I thought I had a good handle on this subject, and I know it has been beat to death previously, BUT, and I am only talking about PA...

From the CDL Drivers manual...

The Program requires you to have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) if you operate, or plan to operate any of the following

Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV’s):

a) A combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more,provided the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

B) A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds.

c) A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.

d) A school bus designed to carry 11 passengers or more, including the driver.

e) Any size vehicle which transports hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in accordance with Department regulations.

Exemptions: You do not need a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) to drive military equipment

while in military uniform, certain fire and emergency equipment owned by a fire company, or recreational vehicles, implements of husbandry, or certain motorized construction equipment.

It does not mention anything about Antique or Classic Trucks. My SuperLiner GVWR is 50,000lbs...

I cannot find any law that allows an Antique or Classic registration to be exempt from the above law...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Leslie

I agree with 2stack. If it is not used commercially, it must be recreational. My thought is that it may not need to be registered as an "RV" to be used as recreation. I would contact somebody in DOT and get a clarification.

From the PennDOT CDL fact sheet, this might help clarify what "recreational vehicle" means in PA - "motor home or recreational trailer operated solely for personal use." Hobby truck might be a stretch then. I have seen one guy in NY state who registered a tractor with sleeper as an RV - but that was NY and I don't know the rules there.

Commercial motor vehicles do not include:

a) implements of husbandry;

B) any motor home or recreational trailer operated solely for personal use; or

c) motorized construction equipment, including, but not limited to, motorscrapers, backhoes, motorgraders, compactors, excavators, tractors, trenchers and bulldozers.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-cdl.pdf

I'm getting married next week, not sure I want to know what an "implement of husbandry" is.

• Like 1

Pa DOT officers are ruthless, I wouldnt risk it. All it takes if for one cop to say you need a CDL, you're getting a ticket, and the truck is getting towed. Then you'll have to go to court and waste time and maybe the judge will call it recreational and drop the charges but you still lost the tow fee and all the time and hassles of court. Pa DOT set up a checkpoint about a 1/4 mile down the road from our shop. A couple of Macks got red tagged and towed to our shop. You could see our shop and still got towed. I wouldnt risk it.

It's red....you could always make it the "LEVERSOLE FIRE DEPARTMENT" truck. :whistling: :whistling:

This tows a camper trailer and is a non CDL unit. Run into him a Hersey every year.

001_zps4d2c7368.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Leslie,I am from Philly and have always had my CDL.But I was told when I put antique tags and my 1979 R model that I didn't need to have a CDL.I'm not supposed to be towing a trailer but have not ever had a problem as long as I'm only towing my antique Caterpillars.

I really don't know what the laws are state to state,but my personal thoughts are CDL weight,air-brakes,etc.even a "hobby" truck,still should have a CDL just to be on the safe side.......................................Mark

I think there should at least be some type of certification which doesn't require the time and expense of a CDL. A truck hobbyist bobtailing around in their pride and joy may be one of the safest drivers on the road, but there are some RV'ers out there every year that scare the hell out me.

I'm getting married next week, not sure I want to know what an "implement of husbandry" is.

You might wanna study up on that to prevent an akward situation on your wedding night. :)

Best wishes to you and your future Wife!

• Like 2

Jim

Leslie,

You talked about pulling a trailer with your Superliner. If you do that and get stopped, you are going to have a difficult time telling a creeper cop it is a hobby truck. Get your CDL and you won't have to worry. Unfortunately, if you get caught without one and are ticked, even if you do not need a CDL, you are guilty until proven innocent. Not worth the risk.

I got mine and do not have to worry.

• Like 1

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

you had to go and remind me of a joke!..i'm not even gonna tell it...too many people hate my stupid pictures,posts,and jokes already- you probably already heard it anyway. You know, the one about the guy that's never been with a woman before?..no experience?..none at all?..but he ends up getting married, and on his wedding night he tells his new bride his fears-

"I'm sorry honey, but...but I...I've never been with a woman before, I don't even know what i'm supposed to do!"

She said "don't worry silly- it'll all come natural- just take the hardest thing you've got and put it where I pee!"

So he jumps out of bed, gets his bowling ball out of the closet, and throws it in the commode...

