Caught off guard

mowerman

This was actually last year I have a 4 wheel drive F150 now we got the wife a new explorer and kept the pickup for a spare now I park the mustang when we got lousy weather....I’m sure some of you are familiar with tire chains ....hadda use them twice last year ... bob

A8F99A43-4BC9-4E86-AE3B-609FFD2DCDE7.jpeg

• Like 1

That car is really hard to chain up can’t get your hands and between the fender wells and you can’t lay underneath .....plus sucks to put in 14 Jr shift then chain the mustang to drive home .. Real happy I have a pick up now......bob

Oh the joys of throwing iron. I throw lots of chains at my job. Starts with mud in the fall, then snow and ice and drifts through the winter and ends with either greasy gumbo the top few inches to deep sloppy mud through spring. Summers are nice though. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Hubs?
I haven’t had a truck with locking hubs in years. When I did though, I would lock them in that morning before leaving if I thought I might need them for mud or ice or snow.

That's what I did if I was running around town growing up on the east coast but not if we were going to run down the highway or freeway.

My current work truck has locking hubs as do my old jeep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1965 said:

Hubs?

I haven’t had a truck with locking hubs in years. When I did though, I would lock them in that morning before leaving if I thought I might need them for mud or ice or snow.

I replaced the auto-lock hubs on the Suburban with manual lockers. One of the auto-lockers was broke, and with open diffs, that meant no power to either front wheel. MUCH cheaper to buy & simpler to install...and more dependable. I lock 'em in, they're locked. It also gives me 2wd low for when traction is good but I want to gear down (like when backing a trailer).

Only thing worse than auto-lock hubs are the constant-lock ones that turn the entire front-end drive train even when in 2wd, causing excessive & unnecessary wear & tear.

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

2 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Chains?

I haven't put chains on in decades living in Southern California. Did get yelled at by the CHP for pulling into the chaining area to lock the hubs on my truck.

I put a few pairs of singles on trying to get down there from RENO but usually no more But yes I know what you mean Southern California they really don’t like anything lol I understand Massachusetts is getting the same way ...bob

14 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Hah-chains on a Boss!  That would make a good picture.  Bet you would like to  have Uncles Boss  now!

You bet! He kept it right to the end too and wouldn't let anyone have it.....so it ended up rotting right into the ground.

My father always bought new Mustangs too. But up here with the salt....everyone used to drive their stuff year round not thinking those old cars were going to be worth something, so they all rotted away.

12 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Nope sorry no idea what you jokers are talking about

No need for snow chains or what ever you blokes call them in this part of the world

Having a high this week of 46 or 114.8 in the old money

received-454346088571670.png

Paul

I'm on night shift snow haul in the city. This is week three from when we started.

I had posted pics of our snow dumps last winter. Last night I was talking to someone from the city works department and they said we hauled over 7 million cubic metres of snow last winter. That was just us hired trucks.....did not include the cities own trucks.

008 (Large).JPG

017 (Large).jpg

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, mowerman said:

That car is really hard to chain up can’t get your hands and between the fender wells and you can’t lay underneath .....plus sucks to put in 14 Jr shift then chain the mustang to drive home .. Real happy I have a pick up now......bob

And get your chains on right the first time or you’ll be out changing brake lines in the snow.....don’t ask me how I know. 

We’re getting pounded up here. Closest town recorded 30.9 inches of snow so far. That’s where we should be In February. This will be a Snowpocalypse that’ll dwarf last year.

We don’t use chains up here. One of two things happen.....

1. The snow is light fluff and you blow a hole through it. 1-7”.

2. The snow is light fluff and your up in the air with your wheels spinning because it lifted your chassis. 7-12”.

I use them on the Lake once in a while.

• Like 1

I have thrown some iron pulling tankers North of Syracuse NY to the St Lawrence River Valley..  Mostly to get from the big road into the distributors yard and back out, especially at night.. Learned to put an "S" curve in the discharge hose so you could move the drives out of the ice pockets when you were only half unloaded!!! And not to spin a wheel with singles on the outside!!!  

• Like 1

Brocky

20 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Well I'm getting soft in my old age because it's the working and trying to keep the truck working in minus 40 that I am starting to hate, LOL.

You know I really don’t care for winter period...lol. The older I get the worse I hate it bring back lawn mowing and barbecue....bob

I spent the majority of my first 25 years living south of Buffalo, NY.  Learned to drive during the Blizzard of '77.  I never drove a vehicle with chains on it until I moved to Georgia!  If there was even a flurry, we were putting chains on the fire apparatus.

I've lived in Georgia since 1985.  If you added up all the snowfall here since then, it wouldn't come close to one good Lake Effect storm in Buffalo!

hahaha i guess that blizzard was enough to get you outa buffalo....and yes i remember that storm quite well.....was living in massachusetts then.... driving for nissens bakery....vehicles were banned from the road,,,,we were some of the only people allowed to be out there,,,,perishables...you know???...bob

No. it was never the weather that made me move, it was the lack of a decent job, or any prospects of getting one.  Best move I ever made.  In our best year in NY, the wife and I together filed on $11k.  The very next year, in Georgia, I filed on over $18k and I was the only one working!

• Like 1

oooooooh i gotcha,,in most cases,,thats the most important thing...i understand alotta people went to north dakota to work with oil.....i moved to california 1980 got tired of shitty weather,,,then wound up in reno ....now im right back to the 4 seasons.lol.but i run down to LA with my job...so i have the best of both worlds...bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...