Time to fix up the R600

Well it is great knowing you won't be stealing "Momma" for a jaunt as she won't ride in a truck without arm rests. Ya see, she uses the door to keep one side of her hindquarter flaps in the seat, and an armrest to hold the other. As small as an R model cab is inside, I'm certain you don't want to rub hips with her as might interrupt, or bind your shifting routine. I don't have armrests either but do carry an extra ratchet strap for the rare occurrance, but then have to listen to her.....

On top of that and as added benefit, there won't be any of that "ooze" to clean up afterward.

Seats, and interior work look good. Should be a reasonably comfortable truck to drive when finished.

• Haha 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2 hours ago, j hancock said:

Well.....  ummmm.....  RP,  you will just need to shorten your legs a couple of inches...

Yeah I'm real bright, I'm 6'6" and I built the pickup with a concave cab and then bought a short cab R. I can stretch out in the Autocar though.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 11:14 AM, 66dc75 said:

Dynamatting well under way. Ordered 2 new airseats and made up new floor brackets for them. Got some pleated black vinyl material coming for back of cab, door panels and firewall. Going to get a new floormat too, might as well at this point..

Amazing how this stuff can snowball, I really just wanted to get the windshield wipers working again.

20200210_161655.jpg

20200210_161656.jpg

Yes things snow ball very quickly sometimes

• Like 1

I saw your comment on installing a radio and speakers: check to see if the truck is still positive ground. Mack held on to the positive ground system well into the 70s. The only real issue - besides not reversing the battery cables - was radios. Any of the aftermarket radios were negative ground and just reversing the red and black power wires resulted in making the chassis of the radio hot. Many bad things followed, as you can imagine. I do remember converting several trucks to negative ground but it's been too long to recall if the alternator had to be replaced.

10 hours ago, AITG said:

I saw your comment on installing a radio and speakers: check to see if the truck is still positive ground. Mack held on to the positive ground system well into the 70s. The only real issue - besides not reversing the battery cables - was radios. Any of the aftermarket radios were negative ground and just reversing the red and black power wires resulted in making the chassis of the radio hot. Many bad things followed, as you can imagine. I do remember converting several trucks to negative ground but it's been too long to recall if the alternator had to be replaced.

This one is negative ground

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good thing you don't work for me your speaker box would have been kindling, one of my biggest peevs is having a driver that can't hear the phone or the radio when he is grooving to one's favorite tune, I like the oldies but NO tunes in the truck when moving loads. it's a safety thing, I have lost count of the times of trying to get a drivers attention only to open the door and be blasted with loud noise. so now NO tunes and you will have your company radio on, CBs are a waste of time also.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 4:30 PM, mowerman said:

i dont know how any of you taller guys fit in them,,,im only 5-7 and my seat is just about all the way back....bob

bob us taller guys in the short cab scene use our knees to keep our ears warm

Edited by carlotpilot

8 hours ago, david wild said:

Good thing you don't work for me your speaker box would have been kindling, one of my biggest peevs is having a driver that can't hear the phone or the radio when he is grooving to one's favorite tune, I like the oldies but NO tunes in the truck when moving loads. it's a safety thing, I have lost count of the times of trying to get a drivers attention only to open the door and be blasted with loud noise. so now NO tunes and you will have your company radio on, CBs are a waste of time also.

actually only listen to talk radio

For most of my early days when I started driving back in 1969 there were no radios in the A,B,F,R and U models I drove. I really appreciated it when I had a truck with a radio. Later when I drove for Conway we had no radios and no jump seats so most drivers built their own radio boxes with Cb's in them because we also did not have assigned trucks. My personal opinion is nice radio box and it is up to each individual owner if they want one or not. Hell you wouldn't buy a car or pick up if it had no radio.

Our rule is for safety only, we need drivers to hear what is going on around them, ever seen a person run over on a job site because the driver never heard people yelling stop ? I have and it is one not a pretty sight and worse are the sounds, death is not silent sometimes.

10 hours ago, david wild said:

Our rule is for safety only, we need drivers to hear what is going on around them, ever seen a person run over on a job site because the driver never heard people yelling stop ? I have and it is one not a pretty sight and worse are the sounds, death is not silent sometimes.

Back in the early 80's we had a delivery driver with a chassis mounted crane who forgot to lower the boom. He was listening to a Walkman player and took down two freeway signs before someone caught his attention to stop. Needless to say the company banned headphones after that. If you have a stereo cranked up it would have the same effect.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:00 PM, carlotpilot said:

bob us taller guys in the short cab scene use our knees to keep our ears warm

Sorry I just spotted this still trying to get over the music in CB on my lane there’s a lot of talkers I am just about on the CB Mike my entire shift sometimes ha ha God love you for fitting  in those things... bob