That one- but i'm not gonna tell it.

I'm waiting for the punchline.......

Good one!

Thank heavens for Google

Jim

Ain't this a great topic!!! The old Large SUV has Ohio Historical Plates which should give me diplomatic every where. Right - everywhere cept MD. PA has never given me problems - guess they look at that piece of junk and figure it will never go fast enough to cause a problem. They just look down and start kicking gravels. But MD is bad for me. Scales at Frostburg seem to love me. Last trip - come on in - need to see your CDL and med card! I replied I was tagged Ohio HIstorical as he should have seen and I didn't need a CDL or card. As his neck swelled to the point of busting with me grinning like a jack ass eating briers, I threw out the CDL, fumbled around for a minute or 2, then threw out med card. His neck had swelled so big by that point, his ears were overwidth. I just stood there for a while, picked up my junk and left. Figured there would be hell to pay for that little stunt but he didn't shoot me in the back! Stood around in the lot talking a while and left.

Good luck with what ever you deceide to do, cause somebody some where is going to make a problem out of it

Out & out from Ignorant Ridge,

Tom

• Like 1

Play it safe and get one. When you go one it's one less thing the police/dot might be able to writ you up for.

In the end it will save all kinds of hassles. . . Large trucks are small town cash cows now that every municipality is getting in on truck checks. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Can you get a Non-Commercial Class A or Class B in PA? Maybe that is all you need if you are going to haul your own stuff or an RV trailer. If your truck is registered as Historical that should be sufficient. So, even if you weigh over 26,000 lbs the Class A covers it. I also think a 3 axle truck is going to attract more attention from the law than a 2 axle rig.

I got mine about 10 yrs ago. Same thing, better safe then sorry. I've only been questioned once at a scale house I pass every weekend on way to track. Got red lighted and called in. She asked for license and registration. I throw everything on the desk, told her it was historical plated and she checked my GVW and said sorry to hold me up. I got the hell outta dodge. Since they changed the reading of the signs(to commercial trucks...not "all trucks), I don't stop anymore.

I got the book, read it up real good, took my temp test. Waited about a month and called for test appt. Took the test(rented a truck from test station) and walked off with my CDL. No fancy school or crap. Just read the book and follow it. It's not rocket science.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I got my CDL the same way as Freightrain - studied manual and rented a truck. But I believe the rules have changed in that you must get your CDL by enrolling at a Driving School. Either way I recommend getting your CDL.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I got my CDL the same way as Freightrain - studied manual and rented a truck. But I believe the rules have changed in that you must get your CDL by enrolling at a Driving School. Either way I recommend getting your CDL.

I don't think you have to go thru a school. What happens if a business wants to train a new-hire w/o a CDL? Thats how I got mine but then again that was 9 years ago.

I don't think you have to go thru a school. What happens if a business wants to train a new-hire w/o a CDL? Thats how I got mine but then again that was 9 years ago.

This was discussed several months ago in several trade journals. I will have to look for the article. Not sure when it goes into effect but the bottomline is...to get a CDL you must get it thru a school.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I have been reading the manual myself and plan on taking the written test next month. A buddy of mine has a truck for me to use to take the road test with. I won't have an issue with the driving portion. I have been hauling big trailers for years so a long as I know my pre trip stuff and remember to double clutch I am fine. NJ makes sure you double clutch.

Even though I am looking for a hobby truck I would still like to hook a three car trailer and use it at my dealership to haul cars to auctions. This way I have a purpose to own it not just a large vehicle sitting around. Also if I am at the dealer auction and a truck rolls through and sells for cheap I have a way to get it back without having to phone a friend to drive it to my place.

This was discussed several months ago in several trade journals. I will have to look for the article. Not sure when it goes into effect but the bottomline is...to get a CDL you must get it thru a school.

IMHO thats a crock of crap. That's nothing but a big scheme and money maker.

Do not think you have to attend a school, just an approved 3rd party site that is qualified for testing purposes. You now have to have a permit for a set period of time prior to being able to get a license and drive alone. I lean toward agreeing with those that are advising you to get your license not only because of the DOT RAMBO TYPE mentality that is plentiful, but for the knowledge alone that you will gain to boost your confidence as well as your qualification level. Good luck!