually did these seats on my trusty Singer "Heavy Duty" model.  Given the fact that they are mostly straight panels with only those two side panels that have any curves, it was pretty doable.  Sounds like your wife will be well versed in these seats when she's done her current list!  Thank you again for following along, it has made the work extra fun to know others are appreciating the progress, too.  Can't wait to roll her out on the road in the spring and do a full video tour.  Back to my "snow day" escapades! 

Cheers,

SJ

• 2 weeks later...

Friends, 

Back to my air cleaner.  Many of you have provided great feedback on cleaning the unit.  Here's the dilemma: turns out the need for cleaning is not just general dust and dirt, but organic material brought in by mice (at some point) for nesting.  Thoughts?

Soft flame on a torch played around the area? I dont believe the mesh is fine enough to catch fire but should withstand the torch flame and debris flame. Then an air hose to backwash. If theres pieces of fabric or insulation then this probably shouldnt be used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SkippyMack said:

Doing my part to stimulate the economy by purchasing paint!  Primer, paint, and all the supplies are in the shop!  Doing body work with a goal to start spraying next week.  I'm also tackling the headliner. Wish me luck and stay tuned! 

You ain't kidding about stimulating...the Axalta paint for my cab was $700/gallon.

I've been using a 2K paint by "Diamond-Vogle" out of IA but they have a store in Peoria. About $125.00 a sprayable gallon and it is a very nice coating. I took original panels in and they have tinted Mack red, green, yellow, white, and of course black. All are stored on file so easily intermixed again.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

13 hours ago, mowerman said:

ok thats more like it....its not rattle cans,,,actually shoot it with a gun?????

yup. cut 60-40 with acetone, then spray it on. 

i use rustoleum red oxide primer cut 60-40, two lite coats usually, then three four lite coats of paint. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 2/22/2021 at 9:29 PM, tjc transport said:

yup. cut 60-40 with acetone, then spray it on. 

i use rustoleum red oxide primer cut 60-40, two lite coats usually, then three four lite coats of paint. 

I’ve seen on YouTube a heap of guys will put some enamel hardener in with rustoleum paint. 
Apparently it improves drying time, gloss and durability. 

• Like 1