Time to fix up the R600

Good job!

I wish you could get the perfect match on the interiour color. Speaking about the exterior I would advice to draw a simple picture of the truck using computer and than apply multiple colors and combos to get understanding on what you enjoy better.

Thanks for the tip on that wiper air motor rebuild kit. I have electrical setup off a RD cab but using original old fashion air driven unit seems more authintic and interesting. Can you share the part # of that kit?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

19 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Good job!

I wish you could get the perfect match on the interiour color. Speaking about the exterior I would advice to draw a simple picture of the truck using computer and than apply multiple colors and combos to get understanding on what you enjoy better.

Thanks for the tip on that wiper air motor rebuild kit. I have electrical setup off a RD cab but using original old fashion air driven unit seems more authintic and interesting. Can you share the part # of that kit?

Hi Vlad the kit was a zip lock sandwich bag with the seals and o rings in it, no part number, very informal. I called them and gave them the numbers off the end of the wiper motor and they mailed it out. Their website is rometruckparts.com.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 66dc75 said:

Hi Vlad the kit was a zip lock sandwich bag with the seals and o rings in it, no part number, very informal. I called them and gave them the numbers off the end of the wiper motor and they mailed it out. Their website is rometruckparts.com.

Did the same with my A-40 several years ago. Good people to deal with and straight shooters with information.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My CF-600 sprung a radiator leak. Tried to find a new one but no luck. Finding a radiator shop for a re-core isn't to big or a problem at least in my area. Getting the radiator out for repairs is turning out to be a major PITA.

Mack 11E.jpg

25 -30years ago you were never more than a few miles from a radiator shop, real automotive machine shop or starter alternator shop. Now not so much.  Plastic tanks, and crate engines killed most of them off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 66dc75 said:

25 -30years ago you were never more than a few miles from a radiator shop, real automotive machine shop or starter alternator shop. Now not so much.  Plastic tanks, and crate engines killed most of them off.

I think EPA stuff put the demise to a lot of small repair shops, couldn't afford all the new regulations.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 2

Lot of things killed them off around here. Crate engines and transmissions marketed by the major parts stores, complete radiators and starters available for less $$$ than parts can be rebuilt locally for, fuel injection cleaning up the byproducts of combustion lengthening the service intervals between major repair(s), EPA, gasoline costs driving the cost of racing exponential, insurance, machine tool costs to not need a skilled operator, etc.

It's all factors and those machine shops that remain are quite expensive to use anymore. The ones around here remaining are down to just a couple of employees and sometimes begging for work.  

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've had my CF-600 for 1-1/2 years and its been "time to fix up" since. It has been NOTHING THE EASY WAY.. Have you ever looked at something and say to yourself if I ever need to do that it will be a REAL PITA. Well that is the case with the radiator in my truck. I figured 48 years old perhaps the radiator might be an issue but I was hoping it wouldn't be. Have you ever heard the saying I feel much better since I've given up hope. Well that isn't the case.

I have to be an odd ball and I like to be different but it all come at a cost. The radiator in a CF-600 is in the worst possible place imaginable buried and stuffed in the middle of the truck with no easy access. I guess should consider myself lucky because I've had a choice of about a half dozen different shops to do the re-core when the radiator is finally removed. After a few phone calls and interviews I've narrowed it down to a few shops I'd trust to do the work. Both are not small time operations mom and pop local shops. When I told one smaller shop the radiator has aluminum tanks he had no idea what I was talking about. Next on the list. I don't want to do this job twice and find out after I put the re-cored radiation in the truck it has a leak.

Next on the list of "time to fix up" things that need to be done are the wiper motors. I tried removing the air lines and squirted WD-40 in the motors and air lines before reattaching. No Luck. The wiper might be slightly better but not by much. I looked at that wiper issue for the past 1-1/2 years and was hoping it wouldn't come down to removing and dismantling them but I've given up hope and I still don't feel any better.

Mack 11E.jpg

I guess my first mistake was changing the fluids along with coolant when I first got the truck because it was purchased without service records. Stirred up the shi_ as they say. Dissecting and getting deeper into the radiator removal I notice the radiator might have been living on borrowed time. I can now see where the core meets the bottom tank there are signs of corrosion. If there was easy access I might have given a try to pinching off a row to try and by some time and limp around until spring. The truck is stuck outside and the current weather isn't cooperating or conducive to being warm a cozy.  

Mack 11E.jpg

Stripped the interior,  it was pretty grubby and acne scarred under the floor mat. Scraped, chipped and wire brushed it before a heavy coat of rust reformer. Next stop brush on bedliner on the floor and a full covering with dynamat. Ordered 2 new midback air seats today too. Epoxied up the cracked steering wheel and squirted some paint on it.

20200131_131225.jpg

20200131_115849.jpg

20200131_131238.jpg

20200131_090837.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome work! Thanks for the pics. 
My truck has insulation on the firewall, and I’ll just found a rust hole in the engine bay which has started from the inside. So looks like it’s all gotta come out now. 
Is the insulation for noise or heat or both? If it’s just for noise then I plan on doing what you done and dynamat the lot. 

6 hours ago, Timmyb said:

Awesome work! Thanks for the pics. 
My truck has insulation on the firewall, and I’ll just found a rust hole in the engine bay which has started from the inside. So looks like it’s all gotta come out now. 
Is the insulation for noise or heat or both? If it’s just for noise then I plan on doing what you done and dynamat the lot. 

Thanks Tim, I did it for noise but it might help block some heat, The vinyl that's going on the firewall has some foam bonded to it so that should help too,