Cummins V903 Celebrates 50 Years in Service

kscarbel2

Chicken producer Holly Farms on the shore had a fleet of Kenworth K100s with VT903s. They were every bit as bad as you heard.

This was a case of, "If all else fails, sell it to the government. They buy low bid no matter what".

The Mack E9, as the French can tell you, was a far superior V8 powerplant for the military applications described.

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

Chicken producer Holly Farms on the shore had a fleet of Kenworth K100s with VT903s. They were every bit as bad as you heard.

This was a case of, "If all else fails, sell it to the government. They buy low bid no matter what".

The Mack E9, as the French can tell you, was a far superior V8 powerplant for the military applications described.

I’m not trying to be rude but how could a bad engine stick around for 50 years. Seems like a testament on how well it was built. I know nothing about them just purely a speculative observation. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I wonder if it's just a case of the engines sucking at lower power levels and kind of came into it's own in the 600hp spec.... it's odd that they stated reliability improved at 600hp over the 500hp setting so that leads me to believe that whatever they were using in the 500hp version and below is why they were unreliable???? I dunno just curious because I always heard they sucked too.

I do believe light weight given high horsepower was a selling point for service in bulk transport (tankers).  we never had any on east coast but they were used in Calif.  And the experience was not good, although I have no specifics.  Looking at all the comments on this thread however, that experience appears to be common.

I think they were Cummins' answer to the 318 h.p. 8V-71.  Flat torque curve, pull to 2,800 r.p.m., only needed a 5 speed transmission.  They did have a very nice sound to them.  50 years in production, but not in any highway trucks since the early 80's.  Cummins has had worse ideas.........

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

In 4wd tractors they were good for around 2500 hours. Most were replaced with a 855. 

I remember hearing the Cummins triple nickels that were in the versatile tractors were not well liked.  I heard it was because the flywheel bolts were prone to breaking under a load and did so often. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I've always been amazed at how disliked the V903 is in the U.S.A..

Here in Australia they had (& still have) an awesome reputation & They made a lot of people a lot of Money. They were  regarded as very durable reliable Engines. (albeit a bit thirsty).

Grain harvest has just started here & quite a few have come out Farmers sheds for the next few Weeks.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

44 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I've always been amazed at how disliked the V903 is in the U.S.A..

Here in Australia they had (& still have) an awesome reputation & They made a lot of people a lot of Money. They were  regarded as very durable reliable Engines. (albeit a bit thirsty).

Grain harvest has just started here & quite a few have come out Farmers sheds for the next few Weeks..

Are farmers getting 10,000 plus hours out of them there? 

• 3 years later...

I was tanking for Diamond Tank Lines in Calif in the 1970's when this was a new spec engine.  We had two trucks with V903's.  They were OK, but not the pick for long uphill hauls into the Sierra's.  My Pete had an I6. But the VT903'a would run fine on the flat and coastal hills.

We also had one V8 Mack and that was the cats meow ...

Later I was in marine engineering for NOAA.  We had some Uniflites with twin VT903's that ran really well.  Over 7,500 hours that I was aware of.  They love constant speed operation and lots of cooling water 🙂

I wouldn't mind having one in a ATHS truck for show and fun ...  Maybe a '78 Fruitliner cabover with a sleeper ...

Edited by Broc Luno

• 1 year later...

In the late 70's CF transitioned from the 855 engine to the VT903 in our Line Haul tractors. Early on, there were cam follower and cam failures. This was due to fuel dilution caused by leaking injector o-rings. The root cause of this was that the Injectors were secured by only a single bolt crab style hold down. This and the harmonics and vibrations of the V8 caused the o-rings to flatten out and pass fuel into the engine. The problem was solved by incorporating an injector o-ring change into the PM schedule. I believe it was somewhere in the 150,000 mile range. 

As a side note, as we were working through this problem, we were talking to the Cummins engineers and they were telling us of the 1200 HP 903's that were used in army combat vehicles. This was full military power. When they were questioned on the longevity of such an over fueled engine their answer was the Army told them the average time a tank survived in a tank battle was 20 minutes so they needed the engine to last a little longer than that. 

As for me I always preferred an inline 6 cyl engine but the 903 was far superior to the 6v-92 that CF was transitioning to from the 8v-71at about the same time. 

i never had the opportunity to run a 903.

i did however have 2 triple nickels. one in a clark loader, and one in a freightliner single axle truck. 

the loader was natural asperated and a screamer. revved real fast, like a 2 stroke detroit.

the little dump was turboed, and was also a screamer, but it did not have the power to pull hills with over 8 ton load.  

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..