Young Helping The Old

16 minutes ago, j hancock said:

The 1920 Mack AC got a ride to the show.  

The AC had been originally built as a fire truck for Keene, NH but it had been cut apart many years ago.  It was beautifully reconstructed as a dump truck.

Kurzontkowski.JPG

And the owner, Rich, told me that it once hung on the wall of a bar. He is the original owner of that gorgeous R model too.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

4 hours ago, mackey58 said:

Oh yea solid rubber tires no tunes no cruise no a/c no gps lol wonder what top speed was 40 45 bet it was 10 cents a gal for gas .I don't remember  what he said but I bet it was an all day trip 

More like 15 to 25 mph. I remember reading somewhere that the AB's were geared to around 16 mph top speed.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

15 hours ago, mackey58 said:

Oh man so it did take  all day joliet to milwaukee

When Herb Fleck shows his Mack Senior he has a board that tells how long it took to drive to MA from Allentown. It was weeks, not days as I recall.

10 hours ago, fxfymn said:

When Herb Fleck shows his Mack Senior he has a board that tells how long it took to drive to MA from Allentown. It was weeks, not days as I recall.

6 weeks.  I've only driven it a hundred feet or so and that was too much like work.

11 hours ago, j hancock said:

Here is a quick story about early trucking involving Goodyear's Wingfoot Express 100 years ago in 1917.

Things have changed a bit in 100 years!

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/about/history/wingfoot-express.html

story says they made it back in 5 days . highway construction must have hit an all time record for completion     

On 10/25/2017 at 3:59 PM, mackey58 said:

Oh man so it did take  all day joliet to milwaukee

Bill,

The  town of Half Day,Ill. (Rt. 60 & Milwaukee Ave.), got it's  name for being the halfway point between  Chicago  & Milwaukee. It would  take  you  a "Half Day" just to get that far,back  in  the  day. Al  

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

11 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

jim h   in you`re vast library of info what is the time frame for invention and production of the mechanical air compressor and how was it powered

Lots of history to the air compressor from bellows in blacksmith shops to the modern equipment we all know today.  In the middle 1700's, folks were powering mechanical air compressors with water wheels and steam powered would soon be used.  Electricity would have been an option in large cities to run compressors in the early part of the century.  Being on the road and in rural areas in 1917, the Goodyear folks probably had a little hit and miss engine running their compressor mounted on a small skid.  If a truck was damaged or wrecked, the compressor would be fairly portable to move into another truck and keep going.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

On 10/26/2017 at 1:50 PM, j hancock said:

Here is a quick story about early trucking involving Goodyear's Wingfoot Express 100 years ago in 1917.

Things have changed a bit in 100 years!

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/about/history/wingfoot-express.html

Never heard of Paul Litchfield before I read this article.I raise my glass to him.When eventually I cross over like all mortals ,if he is a drinking man we can have one together.