Autocars

RFCDrum

Here is another shot of ATHS member Gaspar "Gap" Sparacio Stainless one, and one of it in it's day as a worker.

They used to have one of these parked in front of an Edgcomb Steel we used to load at, up north of Philly...can't remember the name of it. There was lots of Edgcomb Steel centers around, even one in Troy, Va. but it's Mac Steel now.

This one was at the White Bash at the Keystone Tractor Museum a few years ago.

post-1374-0-37290900-1419446725_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 3 months later...

Jim that looks like Tony Bullards Acar. Good looking Northeast style lowboy tractor. Single axle lowboy tractors were very popular and used in the Northeast part of U.S.until the mid 1980'S. Thanks Joe D.

Yes, it is Tony's. Took the picture at last years Green Mountain show. It has classic lines.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Beast machine. Cool to see IDOT still working this "old" truck.

They have a couple big beasts still working. I did an image search and a few others popped up. They have a newer Autocar and a big Western Star.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Illinois+Idot+tow+trucks&biw=1280&bih=827&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hhZIVazECI_GogT--oAo&ved=0CAkQ_AUoBA&dpr=0.9

Scanned a Autocar Mixer with an even longer nose! Paul

Gotta wonder what would happen in a wreck with that truck. Would it just slide right over top of a car with that long snout and monster truck

right over it? It's like a cabover with 10ft of nose in front of it.

They have a couple big beasts still working. I did an image search and a few others popped up. They have a newer Autocar and a big Western Star.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Illinois+Idot+tow+trucks&biw=1280&bih=827&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hhZIVazECI_GogT--oAo&ved=0CAkQ_AUoBA&dpr=0.9

one that caught my eye( corvette) with a wrecker boom on it . must be the ultimate repo rig

Paul I am shocked I have never seen another thing like that in my life thats how should I put it

"OUT THERE"

you could park that in a normal car park just hang the bonnet over the gutter might even block the foot path LOL

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know why but I really like this 1950 C50 that is at the York show 6 Flathead and two gearboxes, straight cab, lots of tar and blacktop in the frame. Don't know who owns it but it would be a sweet little truck fixed up. My bride has mentioned that I need my head examined.Some trucks just kinda grab ya

That's a good A car I see a ton of potential in it and looks to be an clean, complete unit. I'd find a spot for it toot sweet.

That and a early chain drive Pete would make me smile for months and months!! Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That green 1950 Acar was for sale by me in Northeastern,Pa. about 2 years ago. It was reasonable in price.It came from a concrete and blacktop plant in Scranton,Pa. H.B. Sproul who is now out of business. They were around forever as I remember. I went to look at it and did not call back until it was gone.I talked to new owner he plans on putting cab on a late model chassis,I think he said to pull travel trailer.Joe D.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Canadian with Sleeper!!

Canadian%20%20Acar_zpsvy4crmux.jpg

What was the purpose of that set up? Can't wrap my mind around why you would want/need a nose like that.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

What was the purpose of that set up? Can't wrap my mind around why you would want/need a nose like that.

CBM is a Canadian Concrete company and that unit hauls demo. CBM probably converted a mixer chassis, got the length and the typical 72" spread on the rears.

Post # 594 has a long nose mixer photo I posted.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE