Comparing Grainger's and McMaster-Carr

I like dealing with McMaster Carr. I have never dealt with Graingers. If you were to place an order with them before noon and have it shipped to a business address, you will get it the next day. Being in Philly, most of your orders will be shipped from New Jersey. If you go online to order, it will state when it will ship and from where. They accept return with no problem. Good quality items.

Several years ago I wanted an electric pressure washer for cleaning basement walls on a rental house I was redoing. I have gas one but didn't want fumes inside. Check Northern and there's was around $700; checked Grainger and the same spec pressure washer was $1,300. Told the Grainger person I was going to Northern to save $600. Their comment was "let us check that out and we will get back to you." I ended up getting it from Grainger at Northerns price had it the same day and did not have shipping. Grainger does play price games and price is based on amount of business you do with. More volume the lower the price.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

We have both local enough I get same day service from either sometimes(depends on if they have it in stock). Master has more of the unique stuff(hardware and stuff). Grainger is more mechanical stuff. I keep both books handy and get it from either.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Went to order from Grainger years ago.Needed a tax I.D. & other B.S.,so I just forgot about them & ordered from Northern.Now I see they have several retail stores,gee what a concept! Got the runaround from my local Fastenal store, and a good friend suggested McMaster-Carr. That outfit has everything I was looking for and like you guys said "fast shipping". For restoration fasteners,they are tops in my book. Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I don't do alot of business with them but they do have alot of wierd stuff. I bought brass set screws to use on modding a Holley carb. They were 20% of the cheapest I could find on amazon which was way cheaper than the local home depot. They also have a good selection of off size drill bits in stock. Those crazy 64ths sizes that taps like to call for max thread engaugment.

Don't order a lot from either anymore but as far as I'm concerned if McMaster doesn't have it you don't need it!

One time I remember needing metric steel tubing for repairing the brakes on a Mudslimer. Needed the truck on Sunday ordered the tubing from McMaster Carr on Friday

with a Saturday delivery, got her done!

Ron

My purchases are fewer and smaller compared to most of you but I always check McMaster-Carr first, ever since I learned that Grainger wasn't the only game in town for the hard to find stuff.

Pitt Ohio handles a lot of freight for both suppliers and when you have either on your truck, it's in your best interest to get it delivered. I once delivered a snow blower at 10:30 am that was ordered just before 4:30 the day before through McMaster. The guy literally looked as if he was turning pale and about to faint. I guess he'd never dealt with them before.

Jim

I'm forced under contract to use MSC Industrial (catalog house) for my maintainence needs but I'll overstep my purchasing dept and go with McMaster-Carr every time.

Whether is valves, fittings, hardware whatever, I'll get it next day via their local delivery van. They are close enough to me for Will Call if I need it the same day.

Their catalog/webpage is direct and to the point and the prices are reasonable. I'll use Grainger in a pinch because they will work with you on price for more expensive items but my first choice is always McMaster.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

Let me put my part in to the story.

I haven't deal with Grainger's but I probably will.

Because I had some "nice" practice with McMaster.

Maybe some of you remember heart-touching story when I was in the US one of our members Paul Roncetti gave me full McMasters paper catalog.

He was surprizingly so friendly so knowing I was going to visit Matt Pfahl sent that quite heavy book to his adress to achive me.

I was too impressed both the way of getting it and the content of the book and after being home I registred on their web-site, filled up the order (for about $100) and... got the answer. Here you can see it:

"Hi Vlad,

Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from our established customers. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We cannot accept this order or future orders.

Christopher"

I didn't stop on that point and contacted local dealer who has a partnership in the US to provide me with that stuff.

They also got the answer "No", how they deskribed it to me "due to the small amount of merchandize, they used to work with monthly big deals only".

I didn't stopped again though, contacted my friends in Holland, the asked their friends in NY, those folks ordered the stuff,and GOT IT with no troubles.

The rest of the story was also nice - American guys brang all that in a plane by their Christmas trip to Holland, than it was shipped to my another friend to Germany, than his father carried it in his luggage by plane along his trip to Moscow. And I finally got it. Funny for shure. Uhhh...

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad I can relate to your story. My cousins can't get much from here unless I send it then it takes 2 months to get! My company uses Fastenal from nuts and bolts to cleaning supplies. They come once to twice a week to fill the bins and orders.

Interesting point Tim,

I'm right about the moment to loose my feel that I was the one of the kind :banana:

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012