Old Truck Stops and Pics

farmer52

How about the old Fat Harvey's on I-5 in Canyonville, OR. Big sign along the freeway said...."Don't pass Fat's gas"! You had to of eat'n there to understand that one! My old man and I rolled in there late one night and there was a new bathroom built off the fuel island. We both walked in and stared at the rain gutter along a 4ft high block wall with a lean to shed roof over it. My Dad looked at me and said this place put trucks stops back 5o yrs.

That would be the Mayflower truck stop and Mayflower Kenworth . They had several employees selling at discount out the back door tires batteries oil . When they finally closed they found a diesel tank leaking bad . Bridge Haven Ford was behind Secondis Bro s they sold all the parts and chassis to U.P.S and when they broke away they bought all of his UPS inventory and all the trailers are bought from Atlantic star trailers in Cheshire Conn.

Ed

Country Girl Diner in Chester, Vermont. As a kid I would beg my folks to stop so I could get the latest Overdrive. Been through alot of different owners over the years.

Mike, is this the same diner in Chester with all the old car memorabilia? Very nice place to see some cool stuff. Friends of mine once owned the Victorian Lady in Chester and would take us there when we would come down off the hill.

Thanks! I couldn't remember the name of the KW dealer,but I did recall they advertised in OVERDRIVE magazine,that was the place I saw my very first KW aerodyne C.O.E. I remember eating in the Mayflower diner many times,as I recall they had pretty good stuffed cabbage...........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 5 years later...

I've been in most of the stops mentioned! Used to haul steel out of homestead pa to Buffalo would go west one exit off I 79 to the Green shingle in the 70s became a rathole like speed @ Briscoe and many iconic stops! In the " old days" the waitresses were on "the menu" at S@B and the little place at x3 on I70 in Pa,also at "The Windmill" near Wheeling WV and that place on I-81 in Pa.and a stop on301 in S.C. Hey, anybody remember the truck stop on I 80 in Pa with the electric train running around the ceiling? Was a little bigger than "O" scale.Thanks for the memories guys!

Joe B's at the end of the Jersey pike, great guy, all the Dewitt and Gallimore drivers stopped there, was more for the produce haulers back then, Morris and Horris Dewitt had a office there in the summer for garbage state produce, all the LG Dewitt trucks came in, they had Freightliner cabovers with the AC plumbed into the Thermo King, of course you had Perdue and Cookin Good chicken trucks (Showell Farms) Bob Allen trucks were there too. Joe gave all the ex cons jobs, they fueled your truck and parked it for you while you ate, you could get anything you wanted there, had the best Christmas trees, Yellow jackets and Black beauties on the east coast. 

• Like 1

How about the 101 truck Stop in NC, had one fuel pump (don't think it worked) and it had like a 60 watt light bulb above it, counter to have a light lunch at and the best cat house in the back, lady that owned the place was the best, loved her, just a really good person, same with the 99r in Santee , and the All American, all gone now just history,  the 101 is a DOT storage yard the fuel pump is gone but the stupid single light was still there when I went by last time.  

How about the El Cheapo in Richmond Hill GA. had a red headed girl in there that ran the place, had the biggest set of hooters, had a raised floor for the cashiers, she would stand on the step put a hooter on each side of my head and warm my ears up, what a great place,  back in those days I was known for wearing really nice colorful flowered shirts from the foliage houses, was in there with my guys and some NC super trucker come in doing the chicken walk and was complaining about tourist taking to much time with cashier (I was the tourist he was referring too) my red headed informed him that that every truck on the entire fuel islands belonged to the tourist, he left with out getting fuel, those were the days, sad day when the red head ran off with a truck driver never to heard from again, although heard a rumor she might be back, my ears feel warmer already.

• Like 1

I remember some of those mentioned ,   Jubitz  in Oregon, Boomtown in Nevada , Sapp Bros. in Neb. ,  Petros in Amarrillo , Tx. , Rip Griffins east of Albuquerque , N. M.   ,   A couple real wild ones ,( when I was over the roading in the "80's) , were the 76 in Ontario , Ca. and Zimmers on Peck road Whittier, Ca.  ..     One that I really remember ,  I got caught in a blizzard in Wyoming and shut down for a day and a half at the little city itself , Little America near Green River , Wyo. .  That was a cool place.     

It might not be considered a truck stop by as a kid on the way back from New Jersey.  If Hot Dog Johnny's was packed we would always stop at the Crossroads diner on route 46. Back lot was always full.

• 7 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 6:15 AM, Coenut said:

It might not be considered a truck stop by as a kid on the way back from New Jersey.  If Hot Dog Johnny's was packed we would always stop at the Crossroads diner on route 46. Back lot was always full.

hot dog Johnnies is still there and just as good as ever. 

crossroads closed a few years ago after the owners retired after 41 years. it was sold and moved to new york last year where it was planned to reopen under a new name. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

And on I-78 at exit 13 was Johnny's, which I think is now a Pilot, and a mile east of it was Louise's.. I remember when Louise's expanded / remodeled they built the new diner around the old one and then threw the old one out the windows and never shut down or missed a meal..

Brocky

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2014 at 2:36 PM, other dog said:

And Pliny Truckstop on rt.35 in Pliny, W.V. had a huge burger called the Pliny Burger, it had one of everything on it- a burger patty, ham, salami, maybe bologna, maybe even Spam, plus the standard lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onion. It's closed now too.

Scrapple? 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

On 1/28/2014 at 6:32 PM, other dog said:

I remember it too. I never stopped there, but I knew other drivers that did. I remember one time I was coming out of Chicago on a Friday evening. I was driving either an F model Mack or a K100, I don't remember.

I made my way through the worst of the traffic, finally got on 65 south, and south of rt. 30 figured I could finally make some good time and be home early Saturday morning...except there was this white Ford van in the left lane holding everything up. I was behind it in the left lane waiting for it to move over, but it never did. Another truck passed on the right and when he passed the van he told me to take a look and let him know if he saw what he thought he saw.

Soon as I got a break I moved to the right lane, looked in the van, and there was a beautiful blond girl (really-she was!) wearing nothing but a yellow robe. She was turned around facing the passenger window, leaning back against the man that was driving. One foot in the seat, one in the floor.The robe was completely open in front.

She got on the CB- might have been a walkie-talkie for all I know, I hadn't noticed an antenna- and said "sorry to hold you boys up, but I knew if we got over you wouldn't see anything."

I thanked her and told her if she ever saw me up that way again to please hold me up again. Anyway, that's where she said they were headed,to Naked City.

To this day it was the best seat cover shot i've ever seen.

You take pictures of every girl in a car between Pittsburgh Pa and Atlanta, Georgia........Where in the heck is THIS picture? 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 5 months later...