Interesting Pictures

2stacksuperdog

Cool photos.

We had just moved to another house on Long Island and my Dad's Diamond Reo and rented trailer was backed up to the front door when the storm hit, and thats where it stayed for the better part of a week. He had planned to be off anyway but by the time he was ready to hit the road again we had made little headway in clearing a path to the street. It was probably 4-5 days later when we had a plow come in and clean it up and things were still a mess.

Jim

I sure wish i could find an "abandoned" Brockway sitting alongside the road like the one in the first picture! i remember that storm well,hit Jersey pretty hard,we actually had the National Guard helping plow in South Jersey with 6X6 army trucks. My dad was on the road in Chicago i believe,talked to him on the phone,he said it was the first time ever he had been "snowed out" of anywhere! as most all the major roads were closed for days....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I remember that storm well, a combination of a Northeaster and Hurricane, lasted 3 full days. Took over a month to dig out the Boston area. The National Guard flew in equipment to Albany, they plowed all the way to Boston on the Mass Pike, cutting down guard rails with acetaline torches to cross the highway. They flew more equipment to Warwick, RI to plow north and meet up with the units coming in from the west. State Police headed north and west from Cape Cod with many volunteers on snowmoblies and using long probes located cars buried on the interstates. Many people died in their cars, I swore Id never ever see another storm like that. The above pic with bulldozers looks like they are plowing into Boston on the Southeast Expressway. Building in distance is definately the Prudential Center...Paul

RONCETTI

Cool photos.

We had just moved to another house on Long Island and my Dad's Diamond Reo and rented trailer was backed up to the front door when the storm hit, and thats where it stayed for the better part of a week. He had planned to be off anyway but by the time he was ready to hit the road again we had made little headway in clearing a path to the street. It was probably 4-5 days later when we had a plow come in and clean it up and things were still a mess.

I managed to get on the LIE about 5 days after the storm from Rte.135 heading to Grummans in Calverton and had to run to Riverhead and back to Rte135 as there was only the entrance ramps opened up and only 3 exits opened up between 135 and Riverhead. Most of the LIE and Rte135 were a single lane around stranded cars and trucks too.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I spotted another U model!!!! It's behind them two R models side by side, I can see the U models red air cleaner and stainless passenger mirror bracket stickin' out back there.

Vinny, look closer at those two R models, the one on the left sure has a long mirror bracket on the passenger side, you can see the whole exhaust pipe without vertical muffler and its inboard of the mirror. I bet that there R is actually a U if you really look.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

For clean up they took anything with a dump body, 10 wheelers worked all night for 2 months. Local sand and gravel co. came to me for any 673 engines or parts to get trucks running from the their parts trucks and all the pit trucks were there. No registrations nothing.

FW

• Like 2

I remember that storm too I was around 6 years old at the time. We moved into our new house that summer and the deck off the back was 8' off the ground. We were jumping off the deck into the snow like it was a cushion. Huge snow forts could be found everwhere around the neighborhood. Ah memories.

• Like 1

ya,,,i remember it quite well...roads were closed for days,,,the entire east coast was shut down,,,they had to clear the highways,,with payloaders,,,i was workin for nissens bakery at the time,,,and we had to carry letters off athority to come to work,,and haul the products,,,because cars were banned from travel for days,after that,everybody was on foot,,walking to corner stores,,and markets,,trying to buy food,,it was horrible...bob

• Like 1

I was living in Bethpage and working in Grummans transportation dept. They sent a snowmobiles to get all the drivers to work clearing the facility and the runways

Amazing now that you look back, the mess was worse than Sandy and cleaned up faster. I don't even recall power outages. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE