Working on the rear crossmember of the Superliner (working on the trailer hitch)...new nuts wont go on old bolts or vice-versa...tape and die wont repair...come to find out they are 5/8-13 thread...WTF...never heard of such a thing! Can't find any information...is this some Mack only thread?!? Anybody got anything?

THAT ONE IS A REAL PAIN IN THE HEMROID

Damn! Guess they are M16-2.0...would not have thought my truck had any metric! Guess you learn something everyday!

yep the nut goes on a few threads and then your best 1/2 impact cant do more than just wreck about 7/16 worth of threads the damn nuts don't seem to pile up but the bolt threads do!!!

Yep Metric frame bolts in a Mack, I got no idea why they mixed sae and metric fasteners but they did.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Does USA use the metric system? Nope. But it's getting there - inch by inch :D

Once I had a really hard time to get SAE taps and dies for one project. A friend brought me a case of them from Australia.

Here in Europe we don't use anything else but metric system any more - and it's really convenient!

Good luck with your project, leversole and have a nice day everybody

Paweł

The second generation "RWI" Super-Liner (RW600) and MH Ultra-Liner share a common chassis which uses metric "body bound" bolts. There's a service bulletin that lays out the overall and shank lengths by size.

We're accustomed to the English system, but the metric system is actually more versatile.

Replaced the Buick V6 in parents car many years back. It was an '87, put an '86 motor in from a buddy. The '86 had SAE bolts for the front accy's and the '87 was all metric. I had to go buy a bunch of odd bolts to put it back together.

Mid 80's is when things started to switch over. You have to keep both sets of sockets/wrenches handy. Love my old 60's stuff. With about 4 wrenches you can completely dismantle a car/truck.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I have had it explained for years metric is more precise, better, adaptable, the "world standard" etc....

The world standard for who?

BS.

I think it has only helped sell more wrenches and fasteners and make repair work more difficult and expensive especially when a vehicle has mix and match nuts and bolts.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Too sorry about those stories folks.

I can feel your pain so deep.

Because, as Pawel said, there's no SAE stuff here at all!

Or just at all.

The SAE hardware on my Mack trucks is a kind of adventure to me, an additional point of luck to keep it all original.

Although a mixture of metric stuff with inches looks to me as a real BS.

Leslie, if the things will go really bad I can send some best quality bolts and nuts off Mercedes-Benz cars. Used though.

McMaster might be ready to help I hope. They weren't too friendly to me though being saying "No stuff to Russia by any way".

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

The reason there is a mixture is that when a component is designed new, normally the manufacturers design it for metric fasteners. If it is a part they used before they started using metric, it is inch sized. If they buy an off-the-shelf item from a vendor, it might be inch sized.

The quicker things get changed to all metric, the better. But it will be difficult to switch over for some things. There are metric sized tires, but they go on inch sized rims. Metric sockets that go on 3/8 and 1/2 drivers. And a 2x4 stud or a 4x8 sheet of plywood will be hard to change.