Night time illumination devises

B MACK

there used too be a law where headlites could only be a certain candle power.in the 70's i put a set of boosh h4's in my car and was told i could not use them in the us.now the driving lites in my escape are marked fog lites which i'm not supposed to be useing them unless it's foggy.ever drive in a snow storm or fog with head lites on.thank god for amber fog lites

21 minutes ago, BOB DINGSDALE said:

there used too be a law where headlites could only be a certain candle power.in the 70's i put a set of boosh h4's in my car and was told i could not use them in the us.now the driving lites in my escape are marked fog lites which i'm not supposed to be useing them unless it's foggy.ever drive in a snow storm or fog with head lites on.thank god for amber fog lites

My Marmon was cited because in the early 90's I has Cibie high and low beam lights in it.

One issue I did find was that people up grade the lights and don't follow the instructions and re aim the new lights.  The LEDs I've put in all my units specifically tell you the light pattern is different and MUST be re aimed to prevent blinding on coming drivers.

Did have an incident years ago near Camp Hero where the oncoming car had it's bright lights and driving lights on. I flashed mine and the guy ignored it so I flashed them again. His response was to turn on his fog lights.I was so p.o'd hit lit up my 6 KC Hilighters, for some reason he stopped for a good 5 minutes.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Haha 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Even on this side of the world those poxy blue and LED head lights make it hard

Thankfully I dont live were areas are heavily populated so it isnt as big a drama 

I havent been able ro buy Cibie super oscars for some years and even the bull lights are getting pretty thin on the ground

I put a set of Narva driving lights on Mrs Mack last year and they have some type of white lamp and I find them better than all the older brands 

Narva Ultima's 225 I think thry were 

Paul 

Well here in NH no one is writing tickets for failure to dim lights. Seems like everyone is going around with driving/fog/aux headlamps on in traffic. We have our own drivers and outside carriers that cant shut them or the head lights off while in the yard or backed up at the dock. l've always dimmed and turned the head lights off as soon as l set the brakes. One of our guys has a three foot LED light bar on the bumper of his jacked up 350 Ford. l've never seen him turn it off even in traffic, hell l put the high beams to him one morning when l met him.   .....Hippy   

I wish someone could explain to the yuppies that there's no reason to run driving lights when you're in the city with streetlights and lots of traffic. They blind oncoming drivers for no reason.

In the city the only reason to turn on the headlights is so that the other drivers can see the vehicle coming

In CA the government is more worried about what is coming out of the tailpipe to check the lights

So many people drive with bright lights that driving at night is not as fun

The best one is the people that have one headlight adjusted to blind you

When I suspect you have your high beams on and you don't dim them or put on high beams after I put on my high beams I leave my high beams on. Apparently some vehicles require a lot of work to dim their lights.

As irritating as the bright/improperly aimed lights is the fool who runs around in the dark because he can see. DUH?? We would like to be able to see you.

• Like 2

It’s a pet peeve of mine. A big problem with the bright lights is they seem to drown out the other lights coming over the hill. And for some reason they don’t drop them when they see my orange clearance lights, no they wait till they can see my headlights then wait 10 seconds till they drop them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

Well here in NH no one is writing tickets for failure to dim lights. Seems like everyone is going around with driving/fog/aux headlamps on in traffic. We have our own drivers and outside carriers that cant shut them or the head lights off while in the yard or backed up at the dock. l've always dimmed and turned the head lights off as soon as l set the brakes. One of our guys has a three foot LED light bar on the bumper of his jacked up 350 Ford. l've never seen him turn it off even in traffic, hell l put the high beams to him one morning when l met him.   .....Hippy   

There are a lot  of light issues I bitch about.  And you just hit on one of them.     When people need to or should have their head lights on, they don't.  It really pisses me off when it is dark and people are parked ( big trucks included, the new breed ) or like you said , they are backing to a dock or what ever  and they leave their head lights on.           And there are the ones that drive all day with their parking / marker lights on but not head lamps to help others see them. 

He'll i.was comming out of Mt prospect on 294 by O'Hara airport tonite at 730 pm in the rain and a black car in the right lane had NO lights on in the pouring rain.WTF people any more are that dumb I bet they bust texting and couldn't reach the light knob

l think we have touched all the bases about lights and no lights. Watch now that l have said this. Rain, fog, snow, road spray, dawn or dusk. The color of the car or pick-up that will NOT have it's lights on will be silver or lite gray. What ever color blends in perfectly with the road conditions.   Remember, Wipers on Lights on.   .....Hippy 

• Like 2

Everyone on here is right in the money. The new blue headlights in cars are way to bright even when dimmed, id bet 50% or more of the traffic I meet can’t figure out how to dim so as crass as it may be I do not dim until they do. That’s the only thing that seems to remind them. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

carlotpilot;you could get them as a option on any g m car in 57. seen a 57 chev with factory one on.i have a after market one that we ( dad and I ) put on our 59 chev .worked like a hot dam. one of the off shore manufactory's will bring one out  and say it's the newest thing since sliced bread

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOB DINGSDALE said:

carlotpilot;you could get them as a option on any g m car in 57. seen a 57 chev with factory one on.i have a after market one that we ( dad and I ) put on our 59 chev .worked like a hot dam. one of the off shore manufactory's will bring one out  and say it's the newest thing since sliced bread

I did`nt think there were any still in existence :thumb:

21 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

anybody remember the (autronic) eye   think thats what they were called  53-54 caddies &some oldsmobiles had em  automatic dimmer switch

Cadillac changed the name to Auto Dimming as an option until the end of 1986, both of my '77 Eldo's have Auto Dim,  Auto Delay and Twilight Sentinel with turns the headlight on a dusk and if the hi beams are on it dims them for on coming vehicles.

My 70 Chrysler 300 Hurst also has it but  the car was seriously hurt so it's moot.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

All that auto stuff is nice but; all the people that drive now don’t understand the proper way & undoubtedly don’t know if it’s not automatic. Most of the folks now know how to read the fuel gauge & if the low fuel light doesn’t come on there in trouble.

• Like 1

Clueless idiots activate the brights without knowing as they randomly use their signals.  Since that isn't often they leave their brights on.  Brights do such a horrible job of lighting the road you can't tell they are on.  No one looks at the dash to notice the blue indicator.

I don't drive at night if at all possible.  Can't believe how much I hate driving anymore.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 8:00 PM, MHfred said:

When I suspect you have your high beams on and you don't dim them or put on high beams after I put on my high beams I leave my high beams on. Apparently some vehicles require a lot of work to dim their lights.

As irritating as the bright/improperly aimed lights is the fool who runs around in the dark because he can see. DUH?? We would like to be able to see you.

You're right about that, and i've been seeing it more and more, driving after dark with no lights.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:48 AM, Freightrain said:

Clueless idiots activate the brights without knowing as they randomly use their signals.  Since that isn't often they leave their brights on.  Brights do such a horrible job of lighting the road you can't tell they are on.  No one looks at the dash to notice the blue indicator.

I don't drive at night if at all possible.  Can't believe how much I hate driving anymore.

me too.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.