1972 Mack U685ST

9 hours ago, h67st said:

Sharp looking U model. The trailer next to it looks like a see-through display trailer with an old pickup in it. I don't believe I've ever seen one of those.

There is a NASCAR display transporter based along I-85 in Gaffney SC with a whole fleet of those trailers.

Brocky

49 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I thought in 72 they were still steel dash? Good lookin truck anyways, always liked the U’s.

That's right.  I knew the previous owner who had put a better cab on the truck and it was from a late 70's U model with the plastic dash.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

2 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

What was the U model built for. I know mack had a reason for that offset cab, I've just never heard it.

the U had a 90  BBC and was designed to compete with the likes of the White 9000 initially and then for sure when the LN Ford came out as more operators went to 45' boxes.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:33 PM, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

What was the U model built for. I know mack had a reason for that offset cab, I've just never heard it.

Various states had short length laws, SO shorter tractors meant longer trailers.

Brocky

13 hours ago, Jeff M said:

And of course gave much more room for the driver than if the cab had been centered.  Now the passenger, not so much.  

Makes you wonder if the cab offset was a visibility thing or just neccesary because the engine was sitting in the drivers lap.

4 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Makes you wonder if the cab offset was a visibility thing or just neccesary because the engine was sitting in the drivers lap.

Both.  Mack's "Commandcab" had increase visibility and the drivers feet needed someplace to go since the cab was also pushed forward.  The use of offset cabs by Mack in certain applications goes back into the 1940's.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

32 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Both.  Mack's "Commandcab" had increase visibility and the drivers feet needed someplace to go since the cab was also pushed forward.  The use of offset cabs by Mack in certain applications goes back into the 1940's.

Right Jim ..Like this old  dude.. Currently residing in the woods on Rt. 62 Sterling, MA

100_0434.jpg

100_0435.jpg

• Like 1

You also saw a lot of U models with the right front fender either damaged or torn off. Did you ever see a driver damn near fall out of the cab because he forgot that the fuel tank step was under the cab? You had to learn to drive them like a COE by hugging the left center line in the highway or risk being on the shoulder or worse. 

• Like 2