Old Truck Stops and Pics

farmer52

In another thread there is talk of a truck stop on I-81 that closed. I thought this would be a good topic of discussion and also see some pics of "back in the day".

I remember three (3) trucks stops near my home in central PA. Two (2) were along Route 22. One was at the bottom of Cresson mountain just west of Duncansville and another was at the top of Cresson mountain next to Cresson Ridge Diesel (old Mack dealer). The third, Peggy's Diner, is along Route 220 between East Freedom and Claysburg. As a kid I was facinated by all the "rigs" sitting at these stops. I searched for pics but found nothing.

Peggy's Diner is still open but not many trucks stop there, just locals. I don't usually go that direction but would like to stop in and see if they still have good food.

Looking forward to hearing stories and seeing pics of "old truck stops".

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Good idea for a topic Ken! i'll "get er' started" many oldtimers remember the famous or (in-famous) Rubes Jersey City Truckstop, place has been the subject of many tall tales over the years! A lot of the meat/produce haulers would hang out there after delivering to Hunts Point or the old Bronx Terminal Market...................................Mark

post-5836-0-87401600-1390756313.jpg

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I miss the Green Shingle on I90 just west of Erie, Pa. That was a great stop. The American Travel plaza in Frystown use to be one of my hang outs. Sad to see that the Flying crook aka, Pilot took over. just isn't the same

• Like 2

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Good idea for a topic Ken! i'll "get er' started" many oldtimers remember the famous or (in-famous) Rubes Jersey City Truckstop, place has been the subject of many tall tales over the years! A lot of the meat/produce haulers would hang out there after delivering to Hunts Point or the old Bronx Terminal Market...................................Mark

I stopped there once in '79, hadn't been driving but a few months. I had unloaded in Deptford, N.J. and was going to Gardner, Ma. to pick up something, load of furniture I think. I was scared to get out of the truck though.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

You folks remember the truck-n-trailer sitting on top of the oil tanks in Fultonville, Ny? There were 2 stuffed characters in the cab. Snowbunnie and fluffie? Thruway mafia made the truckstop take it down.

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

The Union 76 TruckStop Exit109 at I-40 Gallatin Tn. It has been torn down for the plaza type. The two lane roads had many truckstops. The one I recall near where I lived as a kid was the SkyLine Resturant, near the airport, corner of Murfreesboro Road and Donelson Pike. Everyone came to that place because of the good food. It had cabins next to the Resturant for over nighters. It is now an empty lot because the airport decide it needed an east/west runway. The Tn. Highway Patrol building is the only thing old in that area still going strong.

mike

Anyone remember The Wagon Wheel on 30 in Paradise Pa? When it was a real truckstop it was the WW, then it became the Rt 30 Family Restaurant and then a tourist trap called the Garden Gate Diner.

Back when it was the WW I ate many a meal there when riding with my pop in his Mercedes or one of the two F-Model Tractors.

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I miss the old Shennandoa truckstop in Mount Jackson VA. Exit 273 on 81. True southern hospitality with every fuel up you were given 3 free chicken wings and coffee. It is now a liberty truckstop and a total dive,

They still pump your fuel for you at Lee Hi, and clean your windows and mirrors. They used to give you a free coffee when you fueled, but not any more. One time the girl at the fuel desk asked me if I wanted my fuel receipts stapled and I said "yeah, at least i'll get a free staple."

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I miss the Green Shingle on I90 just west of Erie, Pa. That was a great stop. The American Travel plaza in Frystown use to be one of my hang outs. Sad to see that the Flying crook aka, Pilot took over. just isn't the same

I seem to recall they were near the top of my "nice showers" list.